Avernum 5, July Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5, July Update
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
Any chance that the pregenerated characters will be Empire types: archer, blademaster, mage, priest, war priest, and wizard? Or is it too late in the game making process.

Since we are starting as Empire rather than lousy Rebel worms, we would have somewhat different skill sets.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #26
"Any chance that the pregenerated characters will be Empire types: archer, blademaster, mage, priest, war priest, and wizard?"

Probably not. I am very happy with the archetypal setup for the default characters. It is so important to give the rpg neophyte player (and you wouldn't believe how many people who will be stumbling upon Avernum 5 have never tried an RPG) a party that will survive for a while with minimal training.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Rent-an-Ihrno:

Phew, I meant no offense. Geez. Is it a crime to enjoy having to figure things out?
I'm guessing the answer is yes.

--------------------
And I am so very tired, of doing the right thing...

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #28
I said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm really looking forward to A5. To put things in perspective, A4 was a good game with some room for improvement. I got a lot of mileage out of it, even though I sorely missed elevation in particular. So much was new and reworked with the new engine and graphics for A4. A lot was improved. It had room to grow, and Jeff is very good at being attentive to the praise and criciticisms of his fans. A5 sounds highly intriguing and promising, and I really am amped to explore it. Jeff is really on a roll, as I think G4 well indicates. A5 should be, well, fantastic. It's great to have a designer you respect who continually improves his craft.

I think it's important to remember than anyone thrives on appreciation, and there's a lot of whining that goes on here, and precious little appreciation by comparison, if you ask me. I don't know how Jeff endures it as well as he does. I am so glad there is one game designer who is accessible, tireless, responsive, and interactive with his fans. You actually have a good chance of helping shape or change the next game by being involved here.

As I am fond of stating, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I personally am ecstatic that elevations will be returned to the A5 engine. I am extremely grateful that requests like this are heard and accommodated. As is clear, much of what Jeff does is what it is possible and feasible at the present time. Complaining about graphics is pointless and unuseful, because we can trust Jeff will always employ the best he is able to afford and utilize as the tiny company of effectively three he heads. I personally am amazed how much he achieves and how consistently he produces new games.

I want to say, thank you Jeff for being a responsive, creative human being in the process, rather than a faceless, cold corporation who has little interest in the ideas and concerns of his fans. Thank you for making so many great games from which I have derived countless hours of pleasure. Thanks for sticking with it all this time, despite so many of the thankless factors and gruelling challenges.

May the games of Jeff continue to delight us for a long time to come.

Cheers.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #29
I don't mind the world being flat, I just want a special weapon to deal with all the damn bugs. And I don't want to find it at the end of the game either when it does me no good.

A returning razordisk might be nice too... Or hey, a bug slaying returning razordisk might be nice as well.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #30
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

"I think it's important to remember than anyone thrives on appreciation, and there's a lot of whining that goes on here, and precious little appreciation by comparison, if you ask me. I don't know how Jeff endures it as well as he does."

Developers have a very complicated relationship with their boards. In most large companies these days, professionals are emplyoed specifically to deal with boards and filter through useful feedback.

Otherwise, the developers need to expose themselves to negativity on a daily basis, which has a nasty way of getting into your head and causing harmful bouts of second-guessing about every little thing.

I welcome and frequently use constructive criticism. Adding elevations involved a considerable amount of work and new art, but I did it almost solely because the demand for it on these boards is so great. On the other hand, cheap shots, especially about graphics, are not helpful and agitate me.

But so far, the boards are more a plus than a minus, and I do enjoy sharing bits of information with the fans, so they remain.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #31
<---Appreciates elevation and "Averforge"-style graphics

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #32
I appreciate a new plot even with a returning villan since he got away last time. If it stays as fresh as it sounds it will be a welcome change after Avernum 4. Just removing the Vahnatai would have made it better since the engine was a big improvement.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #33
I just appreciate the series in its entirety. (BoA FTW!)

A4 was different. Fun in a somewhat different way from the previous Avernums, but it was still highly enjoyable. I'm really glad to see elevation returning, though.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

A returning razordisk might be nice too... Or hey, a bug slaying returning razordisk might be nice as well.
A boomerdisk..oh, geez..an anti-bug boomerdisk..

I do hope for future Avernum games..that they have weapon enchantment..you know..

"Aerosol Spray"
Enchanment: +50 more damage to insectoids..

I too share the hatred for insects..

--------------------
Is the truth only what we can see?
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #35
I think the thing I missed most with Avernum 4 was the loss of a sense of scale of Avernum. I played Exile 1-3 and the demo of Blades of Exile, and I played BoA and A4 (I never replayed E1-3 as A1-3, though playing A1 to see the new bit added about the Lost Bahssikava is something I've pondered).

While I did like the increased detail of the integrated world, the issue I had was that the sense of scale died out compared to previous games, where you really felt you were in a gigantic sprawling neverending maze. The descriptiveness of the earlier Exile games really made up for the lack of graphics for me. I think that if A4 had been in a subsection of Avernum (e.g. almost entirely set in the honeycomb, but at the same scale), it would have worked much better.

