Where will G5 be?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Where will G5 be?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #25
I would be dissapointed if I had to do the whole island hopping thing again like in G3. I found it annoying when I wanted to go back to places. Or if it was on islands at least let us travel back and forth without the whole go to the docks thingy.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Sir Spiff:

Let's BS about where the next Geneforge game will be.
This stands for "Brilliantly Speculate"....

...right?

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Apprentice
Member # 8099
Profile Homepage #27
Here is what i think happened this just a small time line of what i think happened and what will happen. That in G1 you start from the other continent. Your an obyer all the way you are then rescued.Then arrive at the other continet and you get asigned to go with shanti to go and find zachary and barzite again you go with the shaper way. You then go to the ashen isles and go to the acadamy. You become a rebal and help litlia and blaze. Then you and greta and the other rebals go to to southforge to northforge again still a rebal.G5 however your a rebal at the begining but you are attacked by the shaper council and captured along with greta and litlaia you could ethier help the rebels and kill the council or vise versa but first you must get to the capital or get to the rebels city and help or kill thier leaders. thus at the end if you helped the rebels you gain control of the capitial if you helped the shapers then you and an armie kill all the rebels and reclaim the ashen isles but if you choose trakovite (i cant spell it) then you flee to the sholai island and get killed and the shapers and rebles have one big war. (long explaination :D )
Apprentice
Member # 7501
Profile #28
in G4 i think that it was said that the area in G2 was nearby.
not sure about this would mean that the shaper council IS in terrestria since G2 never mentioned going through any sea routes...

and looking at the map(g5) it seems that terrestria has a sea in it center, i wonder what is in there

in the magus complex@ G2, Tuldaric captured an "infernal"??, wich was obviosly not of "this" world:
question = "It is done. Tuldaric is dead. Leave our lands, and never
return.";
text1 = "_That is what I will do, tiny mortal. But not because you
command me. Because I have no interest in staying._";
text2 = "The shade
stretches his arms wide and roars. Fire shoots out from him in all
directions. The circle of runes tries in vain to hold him in. In moments, it
breaks. The shade is free.";
text3 = "The shade looks at you, trying to
decide if it is worth it to kill you. Then it remembers that you were strong
enough to kill Tuldaric. _I suppose I will keep my word to you._";
text4 =
"As you watch carefully, looking for signs of treachery, the shade casts a
spell of strength on you. It is good to its oath. You become much stronger.
Then the shade grins and bares its fangs.";
text5 = "_At last, I leave
forever._ And with that, the shade disappears. No fanfare, smoke or magic.
One moment it is there, the next it is not."; action = END_TALK; text1 =
"You come face to face with the infernal creature. It looks at you hungrily,
but it can't move from its circle. It wields in one hand a wand made of
bone.";
text2 = "_Shaper, I will deal with you. I can help you. You can help
me._";
text5 = "The shade stares at you impatiently.";
text1 = "_That
foolish Shaper is recreating living things, changing them, making them more
capable of performing mighty magics. He has had much success, thanks in part
to me._";
text2 = "This is a serious crime. Shapers are totally forbidden
from dealing with demonic creatures.";
BUT most importantly:
"The specter laughs. _Fool. I am a master of my own realm. I have no interest in the ''''petty treasures'''' and miserable food this region offers me. Once Tuldaric is dead, as my vengeance demands, I want nothing but to leave._";

"petty treasure" this could mean that this demon?shade?'s world must have trasure and other things that make teh shapers seem... lets say ... PUNY
[edit:added sum stuff]

EDIT: Fixed pesky unwrapped text.

[ Saturday, April 07, 2007 12:05: Message edited by: Synergy ]
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #29
I think we can take it as a given that demons and spirits and whatnot have their own realm.

Being two continents doesn't mean that you need to travel by boat between them. For instance they could be separated by mountains or by a narrow peninsular. Either way you could walk between them. GF2 is not particularly conclusive, it really just refers to a walk that takes several weeks:

IMAGE(http://www.anthonygoreham.net/jpg/gf2endwalk.jpg)

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
G5 will begin with the rebels finally laying seige to the Shaper Council. In a last ditch defense, the Shapers throw everything they have at the rebels, but it is to no avail, the rebels are too strong. Alone and tired, the shapers surrender.
Amazed, the new rulers arrest and imprison the shapers, unsure how to proceed. After all, who would have expected success? Many cried for swift revenge, but eventually calmer words were heard and it was decided to banish them forever.

They were thrown into the pit.

Now you get to play an exiled shaper! You are in a series of mines that descend deeply into the earth. Fight terrifying monsters! Search desperately for food that you can also create with a spell! Search for a new exit, for it is rumored that the tunnels and caves stretch under the ocean all the way to the lands of the Sholai and beyond!
(Available for Mac in early 2008)

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #31
Interesting. The GF2 ending says that you 'reach the capital'. I think its reasonable to assume that Jeff means that capital of the continent you are currently on, otherwise he would have said 'You reach the capital on the other continent'.

Yes, I know its not conclusive, but I wouldn't assume that a Shaper Council doesn't exist in Terrestia. Just because its 'less settled' than the other continent doesn't mean that it can't be administrated.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #32
Not necessarily. Why should both continents have a capital? They're both part of the same state.

In the real world, continents have more than one state and more than one capital. With GF, we already have to make a leap of faith to assume that not just one, but two entire continents are part of a single state. It's not much of a further stretch to suppose that there is a single seat of power across the two continents.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #33
In G3, Akhari Blaze implies that the Council is on Terrestia: "It is time for you to go to Terrestia. It is time for our forces there to know what we have done. And for the Shaper Council to know that their cause is lost... Return to the mainland. Find Ghaldring. Find the Council. Tell them of the Geneforge."

G2 is more conclusive: "You stand on the road leading out of these mountains. It is but a three days' walk to the next city and a quick, easy journey from there to the Shaper Council." A boat might be involved, but changing continents could hardly be a "quick, easy journey".

The PC, on Mouawad: "The members of the Council rule the Shapers, and thus all Terrestia."

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #34
Slarty has already address the issue, but I'd just like to make a few comments regarding Mica's statements:

quote:

Not necessarily. Why should both continents have a capital? They're both part of the same state.

The Shaper Empire isn't a nation state as we understand it today. The Shaper Empire is, well, an Empire. The Romans had an Eastern and Western Empire, each with its respective capital.

quote:

With GF, we already have to make a leap of faith to assume that not just one, but two entire continents are part of a single state.

Why? Why can't each continent have its own respective council? It's unrealistic for the Shaper Council on another continent to affect change on the other continent in a timely and efficient manner.

quote:

It's not much of a further stretch to suppose that there is a single seat of power across the two continents.

It's possible, I guess. But Slarty has pretty much conclusively demonstrated that at least one Shaper Council exists, and that it resides in Terrestia.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #35
I think we can safely say that there is one, and only one, Shaper Council. There are hundreds of references to it throughout the games and not one of them is plural.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

There you have it then. I think it is fairly safe to say that the Council does not live on Terrestia.

I got the impression that the council's seat of power was on Terrestia.

We haven't exactly heard about a lot of other islands/island chains/other continents. But, it was really neat to be able to visit Porypha and Dillame. I've been waiting since I heard about them in the end storylines of previous games.

[ Saturday, April 07, 2007 07:30: Message edited by: Sarasaphilia ]

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #37
shadowss — 

Please first hard wrap your text to fit the screen if you post a script for discussion purposes. Lengthy unwrapped text makes it hard to read everything on the page as well as messes up the Today's Active Posts page. Thank you.

-S-

[ Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:49: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Slarty 2.0:

G2 is more conclusive: "You stand on the road leading out of these mountains. It is but a three days' walk to the next city and a quick, easy journey from there to the Shaper Council." A boat might be involved, but changing continents could hardly be a "quick, easy journey".
Well, that just shows how inconsistent Jeff has been. One minute it's a quick, easy journey the next minute it's a long walk that takes several weeks. One minute Terrestia is the wilder and less settled of two continents, the next it's the seat of power of the Shaper Council.

Remind me, was Sulfras male or female?

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #39
Please excuse double post for utterly separate content.

quote:
Originally written by Suspicious Vlish:

Slarty has already address the issue, but I'd just like to make a few comments regarding Mica's statements
Why? What on earth is the point?

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #40
Waylander is being suspiciously argumentative lately, at least about everything Geneforge-related. He's probably just irritable about his loss in the "Are Drakons superior beings?" thread. :rolleyes:

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

One minute Terrestia is the wilder and less settled of two continents, the next it's the seat of power of the Shaper Council.
It could be both. Sometimes a capital is deliberately established in a neutral area for political reasons.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #42
I can think of no relevant examples. The United States capital, maybe, but that was placed so that it was near the center of the country. Why would the Shapers place theirs farther away from civilization? It makes no sense. The capital must be on the other continent.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #43
I haven't been able to find a single line from any of the games suggesting that Terrestia is the less settled Shaper land. G4 makes it clear that Eastern Terrestia is the less settled part of Terrestia, but there's nothing to suggest it's the Shaper equivalent of Valorim.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Slarty 2.0:

I haven't been able to find a single line from any of the games suggesting that Terrestia is the less settled Shaper land. G4 makes it clear that Eastern Terrestia is the less settled part of Terrestia, but there's nothing to suggest it's the Shaper equivalent of Valorim.
You should read the geography thread. Micawber brought up this screenshot:

IMAGE(http://www.anthonygoreham.net/jpg/gf3introscreenshot.jpg)

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #45
Sorry Slarty, I forgot that was a separate thread, or I'd have put in a reference.

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Sometimes a capital is deliberately established in a neutral area for political reasons.
Bah, the Australians don't count. :P

Edit: 2 birds, 1 stone. That's economy.

[ Sunday, April 08, 2007 13:05: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #46
Whoever made the argument including the Eastern and Western Roman Empires got it all wrong. By the time they were considered so, they had been legally split by the previous emperor and were, therefore, actually seperate states with two seperate emperors.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Retlaw May:

Whoever made the argument including the Eastern and Western Roman Empires got it all wrong.
That would be Waylander, the King of Bad Analogies.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Retlaw May:

Whoever made the argument including the Eastern and Western Roman Empires got it all wrong. By the time they were considered so, they had been legally split by the previous emperor and were, therefore, actually seperate states with two seperate emperors.
What about South Africa, then? It has three capital cities.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #49
How does haveing 3 captials increase its governing effectiveness? One possiblty I see is that their is one counicle that is distrubtied through out the empire for admistrative purposes and come together only to pass the most important decrees. So its possible for half the counicl based on the main continet and the other half on terrestria. This terristain half of council proably is proably in the western part. Since Alwan sought approval for launch his forces they have to be close enough for him to get their and back but not too close to the front.
The command abilty of a nation depends on its communcation abilties and its abilites to move resources and people. Which is why I like to see the shapers experiment with elcetricty with things other then attacks possible communcation. Imagine the advantage they gain agianst the rebels.(don't under estimate logstic abilty.

[ Sunday, April 08, 2007 22:20: Message edited by: Lord Safey ]

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not

Pages