Would Exile make a SWEET movie?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Would Exile make a SWEET movie?
Apprentice
Member # 6194
Profile #0
i'm new to this forum, so i don't know if this has been suggested before. anyway, i think an exile movie would be pretty sweet.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=OcsUYHVKdeoR"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=OcsUYHVKdeoR"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Many, many times. I am of the opinion that it could make a decent action fantasy movie (kinda like LotR) if done well, but you'd have to take out most of the in-between towns wandering and a lot of the combat, too, focusing mostly on the interactions between people (meeting Erika, meeting Patrick, etc).

That said, it'll never happen.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #2
We've talked about this before, and to be made a movie, it would either have to be a normal-sized (1-2hr) movie that leaves out a lot of important things or a huge epic that takes three days to watch. That and someone would need to come up with a chunk of money for it. And Jeff would need to get a notion, which is a pretty insurmountable barrier right there.

But it could make a good movie.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #3
While it would be good, it would have to take a lot of stuff out, as Kel and ben said. Its too open ended, and so are most SW* games.

*SW means SpiderWeb.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
You'd have to take a lot out and put a lot in. Puzzles, exploration, loot gathering, and other staples of the RPG tradition make for bad movies. Random combat gets old quickly. The movie you would get out of them would have only a passing resemblance to the Exile games, although they could be set perfectly well in the Exile world.

—Alorael, who firmly believes that most good books require a lot of tweaking to become movies and most games require at least ten times that much tweaking to become movies. Whether they work as books varies from game to game.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
I'd say it'd be a pretty good movie. But who'd play who?

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #6
indeed it would make a good movie, but if we want that exile-avernum become a movie, then jeff would have to sell the rights to a movie company or to sell his company to microsoft or something like that.
maybe the best thing is the battle of erika against grah-hoth, and the first expedition, thralni and such
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #7
heh, annother apprentice, i though i was the only one :D
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #8
The movie would have to firmly stick to the storyline and main quest. Sidequests would make it take about, oh, a week or three to watch. A TV series would be OK, one of those where you have to watch every episode because there is a continuing plot. If it was a movie, there would have to be three movies, four if they think Avernum 4 should be added since they are the same plot. It might be "sweet" if they did a TON of editing.

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:19: Message edited by: Fire Shards ]

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #9
The design of all these Exile Stories is to be "open ended", or "serial" in nature, linking to each other.
To us, it sounds like a good idea, but I've no doubt that the Movie World is overloaded with suggestions and dying a slow death because of the Computer World.
Only occasionally does a "good" Movie come along, most are glorified TV shows.
All in all, (see above comments), it just ain't gonna happen.
me
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

heh, annother apprentice, i though i was the only one :D
The vast majority of member are in fact apprentices. You just don't see them very often, or else they wouldn't be, if you get my drift.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #11
If any movie was made like that, it would probably be about Avernum. That said, Exile IS more of a classic.

By the way, can you believe someone wants to make a "Halo" movie? I just HATE that game! And what would that movie even be about? No one except a few people who think drinking Mountain Dew makes them cool would even see it.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #12
Chief Spider - since Exile and Avernum are pretty well the same in terms of storyline/missions etc, any movie would also be exactly the same! Unless you were suggesting they used the game graphics to make the film.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #13
I think the name "Exile" works better, which is the only difference that could possibly translate to screen.

People are saying that the movie would be really long, but I disagree. You'd struggle to find stuff worth putting on screen, I think. I'd rewrite the story entirely, keeping only the setting.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
But Avernum is more classical, which makes it obviously better. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #15
I personally think games make ****e movies and vice versa, but that's just me.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
How could it possibly be bad with Calista Flockhart reprising her Rentar-Ihrno role?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #17
I don't think so. You'd have to take too much of the detail out. There really isn't much story in the Exile games, either, which is important for movies. It's mostly loads of fighting. Story is more important for movies than it is for games.

(I'm not trying to say that I don't like the Exile games, I'm just saying they won't make good movies.)

Some BoE scenarios might make good movies, though.

[ Wednesday, August 10, 2005 07:04: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
You can always make a cool logo graphic for Exile to put on your movie cover. Make the 'i' a sword or something, you know.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #19
I like the name "Exile" a lot better. It just sounds cooler. I can imagine bits of A1 in the movie though - the party comes out of the castle and head west. They rise over a hill (I know, no hills in that area... Call it poetic license.) and see Fort Remote. In ruins. All of those brave soldiers, some of them the party's good friends. They then swear an oath to hunt down the monster that committed this atrocity. Fade to black.

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Apprentice
Member # 6225
Profile Homepage #20
Sure! And I'd love to play as a Nephilim or a Slith. :D

~N-M

--------------------
Nephilim Masters Unite!
Warrior
Member # 577
Profile Homepage #21
It would, but even three hours wouldn't be enough. It would probably be better as an epic.

But the Exile series would definately make a good series of novels.

--------------------
Please visit my website: http://geocities.com/dchia1010

my forums: http://freechat.tk
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #22
I think that it would make a great movie. It has plot, fighting, and lots of stuff to use (or not use). If it were made into a movie, I'd love to play myself since I'd be perfect for the job. ;) :cool:

For those of you who don't know, I'm always Solberg when I'm on the forums. :rolleyes: :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Apprentice
Member # 6336
Profile #23
Baldy, you are a freak. 'For those of you who don't know, I'm always Solberg when I'm on the forums' what kind of stupid crap is that. Of course people don't know, 'cause you suck. You did alot of stuff years ago, but since it wasn't really amazing or well known, noone cared. Sorry. :(

--------------------
Of all the people to be magically binded to, I have to be stuck with baldy. Why, oh why?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
I give you credit for creative double posting, but it's double posting nonetheless. Please refrain from conversing with yourself. Or if you have to, I guess you should use PMs.

—Alorael, who doesn't know what he'd think of anyone who would actually go to the effort to message himself. It would show dedication, if nothing else.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages