Avernum 5, June Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5, June Update
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
We finally have set up the Avernum 5 page here:

http://www.avernum.com/avernum5/index.html

Since many of the neat new graphics aren't done (we have a pretty cool selection of new creatures coming up), these shots mostly have older stuff. This will, of course, change as we get closer to release.

The game world is about 40% done. I've been putting a lot of effort into having lots of funky scripted encounters, so it's been exhausting, but I've very happy with how it's coming together. Balancing it will be a bear, though.

Still shooting for the Mac version being out just before Thanksgiving. I'll have to put in some weekends, but having a product out for Black Friday is worth it.

Now back to the windows Nethergate beta reports. Gah. Will be glad when that's done.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #1
Well, I'll repost here what I've written in the other thread: I'm thrilled. 40% already? Way to go.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Thanks for making the effort. Can't wait to see the new stuff so we have something to think about instead of just hacking our way through.

Battle discipline looks interesting since now fighters have their own version of spells to increase combat abilities. I'm wondering what fatigue means. I see you kept some Avernum 4 graphics including the Geneforge guardian graphic.

[ Thursday, June 28, 2007 00:16: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
I'm intrigued. The assasin Vahkohs, huh? Is he a relative of that vampire, what was he called? Vahkos, no?

Anyway, I'm very pleased to finally hear something about it. I have been checking and rechecking the news page of SpiderWeb lately again and again over the past few weeks. Thanks for putting such effort.

EDIT: You know, that screenshot, down left, reminds me alot of the intro screen of Avernum 3. I like it.

[ Thursday, June 28, 2007 01:15: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #4
Preparing a 'Well-Aimed Blow' looks like a very interesting battle discipline. If it takes a whole round to do this, it might be way too expensive, but if it takes a few AP, that could present some nice tactical choices. It would be very nice indeed if the battle disciplines ended up giving fighter types something more like the casters' spell repertoires, instead of the very limited choice of whom to clobber.

I also like the sound of the plot. Playing Empire troops in Avernum offers a lot of fresh scope, and hunting an assassin who is actively hunting back sounds as though it should be both fun and believable. What I mean is that an assassin who has only reached Avernum somewhat ahead of the party would realistically mount exactly the sort of series of gradually more dangerous ambushes and attacks that make a good RPG plot.

If we were chasing a rogue mage or warrior, it would be hard to understand why they didn't immediately attack us directly, and squash us. But from an assassin you can expect indirect attacks, prepared over some time; and even a very dangerous assassin might realistically take quite some time to mount a deadly attack, in an unfamiliar environment. Meanwhile they could have a good reason to mount the necessary series of weaker attacks, just to win time to mount better attacks.

So I can imagine this being a plot that we can really take seriously. Cool. The man in black fled across Avernum, and the gunslingers followed. Bring it on!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Looks neat!

Uh... that's about all I have to say at the moment.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #6
Vahkohs? Like, killing him in Exile/Avernum 3 and DwtD wasn't enough?

Meh. Third time's the charm.

--------------------
Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
- Steven Wright
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
I have to admit, after all the talk about not bringing back Rentar-Ihrno, I really didn't expect another twice-recycled villain. Meh. Otherwise it sounds cool. Battle disciplines sound like the biggest change in the Avernum skill system yet -- could be quite neat.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #8
Of all the days to have a server problem, my server just had to choose today. It refuses to load several pages, including Spiderweb. So I can't see it. :(

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #9
The game engine of course appears to be largely similar, although I noticed some indication of a fatigue rating on your characters. I am sure there will be neat bells and whistles.

The real thrill of course will likely be the storyline. Here is what Jeff gave us:

quote:
The surface world is ruled by the Empire. Its power is absolute. Its control is unchallenged. And, as a soldier of the Empire, you have a good, comfortable life ahead of you. But then a rebel named Vahkohs tried to assassinate the Empress, and everything went wrong for you.

The villain fled somewhere into Avernum, an underworld nation of eccentrics, misfits, and barely civilized monsters, most of whom hate the Empire. And that is where you are going. You must find Vahkohs, while dealing with spies, betrayal, and assassins at every turn.

The enemy is waiting for you. You will only survive his attention with the help of these strange cave dwellers. If, of course, they don’t kill you first.

Good luck getting things working (or waiting for them to work).

--------------------
You are asleep.
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
So it goes.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #10
Vahkohs is a typo, and a pretty dumb one. I blame lack of sleep. I'll get it changed to the correct name asap.

Edit: Fixed. And, if you have ever wondered how I can keep like a dozen games straight in my head, there's your answer. I can't. :-)

- Jeff Vogel

[ Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:32: Message edited by: Spidweb ]

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
Ah, makes sense now (though the screenshots page still lists Vahkohs as the villain ;) ).

It'll be interesting to see how Dorikas and his lackeys fight in this one. Presumably, having all of his forts sacked in Avernum 4 would have a bad effect on his power base. I remember hearing something about A5 being set in a new section of the caves; is this still the case?

--------------------
The other day I was arrested for scalping low numbers at the deli.
- Steven Wright
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
I look forward to a legion of Vahkohs-related jokes in betatesting and early release.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #13
"Presumably, having all of his forts sacked in Avernum 4 would have a bad effect on his power base."

The Darkside Loyalists are a small but intense group, and they have a natural and growing constituency: the old guard of the Empire who are infuriated by the tolerance (they say weakness) shown by Empress Prazac at the Avernum 3 and beyond.

After the incredibly provocative act of trying to kill Empress Prazac, Dorikas has had to flee to a remote and savage area, where he has had time to prepare for those who would hunt him. Even though he is not about to take over or instantly destroy the world or whatever, I think that you will find him an adequate foe. :-)

Unless, of course, you decide to join him.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #14
Join him? As in killing the Emperess?
She is a good one, so I will kill her on my second playthrough.

I'm am glad, though, that I hunted him in Avernum 4. This way, I know his name and some about him.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

I heard a man sing "The Muffin Man" one day. He got to see the light.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
Ah, Dorikas. We kinda figured he'd be the focus of A5. That's good news, I think.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
Wasn't Dorikas killed in A4?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #17
No, he fled when you got close to killing him. That said, I hope I have more luck this time around then I did in the A4; I couldn't beat him in A4.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

The game world is about 40% done.

Now back to the windows Nethergate beta reports.

Two pieces of good news in one post! A5 sounds really good, I look forward to it.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
Ah, good... I was a little concerned when I read the posts about Vahkhos coming back, but couldn't find the corresponding text on the actual page.

Can't wait for the release.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

After the incredibly provocative act of trying to kill Empress Prazac, Dorikas has had to flee to a remote and savage area, where he has had time to prepare for those who would hunt him. Even though he is not about to take over or instantly destroy the world or whatever, I think that you will find him an adequate foe. :-)

Unless, of course, you decide to join him.

- Jeff Vogel

Ah, if ET evers comes back from being banned, I can see him going on for pages about taking over the Darkside Loyalists and leading them to victory.

This will be a change for Avernum/Exile series in getting to choose which side you want to be on in the end. I look forward to being able to fight a foe that isn't scripted as unkillable.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #21
This update sounds great, and the screenshots reveal enough intriguing, new features to keep me drooling for more.

And while I am sometimes disappointed that Avernum and Geneforge share very similar graphics, I still love that the two series can co-evolve, allowing each new game to be a spectacular mixture of everything that came before it -- like the quick spell and item slots.

[ Thursday, June 28, 2007 21:45: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
Since I didn't play Avernum 4 to the end, only a small portion of the demo, I don't know who this Dorikas guy is. However, I'm rather pleased it's not a vampire, as I still hate undead.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #23
Gosh..I was waiting for an A5 update..

Battle Disciplines? Like "Warrior" skills?
It's good..just hopin' that there would be no
"Revenge" type skill..you know..the "Deal damage equal to lost HP"..

It'd be cool to have more advance counter attacks..not just the normal "Riposte"..

Quick Question: Is there an unscripted special encounter? Just curious..=)

[ Friday, June 29, 2007 07:14: Message edited by: Haakai-Tender Valcrist ]

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..

-----------------------------------

A warrior takes sword in hand,
clasping a gem to his heart.

Engraving vanishing memories
into the sword,

He places finally honed skills
into the stone.

Spoken from the sword,
handed down from the stone...

Now the story can be told...
The Zodiac Brave Story..
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #24
And now we know why Dorikas was unkillable in A4.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt

Pages