Music while playing GF4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Music while playing GF4?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #0
So, while you play Geneforge 4, do you prefer:

1)listening to the background sounds and groans, blade swings, etc?
2) put some background music, whatever your favourite style is.
3) Listen to the news or movies on TV.
4) listen to people speaking around you.
5) listen the radio.
6) listen to the rain falling
7) listen to your cat/dog/snake, etc.
??
??

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I listen to the music of the spheres.

—Alorael, who has also been known to listen to other kinds of music.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #2
I usually plug earphones and enjoy the sounds of nature in Terrestria, no music, nothing else.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #3
Same as the other games really; I particularly like to listen to Wagner's operas while playing Geneforge. It seems appropriate somehow.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7947
Profile Homepage #4
I think marcelo is right, there should be nature sounds only, I don't think that the geneforge games are games the need music
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #5
I prefer Tom Cochrane's Paper Tigers all the way for any game.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
I listen to music when playing games like World of Warcraft, but for some reason I don't like reading and playing music at the same time. That means no music for any of Jeff's games. At least his newer games have plenty of background sounds to fill the nothingness, and he's even thoughtful enough to have the noises stop when lots of text is on the screen.

I don't think it would hurt for Jeff to add some kind of ambient music to the game, similar to Fallout. Judging from the opening themes, his taste is neutral enough for it to work.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #7
Erm...that kind of background music is really repetitive and annoying after a while. Jeff would definitely put in a "Music Off" function, but it would probably be nicer to never have music if everyone would wind up wanting to use that function anyway.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Apprentice
Member # 7992
Profile #8
I usually listen to paul weller, but i have only been playing G4 for a couple of weeks, so that could change

--------------------
Slate Beauty
I Look Down From
Castle of the Winds
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
I like the background sounds, and for once, I'm listening to them instead of my own music... The rain is just too purdy.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #10
I'm new and this is my third post but I have played the demos quite a bit for all but the first one and I realy think they could benifit from some music. Its not immposible to make clever background music. Plus I find that the background sounds aren't very good, I mean hearing machines or wind in a natural cave is just plain creepy. The town backgrounds are what I hate most because they got some weird lady saying Pa to ca ba (mooo) (cluck cluck) (wagon). repeat So I think that the sound effects could be greatly improved and I would love the game a lot more if they were. P.S. I know a guy that could maby do the job (raises eyebrows)

P.S how do you get the little call sign thing at the bottom of post?javascript:void(0)

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #11
By the way, I was wondering, have you also noticed this lady in Dillame who keeps repeating something like "wants so" and the something like "the poor" any other clues on this lady's speech??

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Kernio the Magnificent:

I'm new and this is my third post but I have played the demos quite a bit for all but the first one and I realy think they could benifit from some music. Its not immposible to make clever background music.
Jeff hates music in games. Not going to happen. Full stop. Unless he thinks it'll get him a lot more customers, which he doesn't.

quote:
P.S how do you get the little call sign thing at the bottom of post?
Your signature? Click the "My Profile" link at the top of the page, then click "View/Update Profile".

[ Saturday, March 10, 2007 20:25: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #13
More often than not, I summon an online streaming music station via iTunes called The Drone Zone, which provides uninterrupted ambient, atmospheric music which goes unobtrusively well with the gaming environment. Either that or my own similar music on disc.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
I forgot about Drone Zone! I used to listen to that all the time. Good stuff, reminds me of the Starcraft soundtrack.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #15
I have reserected this thread!! lol Well if Jeff hates music so much why did he put that little sound track in the beginning and end. I liked them a lot (could of been longer though).

Whats drone zone and where do you get it?

[ Sunday, March 11, 2007 06:40: Message edited by: Kernio the Magnificent ]

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
I have to choose between background sound with no music or music with no background sound. Usually I stick with the background sound but occasionally I'll listen to the LotR soundtrack or something similar.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 8280
Profile #17
I like the background sounds as they are. Back when I was playing Geneforge I and was in town my roommate walked in and started talking about how he did not like being in a house with neibors so close by. He was like, see listen to that you can hear the neighbors talking. I had to point out that what he was hearing was my game. :D In one of the first areas of the game it is raining, and I really enjoy listening to the rain fall. Music in this type of game is really not necessay, even though the sounds are a bit repititious. The sounds sort of set the mood in the differant areas.

--------------------
"Loincloth not strictly necessary but recommended not to upset delicate outsiders."
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #18
I like the enviroment sounds of Geneforge, they complement some areas perfectly, but yes, it's quite repetitive. What really creeps me out are the areas that don't have background sound, they remind me of Exile...Also with other avernum games I usually have music from my own library playing, but not in geneforge.