What are some of your favorite movies?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What are some of your favorite movies?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #0
Leaving out, The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Matrix trilogy, and anything having to do with Harry Potter, what others movies are some of your favorites. When I said leaving out the first several, I meant that I hear them mentioned so often that it is becoming annoying. :mad:

Some of my favorites are...

Clue
The Goonies
The Halloween series
Event Horizon
Jurassic Park
Phantoms
The Haunting
Murder On the Orient Express
Watcher In the Woods
Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?
The Miracle Worker
Goldeneye
Summer Rental
Terminator 1 & 2

I will mention more when I think of them.

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #1
Shrek
Finding Nemo
Blair Witch Project
Scream 1,2,3
American Pie 2
Scary Movie 1,2

more later... :D

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 15:02: Message edited by: What's the name? ]
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #2
Bad Taste
(Funny movie by Peter Jackson.)

The Usual Suspects

Hudson Hawk

Goldfinger

White men cant jump

The Dragon Lance movies, when they finally come out in the future.
(Actually I dont think there has been any mention of Dragon Lance movies, but one can always hope.)

--------------------
I be rockin' da paradise baby.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #3
Actually, a guy in my school knows about them, and every time he hears something new he also tells me. Perhaps it's because I mentioned them at one point and.. well, long story, not interested in telling.

We both agree though, that if DL books are ever made to movies, they will without any doubt, suck.

I know that currently they have bad ideas for actors, no director and crappy ideas of shortening the story (and of course changing it gruesomely).

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #4
StarGate
Soldier
Back to the Future

That's about all I can think of off hand.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #5
The New Guy
It's a Wonderful Life :D
Fast and Furious
Panic
Christmas Vaction
Any Laurel & Hardy Films...

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #6
Movies I Loved:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Python: The Life of Brian
Monty Python: And Now For Something Completly Different
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Generations
Spaceballs
Lost in Space
Left Behind 1
Left Behind 2: The Tribulation Force
And I second Jurassic Park!

Movies I Hated:
Timeline (a discrace to the best book ever written)
Sphere (even worse of a discrace to a really good book)
Star Trek: Nemesis (they tried waaaay too hard)

Did I miss anything? More to come!

--------------------
Join RC's new (and paid-for) forum, www.chanceforums.tk

And that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped. -Sir Bedevere

It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #7
Terminator Series
Resident Evil
Rush Hour 1 & 2
Fast and the Furious 1 & 2

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I'm not much of a movie person. I don't know if I've even seen enough to have favorites. Adaptation is a good one to watch five times and still not understand, though. It's not a really lovable movie, but it is strikingly bizarre.

—Alorael, who would also like to give a nod to The Usual Suspects for being a brain-twister. Any movie you can't watch twice isn't worth watching once.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #9
Oooooooooooh. I loved Sphere. I don't like to read books before the movie. I prefer the movie. However, I must confess that I rarely watch new movies anymore. The most recent movie that I saw any of would probably have to be part of the first The Lord of the Rings movie. It was okay, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I am seldomly attracted to any of the most recent of the movies to come out. I prefer the classics and movies from the 70's 80's and 90's.

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Scooby Doo: The Movie
Sleuth
The Aliens series
The Thing (1980's version)
Weekend At Bernie's 1 & 2
Sister Act 1 & 2
Dante's Peak
The Langoliers
Star Wars Trilogy
Desperado
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
The X-Files

I will list classics later.

Once again, how can you not like Sphere? I find that reading a book and then watching a movie based on a book tends to spoil all the fun every time. If you read the book first, then you sit there expecting certain things to happen during the movie. When they don't happen or things are added, then you get pissed off about it not being exactly like the book and not up to the same standards.

My suggestion is to watch the movie first, and then read the book. Or better yet, don't read the damn book at all. I wanted to read Misery, but I decided to watch the movie first, and I enjoyed the movie immensely. When I read the book, I found that things were different, but it didn't bother me because I saw the movie first in all of its splendor and greatness.

Say what you like, but I believe that reading a book first ruins a person's expectation of how the movie should be and should be avoided at all costs.

--------------------

Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #10
IMAGE(http://www.joeythefilmgeek.com/reviews2/memento.jpg)

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #11
Though you may be right, most of the time the book is the origional. I like to read, especally Michael Crichton, especally Timeline. But I'm sorry, every one of his books that were turned into movies (Timeline, Sphere, JP 1&2, Andromeda Strain, Congo) turned out to be as not as good as the book. Dont get me wrong, Jurassic Park and the Lost World were good movies, but they were just sooo much better as books! But Sphere and Timeline were shamed by the movies they were made into.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #12
I feel that books are bad sources of media. Sure, the read can be good for your brain and can increase your knowledge, but if you put all of your emphasis on the book and keep that in mind while watching the movie, it takes all the fun out of it.

I like reading books as much as the next person, but as a person who has a hereditary habit of watching a movie and then scrutinizing it, I feel it is best to keep a clear mind while watching the movie. If you sit through a whole movie comparing it to the book it was based on, then you are setting yourself up for severe disappointment. The soul purpose of movies based on books is to give a good idea of what the book is like is real life.

It is nearly impossible to make a movie perfectly reflect a book and if you go around looking for that all the time, then I am sorry, but you are a complete idiot. Movies are not made to reflect books, they are made to entertain the brain. Sure, some movies are not as good as the book they are based on. But that is to be expected. There is no such thing as the perfect movie.

My advice is to forget about the book you read and focus your attention on the actual movie. You will find that you will enjoy it much more if you watch it without a biased view of it to start with. Never compare a movie to a book. Those of you that do happen to do that mustn’t have many movies that you actually like. I find that I enjoy movies much more if I leave the book out of it.

Phantoms for instance. I heard that the book was excellent and that the movie was a poor adaptation of it. But I enjoyed the movie and for the sake of having liked it, I am not going to go out and the read the book to see if it is so much better than the movie as I have heard. That biases the view of the movie and ruins the entertainment value of it.

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 21:10: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes - MSW ]

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #13
IMAGE(http://staff.desperance.net/alec/EoE-crap.gif)

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
Alec? The scene you were looking for was in the BEGINNING of the film. :P

I don't watch many movies, but LotR aside, Shawshank was nice. The Godfather movies are obviously in.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #15
My list includes:

The Hitcher
Basket Case 1 and 2
Yellow Submarine
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Sword in the Stone
Dreamcatcher
Identity

Can't think of any more at the moment, and it's bedtime.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Demento:

I don't watch many movies, but LotR aside, Shawshank was nice. The Godfather movies are obviously in.

I'd doubtless say the same, except I haven't seen the Godfather series, I don't have any particular enthusiasm for LotR (my favorite character got castrated bad), and I did not mean to accuse this topic of waaaaanking. :P

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Movies and books are really suited to very different stories. Action books are usually terrible, because action in text doesn't have quite the same impact as clashing swords, fiery explosions, and sudden gunfire that you can see and hear. On the other hand, a book can give more detail and more view into the minds of characters.

Most movies based on books are bad. Some are good, but I rarely like them as much as the book no matter which order I read them in. Books written based on movies are also almost always terrible. The two media are simply too different.

—Alorael, who doesn't see anything wrong with adapting a book to be a movie, or vice versa. In most cases the adaptation has to be heavy, and in the end the meaning and tone are often completely changed. If the director/author is not very good, the result is a wreck.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #18
The Shawshank Redemption is a good movie. The story that spawned it is good too, but nowhere near as good. Nowhere near as intense, or as big, or as meaningful.

So I guess it's an exception to the rule, really. :P

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #19
Forrest Gump (they say it's the most populistic-asslicking-movie ever but I can't help feling touched every time I watch it)

Total Recall (simply the best as a comedy! Also probably the bloodiest movie ever! Has anyone ever counted the bodies? A very sick movie.)

I'll probably add more later...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
I like the Godfather. And Gattaca. And AI.

I guess I'm just a fan of good movies. And Jude Law.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #21
I'm sorry, Drakey, but I'd have to disagree with you in a HUGE way about AI. I went to watch that movie thinking, "Wow. A Movie on artifical intellegence. This shouls be good." But as the ending drew closer I realized that the movie was terrible. And how did it end? As I recall it didnt!
(not meaning to flame ya there, buddy, just expressing my opinion)

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by USA-se Xenerali-boariku CUSITURA:

quote:
Originally written by Dr. Demento:

I'd doubtless say the same, except I haven't seen the Godfather series, I don't have any particular enthusiasm for LotR (my favorite character got castrated bad), and I did not mean to accuse this topic of waaaaanking. :P

Who got castrated?

MSW, I didn't know The Hobbit was a popular movie... ;)
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #23
I was making an attempt to leave out as many fantasy films as possible. I don't have much of a taste for them. I like horror movies and action movies. Some comedies are ok, but to me, American Pie was idiotic and not worth watching. Comedy movies continue to get dumber and dumber. Action movies are becoming boring. Horror movies are becoming stale. The whole movie industry is going downhill in my opinion.

The last of the good movies died out with Titanic and Halloween H20. I only saw parts of The Fast and the Furious and didn't like what I saw. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was good until the end. The end was terrible. It just sucked out loud. Ice Age was good.

Sorry, I have film critic in my genes. My gay cousin Terry used to be a film critic and I take many of my characteristics from him. I do the same scrutinizing of movies that he does. In all irony, he just appeared here at the house a few minutes ago. Go figure.

I don't know why, but movies made these days don't interest me as much as they should. I just don't know why.

--------------------

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #24
Jude Law can be good, but Enemy at the Gates was pretty terrible. I've got the book, which is non-fiction and covers a much wider scope than just Zaitsev on both sides. Enemy at the Gates is just too weak and somehow is more boring than the book or the reality. Incidentally, I read the book after I saw the film.

Aside from the ones already named, I feel I ought to mention Cross of Iron. I also feel I really ought to get round to seeing more of Sam Peckinpah's work.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again

Pages