Monarch

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Monarch
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #0
I'm downstairs with the Monarch. I've learned about his control baton from that other lapsed shaper, but that's it. I don't have my own baton or anything like that. He and his creations seem to be slaughtering me.

Am I missing something here?

BTW, I'm a rebel with stakovite leanings, but I'm also trying to form my own splinter party in the area. I figure I can get at least a few votes in the Illyra parliament.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
There is a spare control baton hidden in a cabinet in Monarch's quarters. But even with the baton you need leadership of 7 and usually more to have a real chance to gain control.

Unless you have lots of health to ride out the attacks using major healing pods, you need some friends. Either your own creations or some allies recruited from Captain Ellesworth back in Rebel Camp Aziraph. Using essence shackles to slow Monarch down, strong daze to stun the newly summoned creations, dominate or terror on the creations, or at least wrack to keep them from bothering you is needed to keep from being swarmed. Once Monarch is killed the summon creations are gone.
Apprentice
Member # 5366
Profile #2
is there any way to kill monarch without that baton? since i didnt find the other shaper (where is he?) i dont get the option to take or use them, and killing hordes of his creations and hammering on himself didnt get me anywhere, seems like an endless loop :rolleyes:
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Yes, with magic it is doable albeit very difficult. As has already been said, you need to go to the Rebel camp and recruit help.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
If you want to get information on the baton you'll have to go south another section, fight a few more things, and talk to the imprisoned shaper to the southwest.

—Alorael, who didn't have 7 leadership and got acceptable mileage out of the control baton. He also didn't have much in the way of help except for his creations. Monarch is exactly the time for a few cryoas to back you up.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
You can do it without help by using missle attacks. Acid baton for Monarch and icy and spray crystals for the summoned creations usually works. Do not go into melee with Monarch since he will slow you every round. Essence shackles will usually keep Monarch slowed so he doesn't do too many attacks. Time is of the essence (bad pun) since he keeps summoning creations.
Apprentice
Member # 6654
Profile #6
I got him by forcing him into a corner with a hasted Glaak stabbing him twice every round. He got stunned enough that he couldn't do much. Then I used soldiers from the shaper camp to take out his creations, and deal extra damage to Monarch when it was safe to do so.

Even so, that fight was hard as hell. Went through a truckload of essence pods.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
I used submission batons in conjunction with the control rod.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3797
Profile #8
i spent half my essence on a drayk and then blasted him to smitherines while his creations and the drayk bit him. this is as an infiltrator

--------------------
23(2+3=5)
King Kong died for our sins
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Wanderer:

I'm a rebel with stakovite leanings
I can never remember...are those the rebels that hang from the top of the cave or the ones that stand on the bottom of the cave?

Pardon my necromancy, but I was unable to resist the compulsion.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
Bad Synergy. Show some self control. Save it for General.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #11
I just killed him. He escaped during the fight, although he got cornered. I mostly attacked from distance with batons. His creations couldn't do a lot, and still I ignored them because as he dies, the creations disappear.
I didn't use any kind of mental magic.
My drayk did a lot of damage.
From the rebel camp I only got 1 technician for this fight and then a baton-carrier + soldier combo (mere cannon fodder).

I still think that Shaftoe was way tougher than Eliza and Monarch :(

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Apprentice
Member # 7992
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

There is a spare control baton hidden in a cabinet in Monarch's quarters.
I couldnt find the baton, i checked his house in north (town-name-i-cannot-remember) and i just got a message like "there are a few broken liengths of wood

this was after i helped the guy in the tunels below the south of the town

--------------------
Slate Beauty
I Look Down From
Castle of the Winds
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
The control baton isn't in his house. He has newer quarters underneath North Grosch (sp?). Take the mechanic serviles to disarm the traps so you can get to the center of the zone without meeting Monarch and then go to the north (or northwest, Dikiyoba forgets exactly what the zone looks like) and you'll find his quarters and the extra control baton.
Apprentice
Member # 7992
Profile #14
i'm working exclusivly pro-shaper

where can i get the serviles?

edit: forgot to mention long standing canister addiction

[ Saturday, March 03, 2007 11:41: Message edited by: Critical_Failure ]

--------------------
Slate Beauty
I Look Down From
Castle of the Winds
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
The servile technicians are in the rebel camp, but even Miranda tells you to go and try to get help from the rebels. There's no reputation requirement to get them, although there is a Leadership requirement.

Also, using a lot of canisters is going to come back and bite you if you're going for the Shaper ending.

[ Saturday, March 03, 2007 15:21: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 7992
Profile #16
managed to get monarch using plenty of speed spores, a drayk and an ur-glaahk. the techies were very useful, thanks.

i have always liked using canisters anyway, it gives me no problems that their abilities cannot handle, yet at least.

--------------------
Slate Beauty
I Look Down From
Castle of the Winds
Apprentice
Member # 8229
Profile #17
Well, you can still make use of the “baton knowledge” without sneaking inside.

When Monarch goes below 1/3 HPs (or like) the dialog window appears. You might want to smash his baton, since you wont be able to grab it afaik. Then… you know, he’s a troubled individual… give him a rest, simple as that. His creatures will start attack randomly, however, you will still get some love so be ready.

I have came to Monarch with 2 freshly created Wingbolts and one friend-for-life Cryoa (not gonna dissolve her until the end. My love, for sure. Maxed all her stats but endurance with essence, and she almost competes wingbolts for damage!)… Well, 2 hasted Wingbolts >>> 10 Monarchs. Of 100, for that matter.

If you or your creatures can do REAL fast job on Monarch (I’ve tried magic-Infi and pure shaping lifecrafter, both setups have enough in’em) his creatures but Glaahks are to be ignored. Soaked hard, they don’t give EXP anyways, and as soon as Suicia Island Munchkin – I advocate the point of view that Monarch is PC from G1 – goes down, his creatures disappear.

P.S. Offtopic question. After I finish the game as a lifecrafter, whoever answers it the reasonable way will get my beloved pet Cryoa. Her name is Ivy, her level is 37 (will be more), and she’s unusually hot for an ice creature.
Why Speed spell is made so incredibly off-balance????

--------------------
"At ease, guys, it's just some nonsence green wingbolt..."
- Guardian Kantor, Shaper infiltrator forces, last words.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #18
I actually found the fight with Monarch pathetically easy. After applying the perma-blessings, I simply blessed, shielded, hasted, and spine shielded my creations (which, at the time, consisted of a Wingbolt, a Battle Beta, a Vlish, and a Rebel Baton Wielder) and poured as much fire on him as quickly as possible. Naturally, he fled, so I had my creations continue pursuing him (firing off a shot every turn) while my Lifecrafter ran around the side route (low mechanics). I had already broken his baton by the time my Lifecrafter arrived at the final chamber (my creations were still pounding him), and he was gone in the next two rounds.

And this was on Torment.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Acidic Helixbolt:

Why Speed spell is made so incredibly off-balance????
The speed spell is a hold over from the old combat system. When the AP needed for an attack was changed to allow for a minimum of 1AP from 5AP the speed spells became off-balanced. All of a sudden you could race across the zone and attack. Jeff first found out during beta testing when we raced across the Fens and could avoid a long fight with the new creations that kept streaming in to the zone. It will probably get weaken in the next game.