Intelligence

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Intelligence
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #25
This poll would have been much better without the actual poll, instead working on replies. This would force people to "confess" that they think they are more intelligent than the average Joe. This might give more accurate results.

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #26
I confess. I'm smarter than everybody. I have an IQ of forty billion. I got my first doctorate thirty-five seconds after I came out of the womb. I have a head the size of a globe. I haven't had an actual conversation in fifteen years because I can divine what they want to say before they say it, anticipate their responses, and thus save myself the trouble of actually talking to them. The FBI once captured me and tried to force me to work in their Brain Mines, but I escaped by making a small thermonuclear explosive out of a paperclip, my shoelace, and 15.67% of a postage stamp.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Chibidemon Wolf:

This poll would have been much better without the actual poll, instead working on replies. This would force people to "confess" that they think they are more intelligent than the average Joe. This might give more accurate results.
But I don't know anyone called Joe, so I have no idea whether I am more intelligent than him.

Okay, shoot me now. I deserve it.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #28
PFFT! Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit! At least that is what my teachers used to tell me.

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #29
It's also the highest form of humour, so your teachers are wrong.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #30
It's always a mistake to believe anything that a teacher tells you. Especially if it's something not directly related to what they teach.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #31
quote:

How would people be forced to confess?

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #32
But it's the lowest form of humor.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #33
If people wanted to give an answer, they would have to say how intelligent they thought they were, rather than just ticking a box. The point is that it might curb the imaginations of some people whose self-images vary from the truth (hey, everyone's does, I suppose.)

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #34
I'm not half as smart as I look. And given how I look, that's an achievement.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #35
You Foals! I yam the smarterestest won hear!
I yam the smarterestest person in the Galaxie. (ford galaxie 500). I yam the moist inelligable guy I no.

I would think that everyone here would be pretty smart. like, for sure.

I actually do think that I am the smartest person I know, but that is basically because I don't know anyone smarter (youse guise knot inclusive)

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
40/50 said above average.
7 said average.
3 people thought they were idiots.

Discuss.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
For those not intelligent enough (haha, I kill me), here are the percentages... IMAGE(Intelligence (2)_files/tongue.gif)

80% Smarter than average
14% Average
6% Idiots

See? I told you more than 75%$ here take themselves to be geniuses (sp?). I just wonder who the three honest idiots are...

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #38
It also depends on what you take as your population. Do you take the US? The entire world? All brain sugeons? Or just the population of the board members?

If you take the entire world or even the entire US population, these could be about right. If we take just this board, then the stats are wrong.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
It also depends on which "average" you take, and what you expect to be the shape of the distribution of intelligence.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #40
It also depends on what age group you're talking about. I'm 17 and I'm quite a bit smarter than any of my classmates, I always rank in the 99th percentile on standardized tests, but someone who's gone to college and lived on their own for a while is probably considerably smarter than me in a lot of things. So, am I considered above average intelligence?

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #41
All I know is I am smarter than thou.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #42
Actually, those numbers only represent the members who voted. If you will check, you will see there are way more than 50 people that come to these boards. It would make sense that those who view themselves as above-average would be more likely to vote then those who think they're dumb, so the poll actually doesn't tell us much.

Or I suppose you could say that 80% of those who vote on polls feel they are above-average.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 78% 33% 44% 22%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Aarrow Swift:

I'm 17 and I'm quite a bit smarter than any of my classmates, [because?] I always rank in the 99th percentile on standardized tests...
The above comment disturbs me.
Good marks do not the intelligent person make. (I really think there should be a 'smug' graemlin).

When in high school, I had hangups about marks. I thought I was a genius because of my straight nineties. Then I went to university and discovered that I knew practically nothing that was actually worth knowing and that my general knowledge and vocabulary were about nil.To get good marks all you really need to have is a good memory, which, IMO, certainly does not indicate ntelligence.

Compared to the frequent posters on these boards, I rated myself below average.

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #44
True, those tests are more often than not loads of bovine fecal matter, and usually don't measure things that are useful in the real world. I didn't include the "because", but based on the standards our school system sets, I am considered more intelligent than my peers. I did not mean to seem smug. I wish people would stop taking my posts out of context. I later said that college and real-world experience is much more valuable than tests in school.

There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. For my age group, I have a large amount of knowledge. I do not claim to be wise, nor even knowledgable when compared to people with more life experience than I. I am, however, more knowledgable than 99% of my age group. (according to the worthless government intelligence tests)

btw, my signature is supposed to be taken as irony. It is a generalization. The generalization it makes is that generalizations are false. Thus, if it is true, it is false.

[ Friday, August 15, 2003 16:30: Message edited by: Aarrow Swift ]

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #45
*sigh* If the statement "All generalizations are false." is false, it does not immediately become "All generalizations are true."
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #46
Fine, get me on a technicality. IMAGE(Intelligence (2)_files/rolleyes.gif) Is it better now?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #47
Expanding on my comments from a week ago -

Intelligence quotient (IQ) doesn't really mean anything. I don't do too badly on IQ tests (by that I mean I score somewhere above the 125 mentioned in the stupidity topic, but below MENSA level).

Put me in a social setting and I can easily look like a total idiot - as I have demonstrated several times here in the past 6 months.

Numerically I'm above average (yep I'm one of the 80% who chose that option). But I'm not a genius, nor do I consider myself 'smart'. If there was a test for 'common sense' I'd probably score below average. Common sense has more relevance to everyday life than IQ.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #48
First, I get your signature. My own is intended to be te same sort of warped irony. It is NOT a generalization. Second, I meant the smug graemlin for my own remark.
I have found, in my posting, more and more occasion to insert one. Does this tell you something about me?

And you did not say that college and real-world experience were more valuable than tests in school, AS. You said that people who had gone through college and had more real-world experience would probably be considered smarter than yourself in many areas. I did not realize that you concurred with that belief. Apologies.

[ Saturday, August 16, 2003 10:18: Message edited by: Nye ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #49
I apologize, too. I was a little mad about something else at the time, and jumped on you out of frustration.

--------------------

Pages