Shaper/Lifecrafter.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Shaper/Lifecrafter.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #0
Now to you smart people...this may be a dumb question,but just answer it for a curious guy please...

Are shapers "born"? or are they shaped by other shapers? I mean you can be a human,and then go to a shaper school and learn...
Or use the geneforge like in the game in the beginning,illegally shaped...i just don't know how to ask it,or how it would be explained,i'm confused,anyone care to tell me?

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Neither. Anyone with any level of magical ability can learn to shape. It's just that learning it the traditional way is a excruciatingly long process, that only a privileged few receive. I'm sure the Rebels could train Lifecrafters this way too, but since they don't have the time, they have to take dangerous shortcuts. Like using the Geneforge.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #2
okay...so where do they come from? they just appear out of nowhere?
they must be born,or made somehow...

--------------------
R.R
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #3
Shapers go from village to village, seeking those who show promice and loyalty. They take the best of these and send them away to schools to learn the shaping arts. The first few years are basically the time in which the students learn how to absorb information quickly and end up not learning any true power until years into their schooling.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
They come from the same place every other human being comes from. It's just that some have the innate, magical talent required and others don't. Granted, the Geneforge and/or canisters can be used to, in a way, write this ability into a person, but other than that, they're born, not made.

Actually, this raises a similar, interesting question. Do Shapers ever settle down? And if they do, does their child carry the abilities of his/her parents?

[ Wednesday, February 28, 2007 20:15: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #5
I get it...
but how long would this "schooling" last for a shaper to leave out on his own and such?
haha...shaper college...shaper high schools...
I wonder if you learn how to create everything in a school,every single creation...hmm.

--------------------
R.R
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Retlaw May:

Shapers go from village to village, seeking those who show promice and loyalty. They take the best of these and send them away to schools to learn the shaping arts. The first few years are basically the time in which the students learn how to absorb information quickly and end up not learning any true power until years into their schooling.
Is this from the games somewhere?

From my limited Geneforge experience, I've never really gotten the feeling that mages or even shapers are especially unique. It's not something poetically in the blood or prosaically in the genes. Much like becoming a proverbial rocket scientist, a neurosurgeon, or a brilliant musician and songwriter, it's something that takes the right abilities and the right training. Shapers run the schools that give that training. The first shapers probably had to work it out painstakingly for themselves, much like the first of any specialty, but eventually the records added up and came together to become a standard course of study.

Or, of course, you can have the Geneforge or some canisters muck with your head and come out able to make creations and likely to set people on fire for blinking at you funny. Your choice!

—Alorael, who gets the vague impression that Shaper schools are similar to universities. The students aren't children and they're already dedicated to shaping rather than any other area of study.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Actually, this raises a similar, interesting question. Do Shapers ever settle down? And if they do, does their child carry the abilities of his/her parents?
I've wondered about this too. Most Shapers seem to be loners, and the games rarely mention spouses or lovers. The only exceptions I can think of are the couple Lord Rahul and Lady Anjali, who are both Shapers, and Khyryk, who had an Agent wife or lover who is dead at the time he appears in the games. Neither situation seems to have produced children, though. There's also little to no mention of your character's parents and what Shaping or magic abilities they may have had.

I would hazard a guess that, since use of the Geneforge actually messes with your DNA, that might affect any children you produce after you've used the Geneforge. Other than that, though, I have no idea.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #8
i Wonder how old the shapers would be learning in these "schools"

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
Shaping is just learned like anything else is learned, requiring much patience and skill. The games never really say anthing about certain people being born more naturally adept at shaping than others, so it's probably just largly based on your intelligence.

As for shapers tending to be loners, that's probably a side affect of the arrogance that comes with the job. Lord Rahul was a lord as well, so his marriage could also have been a legal or customary matter rather than a romantic one.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
You meet a lifecrafter, Burkes, down in Chickweed Bridge who learned some shaping for artilas the old fashioned way so he could teach you. There are mages who want to get Shaper texts so they can learn how to shape and advanced mage spells that are restricted.

There are also the comments from GF1 that the serviles in the Taker area had learned the basic training that Shapers in general have to learn. This allows the Shapers to use their minds to cast spells and shape using essence.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by dareva:

I would hazard a guess that, since use of the Geneforge actually messes with your DNA, that might affect any children you produce after you've used the Geneforge.
We've seen this effect to some extent with the Drakons; it's implied that earlier generations are saner than later generations, because each new generation is born with the enhancements it's inherited and then shapes itself a little more on top of that.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #12
Forget drakons.

Damien-Forget drakons!

hmm...the maximum shaping skill you need is 3 to make the original creations...so should i keep it only up to 3 and raise some other things? or focu on one type of shaping?
i don't really think that the second creations are worth it. maybe a waste of essence.
and you only need 7 for everything...any suggestions?

[ Thursday, March 01, 2007 03:08: Message edited by: BLACK HAZE ]

--------------------
R.R
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #13
Horrible change of topic, Haze. You need to practice.

Presumably, if the canisters change the DNA, the child may be born with the abilities of the parent. Gah, that would be awful. Imagine little six year olds running around with the ability to cast aura of flames.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #14
How do shapers learn magic is quite a mistery, considering that shapers aren't interested in offspring, and the non-shaper people is too poor for paying a good education...Maybe it's just one of the things that aren't considered in this games...
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #15
The Shapers relentlessly comb the villages and towns for people with the potential talent for Shaping. Presumably, mages do the same for those with an aptitude for magic.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Dark Mage:

quote:
and the non-shaper people is too poor for paying a good education...
There are a lot of fairly wealthy non-Shapers out there: merchants, mages, some farmers, etc. They could afford to send someone off to become a Shaper. Prosperity is one of the reasons people give for supporting the Shapers, after all.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #17
I get the feeling that, except in a few select areas, there is very little true poverty in the Shapers' area.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche