Happy Fourth of July!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Happy Fourth of July!
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Sir Motrax of Exile:

"Wise" Man, why did you go ballistic against Mister David when in the other topic your whole post was this:

"i ain't celebrating an american holiday, i'm Canadian."

Take your foolish grudges elsewhere please. If you hate Sir David so much, then leave Spiderweb instead of making it worse.

You think I'm grinning with joy when people wish me a merry Christmas? I don't believe for an instant that Jesus was the son of god, but instead of getting offended that people aren't considering my beliefs, I'm just as happy that they consider me at all.

David is merely trying to lighten the mood on an occasion that is happy for him.

Wisen up, or take your wisdom elsewhere.

EDIT: Since it is a happytopic, the fireworks were pretty good, although I'm not sure if they were worth watching between terrible traffic, oppressive humidity, and ravenous bugs. I'm afraid that I'll wake up tomorrow morning with swollen feet. Oh well! IMAGE(Happy Fourth of July! (2)_files/wink.gif)

Exacally.. I duno why you would go off on my topic either... It's just as impotant... ANYWAY..happy whatever you want to celebrate IMAGE(Happy Fourth of July! (2)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Join it and get me some cash, and have fun!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #26
I celebrated the fireworks after the baseball game.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

Apology accepted. As for the morning... well, I admit that 9:01 PM Spiderweb time, meaning 12:01 here, is a strange time to wish people Happy 4th of July, since technically it was the 5th, but hey =] I had just got back from watching fireworks and walking around. Varelse, please, don't turn this into another argument... I disagree with your view of liberty, of course, but let's leave that for another topic.
I agree... Witgh this and all other views mentioned here... (i have to admit I posted mine at around the same time, maybe a few hours earlier, so I'm a bad man too...) I don't want to post too many posts of Spidweb will get PO'ed so this is the last... Just don't go ballistic on us for celebrateing Freedom,Liberty, and FruitJuice for all (ahem,excuse me, I've just been informed it's JUSTICE for all,not Fruit Juice...

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Join it and get me some cash, and have fun!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #28
Every country has to have at least one day celibrating it's beginning.
New Zealand has Waitangi, Mexico Cinco de Mayo.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #29
Britain doesn't, though there are national (saints) days for the four component nations. England's is St. George's Day where traditionally lots of lager-fuelled footie fans gather in large groups to wear Union Jacks as skirts and then sing delightful patriotic airs to other Britons fresh from the Indian subcontinent on their way back from the pub. BTW, if he existed at all, St. George was a Turk and so Moslem, but for some reason the lager lads don't want to know that....

We used to have an Empire Day too, but a lot of people worldwide tired of it (the Empire, that is) after World War 2 and those that thought most of it also thought a replacement Commonwealth Day was a bit of a slap in the face.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #30
Given that St. George more likely dates to Diocletian's persecution or an earlier one due to his being a Christian soldier, he couldn't really have been a Muslim. That's always assuming there's a grain of truth in the story, which is doubtful.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #31
RoR, please die. kthxbye

(see the second paragraph of my Avatars topic post for details on why that's all I'm saying) (especially the first sentence, which expresses the general idea that I'm sick of you all)

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #32
I love that kind of attitude, Sir David. If the facts don't support your political viewpoint, they must not be facts; they must be propaganda.
Remind you of anyone? Anyone with big ambitions, big plans, and a little moustache?

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #33
You need an attitude change, you cynical bastard.
You're not exactly a role model yuo slef.

[ Sunday, July 06, 2003 16:59: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #34
All SirDavid said was Happy 4'th of July. You people turned it into a flame war with all you're Black Power propaganda.You're all a bunch of sick bastards, with the exception of Motrax. I can't say anymore or I'll get banned.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #35
JF, you're Jesus Christ the Savior. "Black Power propaganda." Dear Lord. I'm literally rolling on the floor dying of laughter.

I also invoke Godwin's at Custer.

I'd also ask Sir David that if he has nothing other to post than "I don't want to post anything because I'm sick of you," he should post nothing at all.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #36
I only want to be with JF. He is the love I've been waiting for. <3

Custer, I believe that overtly calling someone Adolf Hitler is just a teensy bit inappropriate.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #37
I think we need a judge to see if the invocation of Godwin's was intentional or inevitable.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #38
Look,What is wrong with saying Happy 4'th of July. I'll say it right now, HAPPY 4'th OF JULY. There is nothing wrong with celebrating a National Holiday. The Britts celebrate Saints Day, The Mexicans Celebrate The 6'th of May, The French Celebrate there own 4'th of July, and The Greeks Celebrate when they won there Independence frome the Ottoman Empire. So there is nothing wrong with saying Happy 4'th of July, It's like saying good mourning. What is wrong with saying Good Mourning, nothing at all. And where I grew up when people said Happy 4'th of July I never heard someone stand on the soap box and say things like, "African Americans, Hispanics, and Woman make less money than WASP Men.".

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
The Fourth of July can and should be used to celebrate the good in our country. And yes, there is good, even when we point out everything wrong with it. However, it's our patriotic duty to fix those wrongs, and that should be part of the Fourth too.

—Alorael, who has only two things to add. First, Cinco de Mayo means the 5th of May. Second, while mispellings are inevitable, Good Mourning is a rather humorous oxymoron.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #40
You people would love T3, Rise of the Machines. Mainly because it ends whit the Machines blowing up the U.S.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #41
Thanks for the support, JF, though the black power thing was a bit extreme... and thanks, also, people, for rebuking Custer. Not that this is the first time someone here has compared me to Hitler, of course. And it kind of totally screwed up what TM says about no one ever calling me a Jew-hater, hard right, die hard, fundie, etc. Ah well. I try.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #42
I'm sorry, Sir David. I'll admit that particular comparison was a bit over the top.
Lord of Evil, would you stop being so black-and-white about things? People can believe that the US has its flaws without hating it.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #43
As we should all love each other (see shamefaced topis elsewhere), I will not respond to JF's post by quoting real Black Power propaganda. Elijah Mohammed, anyone?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #44
RoR, cool it. This is not the first time you've lashed out and flamed Sir David. These things have repurcussions.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #45
I love my country, but fear my gov't.

I agree with Alorael in that the Fourth is a time to celebrate the good things about America, but it also reminds us that there are many things that could be made a lot better.

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #46
I personally do not believe that The US is too big and powerfull or the Federal Gove is too big and powerfull. I believe big Companies like Microsoft have become too big and powerfull. I predict that Microsoft will one day take over the world econemy wise.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Infiltrator
Member # 463
Profile #47
I don't worry about a big gov't, I worry about our big military. To protect your citizens is one thing, to enforce your will on another people, another culture, is quite another.

It's not Microsoft which owns the gov't, it's the oil industry.

--------------------
Let the soul trading begin.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #48
Funny how people never put together the fact that we have the largest military budget per capita this side of Israel and that we have one of the least effective education systems in the free world...

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #49
How could we; I can barely spell my name.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00

Pages