I think that seeing as A5 is set in new caves, this sounds like the issue of loss of scale of the existing world will not be a problem, which I am looking forward to. I just hope that it's not like ZKR in that it doesn't link anywhere to the known world ;)

With regards to super-weapons, I think that generally they ought to be optional but with much more complex sub-quests to get them. They were a bit easy to get in A4. More like the Black Halberd or original E1/A1 Demonslayer quest.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #36
I will buy A5 solely to meet cheeseball. He was more interesting than Solberg any way.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #37
quote:
I said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm really looking forward to A5. To put things in perspective, A4 was a good game with some room for improvement. I got a lot of mileage out of it, even though I sorely missed elevation in particular. So much was new and reworked with the new engine and graphics for A4. A lot was improved. It had room to grow, and Jeff is very good at being attentive to the praise and criciticisms of his fans. A5 sounds highly intriguing and promising, and I really am amped to explore it. Jeff is really on a roll, as I think G4 well indicates. A5 should be, well, fantastic. It's great to have a designer you respect who continually improves his craft.

I think it's important to remember than anyone thrives on appreciation, and there's a lot of whining that goes on here, and precious little appreciation by comparison, if you ask me. I don't know how Jeff endures it as well as he does. I am so glad there is one game designer who is accessible, tireless, responsive, and interactive with his fans. You actually have a good chance of helping shape or change the next game by being involved here.

As I am fond of stating, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I personally am ecstatic that elevations will be returned to the A5 engine. I am extremely grateful that requests like this are heard and accommodated. As is clear, much of what Jeff does is what it is possible and feasible at the present time. Complaining about graphics is pointless and unuseful, because we can trust Jeff will always employ the best he is able to afford and utilize as the tiny company of effectively three he heads. I personally am amazed how much he achieves and how consistently he produces new games.

I want to say, thank you Jeff for being a responsive, creative human being in the process, rather than a faceless, cold corporation who has little interest in the ideas and concerns of his fans. Thank you for making so many great games from which I have derived countless hours of pleasure. Thanks for sticking with it all this time, despite so many of the thankless factors and gruelling challenges.

May the games of Jeff continue to delight us for a long time to come.

Cheers.

-S-
Not my words...but I think the same thing.

Also, the return of cheeseball is interesting.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #38
"Also, the return of cheeseball is interesting."

It interests me that everyone assumes that Solberg's new familiar is Cheeseball. Cheeseball, sadly, expired. (Which is why it wasn't in Avernum 4.)

Solberg has a new familiar now, Cheeseball Two, who is more in line with his current mood. Then, of course, there are the others ...

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

Cheeseball, sadly, expired. (Which is why it wasn't in Avernum 4.)
NOOOOOOO!! :(

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #40
Farewell, Cheeseball. You shall always be remembered in the hearts of all who visit Avernum. R.I.P

I bet Cheeseball Two loves his name, though. "Solberg couldn't just name me after a previous familiar, he had to affix a number to my name too!"

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

"Also, the return of cheeseball is interesting."

It interests me that everyone assumes that Solberg's new familiar is Cheeseball. Cheeseball, sadly, expired. (Which is why it wasn't in Avernum 4.)

Solberg has a new familiar now, Cheeseball Two, who is more in line with his current mood. Then, of course, there are the others ...

- Jeff Vogel

This isn't going to be like The Simpsons episode with Snowballs I through V?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #42
C'mon, people, it's a bloody cat. Were people this upset when, say, Patrick or Micah died? Cheeseball was fine, but in the end he was a very minor NPC with smart alec comments that can be provided by any standard issue imp.

--------------------
"I've decided to start up a line of contraceptives: Inconceivables."
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #43
Of course you know, this means we WILL meet Cheeseball I. Probably in lich form.

And of course, X will be obsessed with summoning an anvil.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #44
Dikiyoba prefers to imagine Cheeseball having signed a twenty-year contract as Solberg's familiar that is now fulfilled, complete with a surprise left in Solberg's slipper and a mad dash for the door.
Apprentice
Member # 9725
Profile #45
i hope it will have the kind of battle there was in A3 when we were on the world map. there was lot of strategy in those battle.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #46
Will A5 keep the save slots? It might be a bit much to ask, but they annoy people. I think the easiest incarnation of the saving system is the N:R one, where they automatically direct themselves to an auto-made folder. Very easy and fast. I know that it is probably a trouble to script this, but it is just a little something I wanted back, along with a few others in a recent topic.

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!

The Mystic: "Vista is a rather funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #47
Is Cheeseball two related to Cheeseball?

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #48
I notice Jeff refers to Cheeseball as "it" and not "he" as he is referred to in the games. Perhaps Solberg had Cheeseball neutered. That would explain their animosity...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

C'mon, people, it's a bloody cat. Were people this upset when, say, Patrick or Micah died?
I was this upset when Erika died. :P

But meh. My only complaint is that Cheeseball Two is so horrendously cheesy (pun fully intended). It practically reeks unoriginality.

Solberg is one awesome wizard. He's like Rincewind, only actually magically competent. I would really expect him to give his familiars better names.

--------------------
The Noble and Most Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS [This Topic / Forum] • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'

Pages