Keeping items

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Keeping items
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
I just searched the scripts. It appears the only items there are unlimited "collection quests" for are Research Notes, Swamp Herbs, and Melted Glass.

That's going to lighten my inventory!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #1
This may, in fact, be the most helpful post ever. I had even been collecting paper... just in case.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #2
-X- does not sell anything. Anything. It is in his nature to stack everything up in a single area of extreme value. Currently, that area is General Alwan's quarters. It's not really a problem until -X- finds an area that he likes better.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Most of the items that were collection quests from previous games aren't needed this time. You still need the creations parts for recipes and the gemstones and the red crystals with wiry moss and saltweed for other forged items.

I found that my money problems went away in Chapter 4 when the first time through I finally decided to start selling almost everything.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and have about 7500 gold on hand. That's after spending 5000 on Spellcraft and another chunk of change on a selection of spells. Granted, I haven't bought any creations, but those wouldn't cost too much.

I'm sure stuff gets more expensive, but I find it hard to believe there's going to be the massive financial crunch people have been commenting on.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #5
The earlier betas didn't have enough money or living tools to be had, so Jeff bumped both up. Now I think there are too many living tools, and about the right amount or a bit more than needed for money, especially if you sell off things you aren't going to use, including the older magical gear that has been replaced by something better.

Depending on which class I play, I've wound up with up to $20K gold in excess at some point in the game, including the end once. As a Mental Servile (heh) in my present game, I had about 15K gold going into chapter three, and promptly spent it all in the rebel and shaper camps on magic and shaping. If you are a class that does very little with magic, you will have a lot more money for shaping and other stuff.

I store my anvil goods at the mouth of Sandros mine for the first half of the game, and all other goods I store at the mouth of Southforge, then another friendly town later in the game.

I almost never use wands and find my attack crystals no longer effective long before I use them up, so wind up selling a few dozen ice crystals or spray crystals at some point into the game. There is no anvil use for shaped blades or shaped shields, nor puresteel weapons and armor.

All I buy is living tools, some essence pods (of which I usually have many on hand,) some rare anvil ingredients, and the Runed Amethyst from Uchitelle so I can acidify my steel sword as soon as possible. I never make wands, attack crystals, or rings, except maybe a madness gem or two near the end of the game. This means there are many anvil ingredients I never need and just sell as I get them, like saltweed, wiry moss, etc.

I have been making lists of where special items and ingredients are found and will post them. Have look at my anvil recipes list elsewhere here if you want to know what you will ultimately want to have on hand or not for making things. Your first time through, it's probably more fun to find out as you go though. I make my lists to be useful for replaying the game for optimization.

-S-

[ Friday, November 24, 2006 17:54: Message edited by: Servile Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
Icy crystals are great against wingbolts if you have the dexterity and missle weapons since they do full damage and will kill one in 2 or 3 shots. They also will usually kill a vlish.

Spray crystals are pretty useless after chapter 2. Swarm crystals are better and torrent gems (aura of flames) are great. I save madness gems for when I want to convert many creations to my side and don't have mass madness yet.
Apprentice
Member # 5366
Profile #7
After playing all Geneforge and Avernum games i am always afraid to sell things like iron bars or shaper equipment, thanks for assuring me that i can really sell most of my just-in-case-collection this time :)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
If you don't mind more spoilers, you can also learn what Shaped items should be kept for turning into artifacts. It's not the same set as G3.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
I hate the fact that you can't make all eight of the artifacts. So, really, you don't even need to keep all the artifact ingredients either. It would be one thing if you had to choose between two cloaks or two belts, but you have to choose between boots or belts! How am I supposed to choose between going barefoot or having my leggings of the tyrant fall down?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #10
Congratulations, ET, you finally made me laugh.

-S-

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #11
Great. And that was the one time I was actually being serious.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Servile Synergy:

As a Mental Servile <snip>
I hope you mean that as in "Skilled in mental magic" and not as in "Actually mental" :P

I seldom sell anything.If I get really desperate I use the "iampoor" cheat

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #13
We all get mental after a few canisters.

-S-

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #14
hehe thats true.Or sometimes by using the Geneforge (like Shaila)

off topic:would using the geneforge reapeatbly make you uber?

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Originally by Eater of Pancakes:

quote:
off topic:would using the geneforge reapeatbly make you uber?
Probably not. Once the geneforge changes inferior genes to perfected ones, they can't be changed again.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Added quote.

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 11:01: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #16
It sure does make you uber! Just wait until you get to Northforge, you'll get a chance to use the Geneforge again. Do it!

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #17
ET, you're on a roll. That evoked laugh number two.

-S-

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #18
On the topic of Artifacts, which cloak do you have to use to get a perfected cloak?
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
Shaper Fiber Cloak... or is it Shaped Fiber Cloak? One of those.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #20
Ok, thanks.
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #21
What other items should be collected, hung onto? Even if you only have a quest to collect one or two?
Apprentice
Member # 7921
Profile #22
As the new guy in town, I thought I would put my 2 coins worth in here...
I like the fact that merchants do not have a limited cash supply as in previous Geneforge versions. I can go back to the same stores again and again selling off my loot. I have a couple of nice treasure troves built up in the South Citadel and at the north edge of the Eastern Rise so that I can easily dump any items I find. I have cleaned out expendable items a few times so that I can buy spells and magic. I do wonder why I carry around so much stuff in my backpack however. I can never decide what items will be best on hand, excluding the charms. I am also holding on to many of the ingredients for the anvil but am thinking I should sell a few of those, too. But which ones? That is always the dilemma for me!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #23
Most of the anvil ingredients to improve items aren't worth it. Save golden crystals and steel spines since they always help. Blessing crystals are okay for the beginning half of the game to increase damage although you could also used a runed ruby or amethyst for fire or acid bonus damage. I usually sell off most of the others since cold isn't that helpful.

For heavy spell users save madness gems, rotgroth fangs, and glaahk eyes for mental focus charms.

It really depends upon what you use when playing. Most of the time you don't need gemstones since most players don't use icy crystals. If you don't plan to use it later than sell it since you can buy most of them later on in the game.
Apprentice
Member # 7579
Profile #24

WOW all this talking is making me get impatient for the window's version of geneforge 4
----------------------------------------
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

--------------------
sup guys

Pages