Roofs?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Roofs?
Apprentice
Member # 7823
Profile #0
Do most buildings in Exile have roofs? Obviously some have multiple stories, and so they must, and others need to be secure(treasuries), but for the most part they seem unnecesary, given that the point of a roof is to keep the weather out, and underground you are never going to have weather. Why spend the extra effort and materials to build a roof when you don't need it?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
It makes it harder for the vermin (rats, goblins, adventurers, etc.) to get into the structure.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
Security, most likley. I imagine most, if not all buildings in Avernum have roofs. Rats, chitrach, slimes, all these things are probably capable of crawling over a house wall, and having a roof would help you keep them out. Also, I'm no architect, but I think having a roof simply makes your house more stable.

--------------------
You lose.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
Caves drip - you can even hear the sound in-game.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
You also could heat your rooms to make them warmer than (relatively cold) cave temperature.

Another reason could be simple force of habit. People are used to living in houses with roofs, so they build them the same way underground. For example, in many cases it would be easier to simply build a wall in front of a section of a cave, but people still build all four walls in those areas.

PS Talking about cave temperature, what is the temperature of Exile's caves?

[ Saturday, January 06, 2007 17:01: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #5
Cold enough to turn you pale. :P

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Avernum is never really described, temperature wise, but I'd imagine it's on the cold side of bearable and slightly damp. Climate varies enough that the sliths are fine in some caves and miserable in others.

So, at what distance from lava fields are property values highest?

—Alorael, who thinks everyone needs a roof to keep the cave bats out. It's funny that Avernum has walled towns instead of basically single, huge, fortified buildings. That would be less homy but probably easier to set up.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
It's probably due to the types of people that get sent down to Avernum. They don't play well with others and the violent ones get sent into Exile into the Abyss. Think of all the shifty thief types that you meet in your adventures and then you understand why if it hadn't been for the demons, sliths, and nephils there wouldn't be that close an association.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #8
I've always taken for granted that all buildings (except some that are, for example, in a state of disrepair) had roofs. The word "building" almost implies the word "roof."

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
I always thought Avernum was generally warm. There are several comments such as this one from the entrance of the Verdant Valley in A2:

quote:
You enter a wide passage through this enormous stone mound. The corridor is very drafty. Though most of Avernum is warm, the breeze is very cold. This area is out of the ordinary.
Dikiyoba admits that there are probably several comments that say Avernum is cold as well.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I always thought Avernum was generally warm.
You said "I"! :P

quote:
Dikiyoba admits that there are probably several comments that say Avernum is cold as well.
Yeah, I think that most of the glove and cloak descriptions describe Avernum as being cold. I always thought of it as warm and humid.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Diki is only obligated to make the last paragraph third person. The rest can be first person.

—Alorael, whose gimmick is quite similar. The critical difference is his obligation to start with 11 characters with no variation.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Buffalo xn:

—Alorael, whose gimmick is quite similar. The critical difference is his obligation to start with 11 characters with no variation.
I count 13.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

quote:

I count 13.

15 with punctuation.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

quote:

I count 13.

15 with punctuation.

16. Don't forget that space!

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Nothing after "–Alorael, who" (13 characters) is invariant. The space after "who" is clearly not invariant, as evidenced by the very sig you quoted.

I suppose it's 15 if you count the linebreaks before the last line.

[ Monday, January 08, 2007 19:05: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #16
(shakes his head in disgust at the recent nitpicking over Alorael's writing style) Could we get back on topic, please?

I think I know why the buildings in Exile/Avernum would need roofs; it's similar to why surface buildings have them. There are animals (birds on the surface, and bats in caves) which can fly, so you'd need a roof over your head, simply because when they fly over your house, they don't leave evidence of it on your carpet.

Disgusting, I know, but it's as good a reason as any to have a roof.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Apprentice
Member # 7823
Profile #17
Hadn't thought of bats. Cave drips happen in the same spot all the time, so you just don't build a house under one, but bats... theres the reason.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Thuryl is right. I didn't count the comma or the space.

—Alorael, who doubts Avernum's drips are widely spaced enough to allow entire buildings to be placed between them. And don't forget the chance of falling debris, especially in areas with quakes or sudden vahnatai invasions.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #19
Does the moss ever stop glowing? If it doesnt a roof would be usefull to keep the light out.

Also, i may be a lower class of person, but i might be tempted to throw stuff into your house if it didn't have a roof, just for laughs.

Its hooligans like me that keep the Avernum roofing industry in buisness.

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #20
In Exile II/Avernum 2 you walk on the roof of the lower portion of Ornotha Ziggurat in order to escape...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Angry Ogre:

Its hooligans like me that keep the Avernum roofing industry in buisness.
Actually a very good point. I'm sure it's petty hooligans who got sent to Avernum in droves when the mayor wasn't banishing people for gloominess.

—Alorael, who wonders what the breakdown of Avernum's original exiles was in terms of political exiles, riffraff, absurdly charged hapless bystanders, and genuine minor criminals.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #22
It is pretty amazing that a colony of misfits could have banded together to make anything useful.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 7866
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

It is pretty amazing that a colony of misfits could have banded together to make anything useful.
Hey, it worked for Australia.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

In Exile II/Avernum 2 you walk on the roof of the lower portion of Ornotha Ziggurat in order to escape...
That means very little... the Ziggurat was rather unique. According to the text dumps, it was Empire-built, and since it was home to some of the most vital experiments for the Empire's war effort... it should have a roof.

Besides, rooftop fights are just awesome.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages