Culture

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Culture
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #50
This is enough. Everyone who's been here for a while knows that JF has a serious problem with spelling that gets worse when he feels excited or under pressure. No reason to feel superior because of this, you all have problems of your own.

--------------------
Polaris
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #51
*sides with ef*

Arancaytar, do not be breaking Drakey's CoC just to spite Johnnyfeds...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #52
Huh? I broke the CoC? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (3)_files/confused.gif)

That last post wasn't nice, admittedly - ef, I might have been here a while, but not so long that I'd know about his spelling problem.

But I didn't harass him, did I? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (3)_files/rolleyes.gif)

And also Death not only posted before me, but he also was quite a bit more explicit than I. Yet, ef, as soon as I commented, you accused *me* (or at least Imban did in the next post). Why?

[ Sunday, September 28, 2003 06:45: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #53
In Japan's culture, work is so important that some jobless commit suicide. Culture is what you die for, at least most of the time.

What is JF trying to do ? Getting LoE banned, TLoE banned or both ? At least LoE's sig is slightly better than TLoE's.

[ Sunday, September 28, 2003 06:02: Message edited by: So Incredibly Sad ]

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #54
You must also mention that they have a term for those who die from over work as well. I suppose in such a case it is good to be the middle man.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #55
As much as I hate siding with ef, I'd like to poke my head in here and tell Elfy McSpamface to lay off Johnnyfeds. He doesn't deserve that kind of crap.

He's also been here a lot longer than you or FB, so quit the "lol let's make fun of the stoopid newbie" routine.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #56
Lt. Sullust - I think it's called 'karoshi'. At least if you believe Scott Adams. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (3)_files/wink.gif)

Who is 'Elfy McSpamface'? Me? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (3)_files/confused.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #57
Wait I'm still here. I thought I would be banned by now. Why am I not banned. This is pointless I should be banned. If I was a admin I would bann myself.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #58
What is this, self-loathing or an utter disgust at these boards? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (3)_files/confused.gif) (this is not intended as derogatory in any way. Just to avoid getting flamed again - ::glares at the Ready Men:: )

[ Sunday, September 28, 2003 07:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
---
---
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #59
The meaning of culture... Hmm.

(I wonder, why do I even try to answer this big a question? Because I'm bored, probably...)

There is the larger culture and there are subcultures. You can have religion and other values but "culture" means sharing certain values with a certain group (that you belong to).At least that's one definition.

Sociologists (for one thing) have studied culture a lot and argued about where to draw the lines between one culture and another.

Can it explain the war in Iraq? I don't know. You can't get outside your own culture and that's an important thing - I too am affected by the western culture though there are differences between Finnish and American culture.

As for the Iraqi culture.... I don't know about that either because I don't know a thing (outside what's been told by the western side of the war mass media) about Iraqi culture. On the other hand, the war didn't depend at all on what Iraqis did.

But I really think that the media has at least some effect on decision-makers. And I think that the media affects public opinion a LOT.

IMO, learning the language is the best way to make sense of another culture (and now I'm talking about different nations' cultures). If you meet a foreigner who speaks your language, it's probably her/his secondary language and he/she probably can't express himself as well as in his/her own language or even understand you completely and perfectly. And language is at least part of a culture, always.

In fact I've taken Arabic courses for that reason... Not that I learned a lot. At least I know that "Taliban" means simply "students".

Hmm. This looks like a very long post that says almost nothing. Grrh.

-Milu-

[ Sunday, September 28, 2003 14:10: Message edited by: Milu ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #60
LoE, I did not intend to personally offend you in any way. It just seems that you are a bit young to have the strong opinions that you do (even though we cannot tell how old you actually are). Why don't you just respond to the topics/posts how you see fit, perhaps with better spelling, and more forethought and consideration for others, instead of seeking to get banned.

culture: Mullah means leader, as in leader of prayer. ayatola (sp) means will of god. James clavell writes excellent novels that include a lot of culture.

I think america's problem with culture is that there is no good definition of self/not self. other places can tell you definitely what is/isn't of that culture, but in america it is pretty much choose what you want, culture of 1. but i guess that is a culture of itself.

(this kind of question lends itself to rambling)

)this post brought to you by keifer culture.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #61
At least part of the problem in defining "American culture" may be that US' cultural influence abroad is vast compared to other cultures' influence in the US. In order to get a picture of the culture you must look at it from the outside and there are few places (visible from the USA, that is) that are complete outsiders to "American" or "western" culture.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #62
learning the jargon of a particular occupation is almost as good as learning the trade.

)this post brought to you by the great satan, america.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #63
There is diffrent cultures. There is Newyork like cultore, Wall Street, Stock Exchanges, Buying stocks, selling stocks. Then there is Rulal cultore, farms, villas,grapes, pigs ect. So you have the urban cultore vs rulal cultore. Then there is suburban cultore which has blended in with urban cultore over the years.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #64
WHY?

Pages