Culture

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Culture
Warrior
Member # 3252
Profile #25
As to what culture actually is, though....

Ask a thousand men, and you will receive a thousand answers.

There are as many opinions as there are people to voice them

It's the sum of all existential input.

It's a lot of fun to be profound, but it never seems to solve anything.

Meme-rifiic!

--------------------
Learn About The Man Behind the Messiah.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #26
Culture is the thing that the Americans think they have copyright on. (Sorry all Americans, couldn´t resist it.)
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #27
Culture is a thing often best avoided. Especially the popular American kind.

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #28
Yes, I was going to say that culture is something tweedy English colonels think Americans haven't got, the better to disguise their own boorishness.

US popular culture is particularly tasteless / exuberantly naive though - I've seen the opening ceremony of the US Olympics, with its banks of grand pianos and the guy bouncing around with the jet pack, actually being shown as a case study in cultural studies lectures.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #29
I can't say for other Americans, but I certainly don't have any culture. Good Lord, if I ever saw any I think I would have to run over it with my 5 ton SUV and shoot it to death with my belt-feed riot shotgun. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (2)_files/tongue.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (2)_files/tongue.gif)

Why was there a monkey in the library? (sound of breating down neck and arms abruptly ripped off)

edit: abrubtly

[ Wednesday, September 10, 2003 12:45: Message edited by: Od, Lawd of the Unverse ]

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #30
Cultore is the traditions and belifs a certain group share.

--------------------
"I am young, I am twenty years old:yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow." All QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #31
LOL. That was intentional, right?
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #32
So Lawd of the Universe is saying that cultore is being afraid to walk down the street because you will get shot. For alot of people shootings, drivebys, Homeinvasions, and rapes are apart of there cultore. For other people literture, plays, and classical music are apart of there cultore. Anyway Lawd of the Universe if I was you I would look up your family tree. I would love to look up my family tree.

--------------------
"I am young, I am twenty years old:yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow." All QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #33
my family tree blushes when I look up its skirt.
IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (2)_files/tongue.gif)
no that is not exactly what I was saying.
I was responding to the previous statements about american's lack of culture.

--------------------

That's treason.
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #34
What are you talking about The U.S is extremly diverse. The U.S is like a giant tossed salad, we have Anglo Saxon Protestant, Italian Catholic, Irish Catholic, Irish Scotch,German Catholic. And now a heavy influx of Latin Americans, Asians, Arabs, and Eastern Europeons.In certain parts of the U.S Spainish-Portuguesse is spoken more commonly than English. Plus we have a strong African American Influence. And a strong Jewish influence. For instance we inherited English Literture from the English, Family theme parks from the Italians, Irish pubs from the Irish, Chinesse Food from the Chinesse. Cosher foods from the Jews, Jazz, R&B, the Blues and RockinRoll from the African Americans. Latin music and Latin foods such as Purtoricon, Mexican and Cuban food from the Latin Americans. Arabian Backeries and Arabian-Indian Foods from the Arabs. Chinesse potery from the Chinesse again,and Brockworse from the Germans. There is so many languages, and religions in the U.S. We have various religions such as Christianity, Islam, Judism, Buddism, and Hinduism practices in the U.S. Come to the U.S and you will see Catholic Churches, Jewish synagogs, Muslium Mosqs, and Hindu-Buddist temples. I know Canada is a bunch of cultores mixed together but the U.S is very similar to Canada. The reason I am saying all of this is because some people on these boards think that the U.S is a Angloized nation and converts immigrants to Angloism. But where not, every ecnic that has passed through the U.S has contributed something to our growing cultore. However because of Intolerence and seregation things like drugs, sexism, and racism has become major factores of our cultore. But do not say the U.S has no cultore, the U.S has a very strong cultore for your information.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3479
Profile #35
This may be somewhat off topic, but I'm guessing Lord of Evil isn't a "native" English speaker (for lack of a better term).

