Geneforge 5: Improvements, Innovations etc

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 5: Improvements, Innovations etc
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #0
I search through the forums, trying to find a topic like this but I didn't so I've started one for the discussion of what you would like to see(Or not)in Geneforge 5.

I think someone else originally brought this up but I'd like to see NPC's recognise what kind of shaped creations you have. When you walk into a friendly shaper camp, you would think that someone would comment on the fact you have a few Drayks following you around.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #1
I'm with ya sister! P.S. read ,Having a Shaping Warren or Rebel Safehouse, It has a few ideas. Also dryaks and drackons should make comments.

"Hey why are you helping the Shapers? How dare you! AHH DON'T ABSORB ME!! I'M sorry! or for the drackon "You dare help the shapers!! ARRRR (summons 8 battle bettas that beat you to crap) DIE TRAITOR!! Stupid weak humans.

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Apprentice
Member # 8292
Profile #2
quote:
or for the drackon "You dare help the shapers!! ARRRR (summons 8 battle bettas that beat you to crap) DIE TRAITOR!! Stupid weak humans.

But think about that, by the time you are powerful enough to have a Drakon, you will probably be powerful enough to kill one as well. :P ;)
Other than that I agree with all of the stuff from here and the Shaping/Rebel Warrens thread.

[ Monday, March 12, 2007 02:53: Message edited by: XTehmasterX ]

--------------------
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest person you can always trust to be dishonest, honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for, because you can never tell when they're going to do something...stupid."
-Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #3
Nope. Won't happen. The most you would get would be strange looks and bad vibes. Besides, your all new noobs, other than Milla.

But, on a less disparaging note, this has been a frustration to Spiderwebbers for a long time. Jeff has decided against it, probably because it would be an unfair restriction if you joined the Shapers.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #4
An improvement for g5, the charged creations...I hate them, I mean who could possibly prefer to make a corrupted rothgoroht that will day instantly instead of a so cool named rotzidon(or rotdizon I don't remember, both are cool)??

I want my terror vlishes back!! not those stupid charged vlishes that will die!! That kind of poison damage found in the terror vlish can be found nowhere else.

Well you know what I mean with that...Further ideas later...
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #5
Add kyshakks, wingbolts, etc to the G3 creation series and maybe a few new spells, and I will be completely happy.

I have it from a reliable source that there will not be a Geneforge VI.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #6
Yeah I have readed that thing of G6 around here... Jeff is supossed to end the main rebellion plot in G5, so I expect the game to be awesome. :D
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #7
@ the Doctor: After writing that I did think that it wouldn't happen due to reasons that you yourself stated.

But I suppose that you by the time you were able to shape barred creatures people wouldn't want to mess with you anyway.

Anyway, I'd like to see more crafting recipes or a reappearance of the Sholai.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #8
The Trakovites were the Sholai for G4. They weren't actually Sholai, but they were mistakenly named after one.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #9
I'd like to see creations treated like your own character. Avernum type set up. Drackons should be able to shape. In fact when you summon an idependint creation like that it should follow you and be well independint. And I realy think Drackons should Shape.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #10
Me as well. You could control up to... (counts on fingers)...17 creations!

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #11
*Spoilers ahead...*

I finished the game yesterday, the plot was nice, I enjoyed seeing the end after the decisions I had made throughout the game, but I am VERY disappointed that in the final *battle* against Alwan and the creations trying to sabotage the preparations for the unbound I was only able to make 1 (ONE) Drakon or any other 4th level creation. I decided to keep my drayk and Wingbolt. I was a rebel lifecrafter who used all the canisters I found.

Yes the final battle was not tough (the shaper camp in the South of the first province was indeed hard, but still I expected all my abilities and power to be put to the test in the final battle...
So in a G5, please let us be able to make more level 4 creations!

