Blades of Exile Source Code Released

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Blades of Exile Source Code Released
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
The source code is now available here.

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/blades/opensource.html

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
Awesome! Thanks Jeff!

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #2
If only I knew C++...
I understood the Global.cpp file, that's about it.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
Yay!

The resource files don't work for me, though - either both the decompression programs I have lose them, or the compression program lost them.

Edit: Whee, down to 131 compiler errors!

[ Friday, May 11, 2007 13:16: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #4
Try redownloading the source from a different site and see if the resource files work.

What program are you trying to use to open them?

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #5
Downloading from a different site didn't help. I'm decompressing them on an Intel Mac with Stuffit Expander 11 and with the Finder's built-in thing. I'm using ResKnife to look at them, but what tipped me off is that they take up no disk space.

Edit: Downloading the BoE demo does give me something with the resources in.

[ Saturday, May 12, 2007 01:46: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Apprentice
Member # 8704
Profile #6
I'm also seeing zero-sized resource files. It looks like the compression was done using a program that doesn't know about resource forks. Possibly the best fix would be to convert them to data-fork-based resource files before compressing, since that is the preferred way to package resources in Mach-O apps anyway.

On another topic, has anyone set up a SourceForge project or similar to coordinate development of a "baseline" modernised version of BoE? Having a version control repository will make life much easier if there's more than one person that wants to work on it.

I have some ideas for future development directions, but they can wait until after the code actually builds. :)

Finally, allow me to join in saying a big "Thank you!" to Jeff and co. for releasing this.
Apprentice
Member # 8615
Profile #7
Thank you very much, Jeff!

--------------------
~ Eschar Blacke
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #8
OK, I messed up with compressing the files. I forgot what .zip format does to resource forks.

If you go to the source code page now there is a Macintosh download in StuffIt format. If you download that you can find the proper resource files.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
Out of curiousity, which version of C++ did you use to compile the code and did you use any special features that aren't standard ASCII? This can sometimes cause compilation errors.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #10
I'm version controlling my own work on it using darcs, but I haven't made anything public yet. Does anyone know of a version control system that can handle resource forks?

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Apprentice
Member # 8704
Profile #11
Khoth, I haven't encountered a VCS that will handle resource forks out of the box. You could probably do some AppleDouble magic using commit hooks, but that's a pain. The first thing I did with the source was to move all the resources to the data fork by running "DeRez foo.rsrc > foo.rez && Rez foo.rez -o foo.rsrc -useDF" for each resource file. As I mentioned above, this is the Apple-recommended way to store them these days, since it helps apps to not get destroyed by zip.

I've made an XCode project that will build all three BoE apps (once carbonisation is complete). I've been doing some carbonising, starting with the character editor because it looks the easiest. I wouldn't want us to be duplicating effort, so maybe we should try to coordinate, and share a source repository?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #12
I've been doing the main program, and ignoring the editors.

I've put up what I have at http://khoth.ath.cx/~khoth/

If it doesn't build, or you hate darcs, or you don't care, let me know.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #13
One note about using XCode. The way I use resource files in XCode is to not include them in the project but to open them with HOpenResFile as soon as the program launches.

It's not optimal and I'll have to change someday, but it'll work for now.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Tesseract:

Khoth, I haven't encountered a VCS that will handle resource forks out of the box. You could probably do some AppleDouble magic using commit hooks, but that's a pain. The first thing I did with the source was to move all the resources to the data fork by running "DeRez foo.rsrc > foo.rez && Rez foo.rez -o foo.rsrc -useDF" for each resource file.
Easier solution:
dd if=foo.rsrc/rsrc foo.rsrcNo need to roundtrip through Rez format.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
I'm a little confused about this, actually. Is the source code of the editor released, or of the whole game?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
It's the whole big, fat, honkin' thing.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
Wow. Thanks jeff! Though even if it won't have been the whole game, still, it is great.

Seems I might finally be able to play BoE scenarios.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 8615
Profile #18
Could someone help me a little? I have no knowledge of how to compile something like this (running Mac OS X Tiger), so I would appreciate it greatly if someone would find the time to either give me a link to a page containing instructions, or write something simple out himself. Or something. Anything is excellent.

--------------------
~ Eschar Blacke
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #19
It's not currently in a state where it can be compiled easily for OS X. OS 9 was rather different, and a lot of things need fixing before it'll work.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Apprentice
Member # 8615
Profile #20
Is there no way to compile it and then run it in Classic mode? I do know that carbonizing is required before running it natively in OS X, but I'd think that there would be some way to compile it into a classic application.
However, I know virtually nothing about the process, so I might just be babbling meaninglessly. :P

--------------------
~ Eschar Blacke
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #21
It should compile/run in classic mode. While I'm not up on compiling applications like this, my abilities are far more in the scientific code which largely work independent of platform, you will need a C++ compiler for OS 9.

Just curious, is anyone actively going to work on carbonizing it?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #22
If you are going to use XCode (a very wise idea), you will probably want to shoot straight for a OS X Carbonized version. Apple has made it difficult to do anything else. Forget Classic.

Once that is done, Universal is the natural next step. Once someone has a Carbonized version up and running, were that peson to ask me for Universalizing tips, I woud be happy to give them.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Apprentice
Member # 8704
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by *i:

It should compile/run in classic mode.
Yep, building it for OS 9 should be relatively simple if you have a copy of CodeWarrior.
quote:
Just curious, is anyone actively going to work on carbonizing it?
Yes, Khoth and I are working on it. So far I have the character editor compiling with no warnings, now I have to get it to find the resources in the graphics and sound files.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #24
Strange thing. There are files called LARGE.h MEDIUM.h and SMALL.h which are basically lists of towns from Exile 3. Are these files really necessary to compile BoE? I'm on Windows, BTW.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------

Pages