The best creations?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The best creations?
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #0
Which are the best creations to have with you?
tell me an army with at least 5-7 creations,i prefer 5,but tell me the best armies to fight with,any suggestions are nice.

--------------------
R.R
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #1
Best to have some diversity. Most people like having at least one wingbolt. Drakons are generally supposed to be good along with its two predicesors. I've heard mixed reviews on eyebeasts.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
What you want to use depends on where you are, how much essence you have, and how you're playing. Wingbolts and drayks are generally good. I haven't been using gazers much, so I can't comment. For the first half or two thirds of the game nothing gives the same bang for your buck as fyoras and cryoas.

—Alorael, who is also very fond of using an army of five or six permanent creations with a couple of cannon fodder or temporary helpers. There are a lot of times when you'll want to be able to throw acid around, and roamers are great for it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #3
With my infiltrator I just had 2 creations, a Khyshakk or whatever, and a drayk... Maybe I should have more but I needed the essence for spells, maybe i'm not a good geneforge player yet...
I like khyshakks but their energy runs out too fast, not like drayks and drakons. I'm not very used to battle creations so I don't know them very well...
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #4
What is the Wingbolts' class? fire? magic?

Dark Mage: another fellow from Chile?? greetings :cool:

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Wingbolts are magic class, tier 4.

For the first two chapters a flock of fyoras or a swarm of artilas will do just fine. Cryoas are nice, but they have to bite shades and use up essence.

Drayks are great general purpose creations that will make it through the remainder. Wingbolts are nice, but take a lot of essence and will run out of energy. Kyshakks make great shields with their massive health.

If you just want one creation then get a drakon. Gazers don't deal out enough damage in fights with ur-drakons and will run out of energy. Never tried an eyebeast.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #6
I always like Ur-Glaahks and Terror Vlish. Of course, I don't know how good they are (or if they exist) in Geneforge 4. Stunning doesn't seem to be as deadly in Geneforge 4 due to the new AP system, so Glaahks probably aren't as useful. However, terror is always a useful spell.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #7
I think that Cryoas Roamers, Drayks, Cryodrayks, and Wingbolts are the best creations. You can get Cryoas before you leave Southforge and they stay useful throughout the game if you evolve them. Roamers are a good and cheap source of acid damage. Drayks only do a bit less damage than Drakons but they cost a lot less. Cryodrayks do cold damage, which is resisted less than fire and magic. Wingbolts just do a lot of damage, plus their bite is poisonous, which can be useful since not many creatures resist poison.

Kyshakks, Rotghroths, and Eyebeasts are pretty good too. Kyshakks do less damage than Wingbolts but they have a lot more health and their lightning aura is actually pretty good against creatures that resist magic. Rotghroths are probably the only Battle Creation worth making due to their chance of double attack and acid touch. Rotghroths are also useful to have since the melee damage of Fire and Magic creations seemed to have been significantly reduced. Eyebeasts are very powerful but they're also very expensive.

I don't think that Drakons, Ur-Drakons and Gazers are worth their cost. Drakons and Ur-Drakons do more damage and have more health than Drayks but it's just cheaper to create more Drayks or to level and evolve Drayks. Gazers have better resistance, health, and melee damage but they do about the same range damage.

You can go through the game with only Fire Shaping. You cover all the elements, Roamers cover enemies in acid, Fyora/Drayks/Drakons/Ur-Drakons do fire damage, Kyshakks do magic damage, and Cryoas/Cryodrayks are the only creations that do cold damage.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #8
mm,i was thinking something expensive...like this.
2 Rotghroth
2 Gazer
1 Drakon

or for a cheaper version...
2 Glaahk
2 Battle alpha
1 Drayk

--------------------
R.R
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #9
Ur-drakons are absolute nessecity since not only they have the best offence and defence, but also their attack slows their victims. The only creations need to keep at the end are Drakons, Ur-drakons, Gazers and Wingbolts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #10
You won't get Ur-Drakons until the end of the game while you can have Drayks and Wingbolts for half the game.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #11
I think that shaping ur-drakons is irrational, because there is no such creatures mentioned in the game.

Marcelo aren't you Nazgul?(I think that was your old name...)y d q parte eres?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dark Mage:

I think that shaping ur-drakons is irrational, because there is no such creatures mentioned in the game.
Uh, yes there are. The red drakons in the game are ur-drakons; they're drakons that have been modified by the Geneforge.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #13
Oh ok then...
And what does the "UR-" thing mean?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #14
In this case it means better and stronger. Really ur- means original or earliest, but in usage it has come to mean extreme or outstanding in a general sense. For example:

1983 Sunday Tel. 13 Mar. 14/6 Russell Hoban is an ur-novelist, a maverick voice that is like no other.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #15
quote:

No Amigo, I have never been Nazgul, y soy de Punta Arenas!!!!!!!! al suuuuur y tú compatriota??

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #16
quote:
I don't think that Drakons, Ur-Drakons and Gazers are worth their cost. Drakons and Ur-Drakons do more damage and have more health than Drayks but it's just cheaper to create more Drayks or to level and evolve Drayks.
The only problem with this line of reasoning is that the number of creations you can have is limited to 7. You can't just create more drayks once you reach the limit, so it's not a question of quality v. quantity. My 3 drakons, 2 cryodrayks and eyebeast would own your 7 drayks.

quote:
mm,i was thinking something expensive...like this.
2 Rotghroth
2 Gazer
1 Drakon

or for a cheaper version...
2 Glaahk
2 Battle alpha
1 Drayk

The question is what kind of build does your PC have? Are you good at melee and magic and low on essence? If you are, a cheap build can work (although your particular cheap build looks a little melee heavy and I have found alphas to be quite lame. glaaks and alphas cost the same as drayks, i'd say drop 1 glaahk and one alpha or both alphas and make 2 more drayks. What might be even better is to go all drayk). If you are a lifecrafter though, nothing beats a strong team. You have all that essence to make big mean monsters, so make them.

Everyone always talks about how magic is the most powerful path, but I feel it's shaping. My lifecrafter and shocktrooper trampled over enemies quicker and with much greater ease than my servile and infiltrator. In so many encounters my team never takes any damage, not because i stun, daze, slow, or terrorize, but because I go first and there are no more enemies for a second round. Yes the PC will be weaker, but that's what essence armor, steel skin, and augmentation are for. Besides, it doesnt matter how strong you are if your enemy is a pool of blood.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #17
To be honest,i think a pure lifecrafter meaning (no magic,or anything besides shaping skills)
is the best,just use healing craft spells for your creations and let them fight for you,thats how its supposed to go...i think.

--------------------
R.R
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #18
Cower near the exit zone area and send your creations out. When threatened, absorb everything and leave. It's only a problem when you have to open doors.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #19
so,you agree with my idea? most people would say "give your shaper magic skills"
i would train..
mechanics (of course)
leadership (of course)
heal craft
fire shape (for high level creations
magic shape (for high level creations)
battle shape (if you want high level creations.)
endurance (sorta need)
intelligence (duh)
and why do people tell me not to raise any of your shaping skills above 10?

--------------------
R.R
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
You probably could win with only shaping, but only by keeping your character out of combat and sending your minions ahead, then leaving and returning whenever you run out of essence. It's not an optimal build by any means. A small investment in magic makes your shaper useful rather than just a way to move critters around.

After 10 points, shaping skills start losing their effectiveness. You no longer get one level per skill point.

—Alorael, who doesn't see any reason to waste skill points on three different kinds of shaping. You can do just fine with any one. Battle creations just aren't that tempting, and you can decide whether you prefer fire or magic.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Marcelo:

quote:

No Amigo, I have never been Nazgul, y soy de Punta Arenas!!!!!!!! al suuuuur y tú compatriota??

Uhhh vivi bien a la conchesumadre!! :D

Yo soy de talca, = bkn punta arenas me gustaria ir algun dia :)

Estabai en el foro desde el 2003 y nunca posteabai? es que abia otro tb de chile que tb era mas antiguo q yo, pero no lo veo ace tempo...
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

[QB]
quote:
I don't think that Drakons, Ur-Drakons and Gazers are worth their cost. Drakons and Ur-Drakons do more damage and have more health than Drayks but it's just cheaper to create more Drayks or to level and evolve Drayks.
The only problem with this line of reasoning is that the number of creations you can have is limited to 7. You can't just create more drayks once you reach the limit, so it's not a question of quality v. quantity. My 3 drakons, 2 cryodrayks and eyebeast would own your 7 drayks.
I never said that you should only make Drayks. I also never said that you should pick quantity over quality. I said that you could make more Drayks than Drakons or level and evolve them to become better than Drakons but with a lower essence cost since you can get Drayks much earlier than Drakons. There's also the fact that 3 Drakons, 2 Cryodrayks and an Eyebeast costs twice as much essence as 7 Drayks. Let's also not forget that there are 5 classes and three of them don't have the essence to make many high level creations.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #23
quote:
Uhhh vivi bien a la conchesumadre!! :D

Yo soy de talca, = bkn punta arenas me gustaria ir algun dia :)

Estabai en el foro desde el 2003 y nunca posteabai? es que abia otro tb de chile que tb era mas antiguo q yo, pero no lo veo ace tempo...[/QB]
Jeje yes, me cambio al ingles pa que no piensen que los estamos pelando jeje ;-) I sometimes posted in the avernum forums I didn't know there was someone else from Chili here, that's cool. Debes tener un muy buen ingles porque estos juegos se basan en la comprension jeje, no creo que seamos muchos los de chile jeje saludos!

greetings!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #24
It is a problem of quantity vs quality. Drayks and most other creatures (even war troll) miss a lot in late game. Besides they don't have good enough hit points and resistance to survive. Area affect spell will be nightmare for your lower-tier army.

Besides, a drayk can never be evolved or upgraded as powerful as a drakon. Out of the question.

A minimal party for a lifecrafter at the end should be a ur-drakon (for slow), a drakon and two wingbolts. They provide reliable fire and magic damage, cost a total essence less than 800.

Pages