[ Monday, March 12, 2007 16:31: Message edited by: Marcelo ]

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #12
Next game I want to be able to chose drackon as a character. That would be awsome. :)

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #13
No. Period, no. The Doctor would say why, but an angry dad is coming his way.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Kernio the Magnificent:

Next game I want to be able to chose drackon as a character. That would be awsome. :)
Yeah Im 99.9% positive thaat that won't happen, sorry.
And yeah I too love the idea of having a shaping lab or rebel safehouse. Even though it is almost gaurenteed that it won't happen.

Edit: darn you dctor, you beet me to it. :P

[ Monday, March 12, 2007 17:28: Message edited by: Hawk King ]
Apprentice
Member # 3828
Profile #15
I would love to have a nethergate type setup, where you could pick to start as a rebel (and have all the rebel classes) or start as a shaper (and choose from the shaper classes). Yes I know some classes are equivilants but if you had the same thing as nethergate happening, which is for those who haven't played it, the two corresponding storylines interact, so when party A is doing something party B is too it would be quite interesting.

Its probably too much effort just because it would mean writing storylines for both characters when you're only using one, and then there would be the confusion of what to do with the other if you turned coat. Still... :)

I would like the shapers to notice if you had creatures they've barred or don't use, and have the appropriate reactions, its a minor point and I don't know how you would implement it, but it would force the point a little in my mind about the general reaction of the population to seeing a drakon or gazer in the street.

--------------------
Morbo is pleased but sticky...
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #16
The restriction should apply as much to the Rebels - what Drakon is going to stand for an instant seeing another be subservient to a mere human?!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #17
When did you get back?

And hello.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Apprentice
Member # 8073
Profile #18
I think it would be cool if you could make a creation and then ride on its back.

I would climb on a Drakon and herd my Cryoas. Giddy up Drakon. Get along little Cryoa.

-----------------
Supreme Lord of the Noobs
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #19
I want to ride in a rothgoroth and then see how all my skin burns and dissolves, sexy isn't?

Also a drakon would never let a so inferior being to ride in its back.

Also playing as a drakon would be as unprovable as playing with a vahnatai in avernum.
Apprentice
Member # 3828
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by -silver-:

The restriction should apply as much to the Rebels - what Drakon is going to stand for an instant seeing another be subservient to a mere human?!
Eep, yeah didn't think about that.
Scrap the whole bloody idea. Too complex.

--------------------
Morbo is pleased but sticky...
Warrior
Member # 43
Profile #21
One interesting thing for me--if you could do something other than use canisters... for example, destroy them for xp (and maybe even something of a minor quest, like 'destroy # canisters for [insert item]').
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Agnessa:

One interesting thing for me--if you could do something other than use canisters... for example, destroy them for xp (and maybe even something of a minor quest, like 'destroy # canisters for [insert item]').
I really wanted to do that while playing G4. So I could play as an active trakovite and devote myself to ridding the world of canisters rather than just avoiding them.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
The easiest way to implement it would probably be a dialogue box that pops up every time you use a canister, but that might get annoying.

(On the other hand, said dialogue box could also give you an idea of what the canister is going to do to you before you use it, rather than forcing you to save first and reload if you don't want it.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #24
That's something that has always bothered me. In principle it seems very reasonable that the effect of a canister might be impossible to tell in advance, if you didn't make it yourself. And then since using it is irreversible, you're really rolling the dice every time you touch one. This adds to the canister mystique.

Except you're totally not, because you always save, and reload if the skill gained isn't worth the countdown towards a changed ending. Which is just tedious.

Since disabling saving is not a good idea, I see two basic options for improvement.

1) Let the player recognize in advance what the canister will do. By now canisters are well known, and a rebel PC might be trained in recognizing them.

2) Do some clever stuff with timers and SDFs to give canister effects that don't appear for some time, or until some specific things are done (such as using another canister, or entering some special environment). By the time you fully realize what that canister did to you, you've played too much more of the game to want to go back. Some delayed effects could even be made random, so that consulting a walkthrough wouldn't remove the risk.

I like option 2) best, but it could be combined with 1), in that player knowledge of canisters could be unreliable or incomplete.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages