Culture

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Culture
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #0
What is culture?

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #1
A bacteria growth.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #2
Depends on what you mean about 'Culture'

--------------------
Please, Mr. Squirrel, don't hurt me. What did I ever do to you???

I like bread and butter,
I like jam on toast
I like eating squirrels
Cause they taste like chicken

When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

There's nothing like irony, except for maybe double posting.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #3
A subset of humanity.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #4
Culture is the customary beliefs, social forms, and material, traits, of a racial, religious, or social group. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
"It's cool to be a robot." Scud

"Half human, half robot, all Sicilian." Tony Tastey

"|||| ||| |||| ||| ||| |||||?!? Drywall

"I'm calm.....GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME." Don Vito
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #5
Culture is the extelligence, that combined with your intelligence gives rise to your sense of self. That and all the extelligence that never ever even comes into contact with your intelligence. But those bits of culture aren't important to yourself, cause if they were they wouldn't be out of touch with you.

--------------------
Many an ancient lord's last words have been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh."
-Terry Pratchet
----
"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself. The world would be a happier place if more people remembered that."
-Lord Vetinari
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #6
Well hasn't someone stolen a Psych textbook lately?
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #7
Are we going to discuss culture's significance or merely its definition?
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #8
MD: actually i got that from a book by Terry Pratchet and 2 co-authors, called 'The Science of Discworld II: the Globe'

And i think discussing the significance of culture is quite pointless, as everyone has a subjective view of their own culture, and a narrow subjective view of other cultures.
Besides,the question was: What is culture.

The only things worth talking about in my opinion is how cultures interact, and describing aspects of cultures. The last mainly cause i'm just curious. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
Many an ancient lord's last words have been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh."
-Terry Pratchet
----
"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself. The world would be a happier place if more people remembered that."
-Lord Vetinari
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
Nobody mentioned language being an important part of culture yet? Well I do now... Language Shapes Culture IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture_files/tongue.gif) (That's what we just found out after discussing in school today).

On that note, methinks someone is trying to get us do their Theory of Knowledge homework... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #10
Language shapes culture? Only to a very slight degree, otherwise America, England and Australia would have much more similar cultures, and South America wouldn't have rebelled against Spanish rule...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #11
I am smart enough and resourceful enough to do my own homework, thank you. And anyway, if you guys give me some weird answer, I would sound very stupid saying to my teacher, "Oh, I got it off of the Spiderweb messaging boards".

But I AM curious to see if culture can explain things like the war in Iraq, Kobe Bryant, etc. (basically modern news).

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #12
Culture is the answer to Why.

or not. But that might make a good quote or essay question (but not answer).

Borc, I bet you believe in memes too, dontcha?

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #13
'sright, Od, and i swear i met this orangutan the other day, asking directions to the nearest library.. allthough i could've sworn he just said 'Ook?' IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture_files/biggrin.gif)

[ Tuesday, September 02, 2003 13:43: Message edited by: Borc ]

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #14
What are memes?

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #15
A lingual entity constructed with the right amount of luck and care to be clever and profound-looking enough to attract hordes of idiots like moths to a flame, causing it to be propagated far beyond what it deserves. One-year-old mêmes embarass 90% of the people who participated in them and sexually arouse the rest for no discernable purpose.

See All Your Base, Mr. T Ate My Balls, the Hitchhiker Trilogy.

[ Tuesday, September 02, 2003 20:15: Message edited by: Barrel General Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #16
You'll have to send that definition to the reductionist sociobiologist Richard Dawkins, who originated the concept (his own 'meme' / hype?!). I doubt he would be amused - all the more reason to send it to him. Watch it though - it's disturbing what quasi-religious fervour this professional atheist inspires amongst his fans, all of whom thought their lives 'meme'-ingless before they came to revere his sacred texts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
A meme is some concept that gets spread around. Fads are memes. Watching television is a meme. Using despisms on Spiderweb is a meme. Even hating spam is a meme, more or less. Memes are everywhere.

—Alorael, who finds meme evolution theories fascinating. Yesterday's despism is no longer acceptable at all. Darwinian selection will eliminate you from the social pool.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #18
A meme is simply an atomic idea. A single concept. That's all. Memetics is the study of the spread of ideas. Just because it's been buzzed and applied to idiocy on the Web doesn't mean it's useless.
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #19
an idea is not a meme until it causes you to try and share this idea with someone else. during the transmission of a meme, it will change because the receiver interprets the idea slightly (or wildly) different than the transmittor. The study of the spread AND evolution of memes is memetics.
I know some people don't believe in memes, and are actively trying to plant this idea into the minds of others, thus proving that memes exist.

In relation to the topic, a culture is a group of memes that has evolved and been propagated for long enough, to reside firmly in the minds of a group of people.

[ Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:53: Message edited by: Borc ]

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
An idea that you don't pass around is still a meme, it's just a poorly-adapted meme. By analogy, a gene is still a gene if nobody with it reproduces.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Apprentice
Member # 3388
Profile #21
The whole point is the trying to pass it on. some genes on your DNA are activated to cause you to try to have sex.. in analogy, memes are only those ideas that you try to share, wether succesfull or not. Secrets aren't memes for example.

Besides, the propagation of genes and the propagation of memes is very different in all sorts of aspects. Genes come in pairs, memes don't have to, or could come in a wide variety on the same theme. The set of genes that in the end causes you to become sexually aroused also makes sure half your genes are propagated, memes can do nothing of the sort, except for some very powerfull ones like 'god exists'. And even for that meme, there's no telling how much of the bible or any other religious book you are going to start believing in.

--------------------
-Terry Pratchet
----
-Lord Vetinari
Warrior
Member # 3252
Profile #22
Anyone familiar with the work of Daniel Quinn? (Ishmael, My Ishmael, etc.) He refers frequently to the "voice of Mother Culture" as a means to explain society's near universal acceptance of an extremly unnatural way of living. Great read, if you're into that sort of thing...

--------------------
Learn About The Man Behind the Messiah.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #23
Hm, not sure about the gorilla though.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Only a gorilla can expose and explain the foibles and follies of mankind, especially when the protagonist has to go through life without a name.

—Alorael, who was impressed by Ishmael (the book). He didn't always agree, but he could see why it has a cult following.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages