Geneforge 5 - March Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 5 - March Update
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

"Also hoping for a built-in editor. The A5 one is beautiful!"

It is extremely likely that this will happen.

- Jeff Vogel

I... I'm Just so happy right now "sniff" sorry, I'm just go.. go over there to.. yea. "sniff"

[ Saturday, March 08, 2008 08:13: Message edited by: Hawk King ]

--------------------
Die
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #26
"Will we be seeing boats and/or elevation? Also, since this game looks like it will get a lot of replay, how about the ability to turn tutorial messages off?"

Nope, nope, very unlikely.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #27
This is just wonderful news.

The only sad thing is that it is the last game. For some reason I had thought that there would be six Geneforge games. I would be happier with sixty or six hundred more, but I guess you have to end it somewhere.

So long as you never retire, I am happy ;)

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #28
If I count right..the sixth will be the Strong Magic/Medium Shaping?

The only bad thing about this is that Windows users will be tortured a lot longer than those Mac-kies..@_@

Why did I just notice this now? @_@

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #29
So... Jeff, mate. I know you're planning on working on Something New™ after you finish Avernum 6, but you're eventually going to revamp the old Geneforge games, right? Like you did with the old Exile games? Just need a little reassurance, I just went rifling through G2 again and the interface seemed so... bulky after the more refined Geneforge IV.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #30
"So... Jeff, mate. I know you're planning on working on Something New™ after you finish Avernum 6, but you're eventually going to revamp the old Geneforge games, right?"

Yes. The question is when.

Right now, the next in line for the rewrite treatment is Avernum 1-3, which are getting very creaky in their old age and will look and play great when I adapt the Avernum 6 engine to them.

On the other hand, Geneforge 1-3, while a little old and musty, still run fine. So I will definitely polish and rerelease the old games, but it'll be a few years. I don't plan to let my quality work fade away while I'm still living.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Apprentice
Member # 14311
Profile #31
I would love to see the revamped Avernum Trilogy!
My wonder is will some of the old spells from Exile ever come back, like Mindduel (especially) and the area of effect spells, flight and the create barrier spells (oh yeah!).

Incidentally, do you think owners of the original trilogy will get a nethergate-like discount when getting the remakes whenever they come?

--------------------
you will submit to my will...MindDuel!
Apprentice
Member # 15733
Profile #32
I dont think i should have read that post, because now im going to be in an itch to play.

But i would like to mention that i really think you should put in a feature where you have the option to turn on or off the tutorial messages because that is extremely annoying all the "ok's" i have to hit to get throught the tutorial.I would also like to mention the fact that the missing sixth class im putting my money on it being a strong magic, average shaper but i still cant figure out what they will be.Doubt a drakon though because it would it seem they have better melee combat skills. :confused:

I hope everyone isnt as itchy as i am and everybody at spiderweb to keep making good games, and one heck of a good one to replace geneforge. :)
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Drakoninvader1:

I don't think I should have read that post, because now I'm going to be in an itch to play.

But I would like to mention that I really think you should put in a feature where you have the option to turn on or off the tutorial messages because that is extremely annoying all the "ok's" I have to hit to get throughout the tutorial.I would also like to mention the fact that the missing sixth class I'm putting my money on it being a strong magic, average shaper but I still cant figure out what they will be. Doubt a drakon though because it would it seem they have better melee combat skills. :confused:

I hope everyone isn't as itchy as I am and everybody at spiderweb to keep making good games, and one heck of a good one to replace Geneforge. :)

Replace?!!! Never. As for the last class: Arch Sage, I am glad that you can be shaper classes, the agent looks cooler than the infiltrator, the buff system sounds great, hopefully the agent/infiltrator won't be so rigged, I'm sure everyone saw Synergy's Play through, so I'm thankful Jeff.

Oh, but Jeff one question, when you said there will be a built in editor, will it be a blade type of thing, or is it a cheat?

--------------------
Jim, the end of the world is here, the Xel'Naga have returned -Zeratul in Starcraft 2 trailer
I will rule this sector or see it burnt around me! -Arcturus Mengsk
We have cared for Auir and you people, even when you shun us for rejecting the Khala - Zeratul
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons!
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #34
The editor will be a character editor, not a scenario editor.

I have completely redone the tutorial system. I think experienced players will be very happy with it now.

The missing character type is not a drakon. It's a strong magic-medium shaping (or is it the other way around?) human.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #35
Unlockable Drakon class (and accordingly changed script) would be a very, very cool thing. After all, Drakon is strong melee, strong magic, strong shaping. Pluss Drakons are awsome!! Probably not going to happen, but hopefully... ;)

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #36
Excellent.

Any comments on pack animals?
Apprentice
Member # 5540
Profile #37
Jeff,

I have no recommendations, requests, advice, or demands. Just make your game.

Given how good G4 was, I'm sure this will be the best game ever. I await it's release in excited anticipation.

I dearly love your video-game-making skills. Keep on keepin' on, dude.
Apprentice
Member # 7711
Profile #38
Oh lord... the idea of playing as a Drakon... I have to say, I would absolutely love it :P

Not quite sure how that would work out, because as was said earlier, it would be rather overpowered, but still, it would be one hell of a joy ride.

I definitely like increase in the number of factions, providing at the very least 5 different endings.

Definitely very, very excited for this.

Oh, and hurray for a in game editor :P The constant typing of "iamweak" and "iampoor" almost gave me carpal tunnel :D

--------------------
"...Sometimes swirling Force is just swirling Force. It gets all us old Jedi excited at our age, so we go 'Oooh, destiny!'"
-Jolee Bindo
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #39
A suggestion that I think many other people besides me would appreciate. Let the healing finish completely before damage is dealt. I don't know how many times, that I've healed myself for 200 hp, only to have it stop after fifty because I was poisoned and that had to deal 5 damage. Also in midbattle, you heal yourself for 200 hp, it gets to 100, then an enemy hits you for 159 and you never finish healing.

