Anyone find Avernum 4 not as good as 1-3?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Anyone find Avernum 4 not as good as 1-3?
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #0
The first 3 Avernums were incredibly addicting to me.. for some reason I find 4 to be kinda boring... I am about 2/3 through but I've found it incredibly repetitive... Who knows.. maybe my tastes have changed...

Anyone agree/disagree?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
As I recall, the general impression after A4 was released was it had pretty good hacking and not much else (except a few nifty things here and there, like the shades). To the best of my knowledge, the general impression of A5 is that it is a more complete game. So finish A4, enjoy the combat, and then head straight on to A5, which you'll probably like better.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Avernum 4 had too much of a recycled plot from A3. The best addition was the Darkside Loyalists which become the major villians of A5. Jeff was mostly working on fixing the combat system which is better in A5 and he restores all those things that A4 lacks like elevations and boats.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #3
Je suis d'accord.

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Babel Fish: Yes Christ is the pacifist.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
Averforge takes away what is "Avernum" about Avernum. It also seems a bit small.

However, from what I have heard, A5 is supposed to be very good.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, but not sanity -Iffy
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Iffy= Infernal Flamming Muffin. The y is added to make a word.
lol teh stupd text spek is lik ubar dum lol
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #5
I thought that it had the simplified game mechanics of a Geneforge game without all the interest provided by creating and maintaining the creations. Thus I think it falls between two stools.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #6
I really think it had to do with the lack of a plot.. There really isn't much of a motivation... Bring item halfway across the world is pretty boring.

I do like the engine changes though.

[ Thursday, November 22, 2007 19:20: Message edited by: shadow9d9 ]
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #7
Avernum 4 was just lots of clicking. BOOOORRRRRIIIINGGGG.

--------------------
"When I was a child, my people talked while others prepared for war. They used reason while others used tanks, and they were destroyed for their trouble! I won't stand by and watch it happen again, I won't!"
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #8
All SpidWeb ga..no..almost all PC-based games requires a lot of clicking..

And as I recall the rumors..A4 somewhat saved SpidWeb Software.. :eek:

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #9
How did A4 save Spierweb and mayority think its worst than previous.

I personaly liked A4.

--------------------
You must show me respect becouse...never mind why but do respect me!
All hail me, your...something.
Don't contradict me or I'l...GUARDS!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #10
Rumors, my friend..rumors..

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

Rumors, my friend..rumors..
Not rumours. Jeff Vogel himself has said that if it wasn't for the fact that Avernum 4 sold so well, Spiderweb Software may not still be around. I can't find the thread he said it in now, but it was said on these boards.

Avernum 4 isn't as good as say, Avernum 2, in my opinion, but it does it's job very well. It was never about the great plot - it was all about kicking off the second trilogy. I don't think Avernum 1 had a great plot either. It was all about setting up the player in a new location, and starting the trilogy off.

And, now I feel dirty for writing a post longer than a line.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
A4 sold very, very well, but this is not terribly informative in itself. After A1-3 and the huge wait time and anticipation, Jeff could've remade KOWP in the GF engine, burned it to a CD, and called it A4, and it would've sold well.

The purpose of the A4 that he actually made was to get the new engine in place and have some good hacking. It accomplished both of those things. The over-arching plot was never the point. But then, the over-arching plot in A3 was kinda stupid, too, and A3 was a great game.

I don't think I'll ever have the urge to replay A4, but I did enjoy it as I played it the first time. So even if it fell off the mark of A1-3 a little, it's still well above most of the garbage out there.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
How did A4 save Spierweb and mayority think its worst than previous.
The majority is us members on Spidweb. We tend to view things with a more critical point of view.

Plotless RPGs are quite popular. Bored teenagers with too much free time I suppose.

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
It wasn't plotless, and it was a fine game. It just had a plot that people who had finished A2 and A3 could see coming a mile away. So a lot of the board regulars here were disappointed. The general public, to whom Rentar Ihrno was just a bad tenant, liked A4 fine.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #15
Azuma:
quote:

All SpidWeb ga..no..almost all PC-based games requires a lot of clicking..

Sure. But I included the word 'just'. JUST lots of clicking. Clicking without any of the enjoyment usually attached to computer games.

Avernum 4 took the worst elements from the previous Avernums and Geneforges, and merged them into one terrible product. And I don't care if it sold well. So did Revenge of the Sith and Titanic.

--------------------
"When I was a child, my people talked while others prepared for war. They used reason while others used tanks, and they were destroyed for their trouble! I won't stand by and watch it happen again, I won't!"
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #16
I've played G1-3 and A 1-3.. I'll be done with A4 soon... I also own G4 and Resurrection... are they better than A4? For those who have played A5(I think it is out?), is it any better?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #17
The only thing about A4 that bugged me is the ported Geneforge graphics..

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #18
Yes! I abhor the new engine. I love A1-A3, due partly to its ingenuous engine, and Geneforge style graphics just aren't my preference.

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #19
I've made my way to the chithrath next in the nw corner in the remote tunnels and I'm really really feeling the painful repetition... am I almost done?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Once you're out of the area around and under Silvar and Cotra you're done with chitrachs except for a few isolated encounters elsewhere. Yes, you're almost there!

—Alorael, who wonders if any A4 beta testers had the courage to report painful chitrach fights as bugs in the game. He certainly wishes he did.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6322
Profile #21
Beat it... Glad to be done.. guess the repetition just wore on me... more story is needed and less grinding!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by shadow9d9:

Beat it... Glad to be done.. guess the repetition just wore on me... more story is needed and less grinding!
A5 delivers on both.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #23
A5 has an incredibly engrossing story, I've pretty much been playing nonstop for the past week, eat, sleep a little, go to work, and A5. I 'm just compelled to complete that next quest, or find Gladwells next item. I have to say I find the Lark and Gladwell quest arc's to be enjoyable and challenging, plus they lend a lot to the back-story of this area of Avernum.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by macdude22:

A5 has an incredibly engrossing story, I've pretty much been playing nonstop for the past week, eat, sleep a little, go to work, and A5. I 'm just compelled to complete that next quest, or find Gladwells next item. I have to say I find the Lark and Gladwell quest arc's to be enjoyable and challenging, plus they lend a lot to the back-story of this area of Avernum.
Why must Jeff torture us Windows user so?

--------------------

Pages