--------------------
-"Well, double dumbass on you!"
-William Shatner, Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #36
English is, as far as I know, JF's first language.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #37
LOL - that was intentional, right? This is not a double post.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
Um. That kind of spelling in your first language is downright scary. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (2)_files/eek.gif)

I don't think it's intentional actually. Okay, so maybe I fell for a joke now, but it certainly doesn't look like one.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #39
English is my first language. Actually I only speak English and no other language. Well actually I am taking Spainish and I can speak a little of Spainsh, mostly Good Mourning. But I know so little that it's insignificant. But I hear people in the U.S speak Spainish more than English . When I was in Florida in 96 Spainish was spoken more commonly than English. Actually if you get so far South in Florida the traffic signes are in Spainish. So I would not say English is the official language of the U.S anymore. Just like The U.S is no longer a official Christian Society. I can prove that because Manhatten has a very High Jewish population I believe, and parts of Boston has a very high Jewish population. And there is a rising Muslium population in the U.S as well, as a matter of fact I believe after there was muslium Americans burning American flags. And before the 9/11 attack The FBI wanted to Investigate a supposidly Alueda connected Buisness man but they didn't because The head of that assaighment who was muslium said, "Musliums do not investigate other Musliums".

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #40
There are some areas where Spanish dominates, but far more people speak English than Spanish in the entire United States. Similarly, just because there are a few heavily Jewish areas does not mean that Jews are in any way a huge population in America.

There are quite a few Muslims in America, and there are undoubtedly Muslim flagburners. I also know Jewish, Christian, and atheist flagburners. I don't know that many patriots, but I'm sure Muslims are as likely to support the US as anyone else.

—Alorael, who finds the story of the refused investigation of Al-Qaeda links dubious. If the leaders of the investigation refused, he would have been forced to step down and probably investigated himself.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #41
I hate you Aloral. All you librals are the same, The U.S isn't cultural, the Americans are stupid. I don't mean this to all of the librals but most librals. You people think all White Americans are KKK. That the U.S is a extreamly racist nation. We do have our racist problems but there not as bad as you think. I mean you people protest the War on the streets and all you acomplish is delaying traffic. And there are so many protestors that get bustard for smoking weed on the Protests. And when you do get bustard it's allways the same reason why, "Dude it's a protest, it's okay". Well it's not okay, it's never okay. A great number of the protestors could care less about Iraq, it's just a excuse for them to smoke pot and have unsafe sex. I mean alot of protestors do care don't get me wrong, but lets face it protests are drug havens. I wish a great number of you librals would stop smoking the stuff and come back to reality, don't get me wrong there are alot of sober librals. Alot of librals to know what they are talking about. Those are the librals like JFK and Clinton those librals I respect. But as for Librals like Mike Dukarcus and the druggies who go to the annual freedom marches and smoke weed, those librals have no clue what's going on. All I have to say to those librals are, "Get of the pot and coke and come back top reality. All you people are doing is buying coke and making Drug Lord Pablo Escobar the next generation very rich".

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #42
Let me be the first to congratulate JF on this extremely unbiased, logical and insightful post.
Keep up the good work, JF.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #43
Let me be the first one to ask HIM to lay off the weed. I'd be very angry if I was at a protest and there was another protester smoking weed - they'd be casting the entire protest in an ill light.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #44
Yes, RentPerson, I would have to agree with you.
*chokes to death noisily on his own laughter*

But, no: Lord of Evil: lay off the stupid for a while, huh?

Houston (tx) has sections of town where life is in spanish, ie business, work, family, signs, tv, streets... Other places have places like that, too. chinese people live in two small towns near here. (they all work at the chinese restaurants, though) but I wouldn't say that the US is cultured by any means. Culture is usually associated with things that represent society, such as art. the us is just so diverse and new, really that there isn't much in this regard.

1)This post brought to you by spiderweb software. Leaders is quality learning software since the beggining of time.

^my new pre-sig. an ad.

--------------------

That's treason.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #45
JF, as you may have noticed, is wholly impervious to irony. Sort of interesting to hear how much he respects Clinton though. I must treat my interns likewise.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #46
X:we should start calling him lord of MisSpell. maybe he'll notice.

and in america that is the ONLY socially acceptable way of dealing with interns. At least that is what my office manager told me. (NOT)

)this post brought to you by positrons. (bang)

--------------------

That's treason.
Warrior
Member # 3404
Profile Homepage #47
Well I am now going to deliberitly get myself banned.
**** you Spidweb.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #48
There is a game called culture.

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #49
I'd comment on LoE being the new FB, but I don't want to insult Zephyr with the comparison; even in his worst days he wasn't as bad... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (2)_files/tongue.gif) And, LoE, 4*-words don't work here. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Culture (2)_files/tongue.gif) But I must congratulate you on managing to spell it sufficiently well for the curseword filter to recognize it.

[ Sunday, September 28, 2003 05:27: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.

Pages