Edit: typo

[ Saturday, March 22, 2008 18:55: Message edited by: The Ratt ]

--------------------
Ornks, Guac, Gazers. 'Nuff said.
=:T:=
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #40
quote:

I have completely redone the tutorial system. I think experienced players will be very happy with it now.

- Jeff Vogel

Glee! No more forced tutorials for the veterans!

quote:

The missing character type is not a drakon. It's a strong magic-medium shaping (or is it the other way around?) human.

- Jeff Vogel

Double glee!

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Warrior
Member # 5161
Profile #41
Will there be any job boards or battle disciplines like in Avernum 5?

--------------------
Blah blah blah I can't hear you!
Apprentice
Member # 7083
Profile #42
First off, yay!

Second, I'm hoping that the buff overhaul will include not making most of the things expire so quickly. I hated having to spend my time in a zone constantly in combat mode to prevent bless, shield, and haste from fading. It was less of a pain than to constantly recast the things, but still a pain.

Something like having each buff take up a chunk of spell energy the same way creations lock down essence or limiting how many buffs you could cast on a target based on intelligence or some other stat while making them last for the whole zone would have been much nicer. The game play should be about which buffs you choose to use, not whether you refreshed your buff for the 5th time before combat starts again.

[ Tuesday, March 25, 2008 18:53: Message edited by: Simon Yu ]
Apprentice
Member # 12702
Profile #43
This thread alone was enough to bring me back from the very brink of ending my cold, miserable existence

(I exaggerate, of course, but not by much...)

Of course, the sheer anticipation of waiting for G5, along with the certainty that it's going to be the end of the series I love so much, is likely to destroy the last few shreds of sanity I've managed to hold on to, but eh, that's the breaks

--------------------
I have had ENOUGH of these (deleted) drayks on this (deleted) plain!
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

quote:

- Jeff Vogel

Glee! No more forced tutorials for the veterans!

I hope this it what Jeff meant, considering he called this 'very unlikely' that in his March 8th letter. But I keep my fingers crossed that this wasn't premature glee-ing.

--------------------
Always try to be true to yourself - unless you suck
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #45
I like most of what I am seeing here. If I wasn't so damn busy with school and so many other projects, I'd say more.

Revamping old Geneforge games? Interesting. Potentially bad though.

--------------------
Tasty Vlish. They're tragically delicious.
Apprentice
Member # 12720
Profile #46
Maybe the sixth(missing class), should be added to the shapers and not the rebels, i mean the rebels have already got to many classes, and in times of war even the most conservatory of factions change their old habits .
Apprentice
Member # 15228
Profile #47
The character editor makes me very happy!!! now I can become ridiculously uber powerful without having to resort to canisters and ending up as a power mad light-bulb! YAY!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

--------------------
To speak the truth one must first see it through both eyes.
Apprentice
Member # 10408
Profile #48
My questions are several.

1. If this is a Geneforge game, will we finally be able to use the Geneforge [at the end of the game] and become über without ending the game or dissolving to a helpless lump? This is all I would really desire.

2. Now that Geneforge 5 will come out and Avernum 6 is due (which will wrap up both series), what's next? What will be the next Great Creation of Jeff Vogel?

3. Once Avernum 6 comes out, will Avernum be offered in boxed-set form (i.e. ALL 6 GAMES, registered, with hintbooks, for the low, low price of, say... $150 or $175)? I would buy it (if I could afford it at the time).

4. (I've been meaning to ask this ever since I went poking around in the innards of Geneforge 2, approximately 4 years ago) Jeff, exactly what scripting language are you using? Also, did you make the game engine yourself, and if not, where can I find a copy?

And if you DID create it all yourself, how much (out of idle curiosity) would it cost to license the engine?

[ Saturday, April 05, 2008 23:25: Message edited by: SoItBegins ]

--------------------
Microsoft is like a herd of dragons with amoebic dysentery: massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

Death takes a holiday.

How not to do it: "Hi, Mr. Dragon. I've come to destroy you, so would you mind if I borrowed your Fireproof Skin Balm recipe first?"
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by SoItBegins:

My questions are several.

1. If this is a Geneforge game, will we finally be able to use the Geneforge [at the end of the game] and become über without ending the game or dissolving to a helpless lump? This is all I would really desire.

No idea since Jeff hasn't revealed any plot details except this game will be larger than usual in order to avoid Geneforge 6.

quote:
2. Now that Geneforge 5 will come out and Avernum 6 is due (which will wrap up both series), what's next? What will be the next Great Creation of Jeff Vogel?
Jeff says he wants to do a new world. Also that he will update the older Avernum and Geneforge games to the newer game engines so they will run on more recent computers.

quote:
3. Once Avernum 6 comes out, will Avernum be offered in boxed-set form (i.e. ALL 6 GAMES, registered, with hintbooks, for the low, low price of, say... $150 or $175)? I would buy it (if I could afford it at the time).[/QB]
I think Jeff will group Avernum 4 through 6 as a trilogy with the Darkside Loyalist theme. No idea when he will discount them.

quote:
4. (I've been meaning to ask this ever since I went poking around in the innards of Geneforge 2, approximately 4 years ago) Jeff, exactly what scripting language are you using? Also, did you make the game engine yourself, and if not, where can I find a copy?

And if you DID create it all yourself, how much (out of idle curiosity) would it cost to license the engine?

The games are written in C++ and he did the game engine.

Pages