Item Collection Scenario

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Item Collection Scenario
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #0
Is there any BoE scenario which collects the various types of items from other scenarios? Something like the Artifact Hall for BoA.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #1
This reminds me...one time I started working on a utility scenario that would distribute items specifically made for beating specific scenarios. I abandoned work on that, it wasn't a very good utility.

As for your question: no, not that I'm aware of. Sorry.

[ Thursday, January 11, 2007 15:21: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #2
I've never come across an item-collecting scenario for BoE. I seriously doubt one exists.

BainIhrno - Having made my own personal HLPM, I know how frustrating such things can be. Do you still have that utility scenario?

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #3
I still have it, but it's nowhere near complete.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #4
It is easy to have Artifacts Hall for BoA, there aren't that may scenarios. Exile scenarios that have custom items could be very numerous, after all there are around 300 BoE scenarios.

Obviously you will have to limit the number of scenarios covered by any one version of BoE Artifacts Hall. Hence you must have a selection criteria.

Then you will have to check for customized items in each scenario, compare names listed in the scendata.txt for each scenario with item names from the default list?

( Alternately, here is where hex - editing really comes into its own, you can use it to draw up tables listing all properties of an item. )

[ Friday, January 12, 2007 14:25: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
Ishad Nha, please, please, please stop referring to hex-editing. The board CoC says it's naughty:

quote:
What constitutes a major transgression for a member:

+ Any discussion of hex-editing or requests for "cracks", pirated software, ways to pirate software, etc.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #6
I just actually read rather than glanced over the Code of Conduct. As I understand it, the whole Blades of Exile game is about to become open source. Now the Code applies to all Spiderweb games, which are usually never open source. Should the code be amended to cover an open source BoE editor?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
No. It would still cover it because it's talking about it as a whole, not just as it relates to Spiderweb.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #8
I am informed that the basic meaning of the Code of Conduct is to avoid the use of hex – editing as a means of bypassing shareware barriers. So uses of hex – editing for customizing BoE terrain should be acceptable. Ditto uses here.

That of course still leaves the massive number of items to be sorted through and prioritized...
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
Ishad Nha, here's a word of advice about hex-editing: Don't.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Ishad Nha knows enough about hex-editing and the Code of Conduct to get away with it. You're complaining about a dead horse.

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #11
Jeff's around, everybody act casual. (*Whistles nonchalantly*)

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
You know that almost never works, right?

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
I'm not nonchalant! I'm very chalant! I'm very chalant indeed!

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #14
What?! Did you just say BoE is about to become open-source?! Are you serious? (And how long have I been gone?!)

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #15
Yes, though you missed the announcement because it was in another forum, not because you have been away from this board for a while.

In the Blades of Avernum Editor forum there was a topic: The Future of Blades of Avernum (Page 1)

(I have copied and pasted the relevant text below).

Board Administrator
Member # 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some quick notes before I go out the door.

I have plans to release the code of Blades of Exile before too long. First, though, I have to find it. The Windows code is trapped on an old machine, and I need to figure out how to get it out.

The Blades of Avernum code won't be made public for quite a while, though. It does still sell, slowly, and I want to try to recoup a bit more before I give it away. Reducing its price to $15 has helped sales, and I am still generating new people to play your scenarios.

About the Unhandled Exceptions. I would bet money the situation here is caused by using calls to affect characters/items/whatever that are out of range. (Like setting the level of character -3, or character 220.) Whenever I looked at a scenario with this sort of crash, the problem was accessing something out of range.

Pre-Intel Macintoshes handle looking out of bounds of an array fairly well. Windows (and Intel Macs) frequently crash under the same circumstances. That's why you're getting the crashes when you move the thing from Mac to Windows.

A lot of this is my fault for not putting good enough error checking in. I skimped on this because I was freaking out over how long it was taking to make the scripting engine, and it was a real mistake. If I have to patch Blades of Avernum to make it work on Vista, I'll also try to tighten the script error checking up a bit.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 668 | From Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged

Though if the official BoA Editor was anything to go by, very few compilers will be able to handle the BoE source code.

[ Tuesday, January 16, 2007 18:38: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]