Avernum 5, July Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5, July Update
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
Phew. The world is over half done. I plan to start the beta-testing very soon. It is still looking possible for my desired November release.

The Archmage Solberg (and familiar) are in the game. Solberg has a much larger role this time around (though I was already planning this when I put Solberg into Avernum 4), and writing him was very time-consuming and tiring.

Though not near as bad as writing Anama. Doing an Anama town is basically doing two towns at once (in the faith and outside the faith versions).

I am currently working on an area that contains lots of chitrachs. I am handling this monster much differently than in Avernum 4. The basic model doesn't poison. They are in fewer sections. And I wanted to bring in a Starship Troopers feel to them. If you fight one, you're fighting a lot more, probably coming through the walls. Area-effect damage is good.

Though, as in Avernum 4 (and, for that matter, 2 and 3), most of the chitrach stuff is completely optional.

That's it for now. Back to the bugs.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Slarty will just love the how many chitrachs were there in each area.

Glad to hear that the game is progressing. The Anama section will make for interesting replayability.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I am happy about the "They are in fewer sections" bit. Chitrachs are good in moderation.

I am so there for beta testing if you have need. I'm excited about this game.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8410
Profile #3
Though Starship Troopers is a hilariously crappy movie I'm looking forward to chopping/zapping/shooting down legions of chitrach. :D
NICE!

Oh, how I envy mac users...
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #4
I still don't like the geneforge like graphics :(

--------------------
Bandit: Hey Bob, why aren't we running after them?

Archer Bob: Cuz if dose n00bz run dey got no gud ****.

Bandit:oh

Bob: And that isn't a cave, its a dragon...
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

The Archmage Solberg (and familiar) are in the game.
Cheeseball's back? He always was my favorite character.

I also enjoyed the chitrach area in A4. Mainly because I merely blasted them out of the way without so much as a second thought, yet still gained enough experience to make the next area absolutely easy.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I also enjoyed the 234,423 chitrach areas in A4.
FYT.

In all seriousness, chitrachs are good in moderation. A4 is continuing to sound good. I wonder what Cheeseball was doing during A4?

[ Saturday, July 28, 2007 13:30: Message edited by: Yama ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Deathmatch Abandoner:

A4 is continuing to sound good.
LYT.

:rolleyes:

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

A4 is continuing to sound good.
I think we're on A5 now, Slarty. I assume that was what Salmon was attempting to communicate, but I have no idea what LYT means. Liked your typo?

[ Saturday, July 28, 2007 15:36: Message edited by: Actaeon ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

I wonder what Cheeseball was doing during A4?
Trying to find a place without demons. Of course with all those demons under Patrick's Tower he was probably grumbling in a corner.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
I'd bet Cheeseball was clinging to the ceiling.

As per usual, can't wait.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #11
I'm not afraid to admit I rather liked Starship Troopers. Sci-Fi with style and a sense of humor. Too much sci-fi is so hard-core serious about itself.

I'm excited to see A5. I can't believe it's already nearing the beta phase. I must be getting old or having too much fun...time is going by fast.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #12
A4 already had a Starship Troopers feel with all the damnable bugs.

I can live with the bugs, but ONLY if you make a special bug slaying spear or blade or bow or something.

Avernum has Smite, Wyrmslayer, Ghoulbane, all these weapons for killing certain known foes of Avernum, we NEED Bugsbane.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

Avernum has Smite, Wyrmslayer, Ghoulbane, all these weapons for killing certain known foes of Avernum, we NEED Bugsbane.
Potion of Raid that can be hurled at chitrachs. Similar to the frost grenade in Lazarus' BoA scenario Frostbite. Makes an aerosol hissing noise.
Apprentice
Member # 373
Profile Homepage #14
Starship troopers was one of the best movies ever made, aside from The Fifth element lol, I guess I go for corney movies, A5 sound awesome already, I'm ready to get back to the surface (hopefully cause the anama was only on the surface in a3). I miss the slimes.

--------------------
Woot my Number is 373, how many poeple can say that!!

Give me some credit I made this site 9 years ago, I was 12. Just highlight the words to read them.

www.maxpages.com/exile3
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Starship Troopers is a lot less funny if you've read the book.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #16
Of everything I've read about A5 so far, I think I might be able to forgive Jeff the new graphics and buy it.
Though I don't find a Bugslayer-kinda weapon necessary, I'm looking forward to not stumbling over chitrachs every five steps or so. The only thing I found worse than them were the demons in A1-2 (haven't really played A4), who seemed to really enjoy standing about a screen away from each other, so you had to keep starting and ending combat mode a thousand times, being shot at from everywhere by foes you couldn't see.
That sucked. And yes, that was meant to suggest: please don't let them do it in A5.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Warrior
Member # 497
Profile #17
I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to incorporate some kind of new or experimental anti-chitrach weapon.

There'd be nothing like showing some good-old human (and possibly slith--Pathass did make a contribution in 3) ingenuity and giving those insectoid sons-of-queens some magical whuffor.

As was said, the humans have special anti-demon, anti-giant, anti-undead (a couple of those, I think), anti-lizard, and anti-Crystal Soul weapons, not to mention the super-powerful but non-specific jobs like the Jade and Black Halberds. The sliths have an anti-human spear, which, one must admit, is a smart strategic choice. The Vahnatai have . . . what? Some magic rocks and a sword that drips poison? So what! The humans can do that without magic (or could, in Exile). No wonder the Vahnatai can't control the chitrach population; they are too wedded to their traditional style of wielding bent swords and talking rocks to come up with any kind of original thought regarding the matter.

Making Bugsbane (nice name, by the way) would provide an interesting opportunity for some clever thievery, or some kind of quest--new and powerful magic must be tested, after all--and would be a demonstration of Avernum's power, that it could make magical weapons which rival the legendary artifacts of old.

I'd be all for it, plot- and gameplay-wise.

--------------------
Evil comes in many forms. I am but one of them.
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #18
Bugsbane - double damage vs Bugs Bunny :D
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #19
Has there been any announcement concerning the fighting/thinking-balance in A5 so far? I would be so disappointed if A5 would drift even more to the hacking&slashing-direction. What happened to riddles, mysteries and the general necessity of having a brain?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Rent-an-Ihrno:

What happened to riddles, mysteries and the general necessity of having a brain?
Perhaps your model just went obsolete. :P

But seriously, I found a lot of the A4 fights to be big challenges, strategy-wise. Heck, the pylons were an excellent example of a 'fight' where you're better off using your brain to completely avoid the 'fight'.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #21
Avernum 5 will have a wide variety of tactical situations and I will do my best to make sure that you have to think to develop different strategies to deal with them. That is the thinking part. If you don't enjoy that, you should probably find a different game's forums. I hear Fallout 3 is in development. It might be good.

I will not be putting riddles in any of my future games. I have come to hate riddles in rpgs for a variety of good reasons.

As for graphics, I'm sorry that some people who don't like them. But I have been saying that for the 13 years I've been making these games. We're a small company with a low budget, and I come up with the best graphics I can given the limitations.

I think Avernum 4 looks nice. Avernum 5 will have the same style of graphics. If this is a deal-breaker, perhaps there might be another forum somewhere that is more to your liking.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #22
That's a shame. I always liked the riddles in your previous games. They added a more intellectual aspect to the hack&slash action. Some of them were extremely clever, in my opinion, and I reminisce fondly about those in Exile 3.

I personally think Spiderweb's graphics have come a long, long way from back in the Escape from the Pit days. With the inclusion of area of effect spells, the ability to cast buffs on NPCs, weather effects, scripts, missile weapons actually worth having, and everything else, tiny gripes about graphics seem picayune and trivial to me.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #23
The Tests too take some strategy..especially the one where you get hit silly and try to survive, and the last part..

--------------------
Is the truth only what we can see?
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #24
Phew, I meant no offense. Geez. Is it a crime to enjoy having to figure things out?

--------------------

Pages