Jeff, please respond - Magic and Avernum 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Jeff, please respond - Magic and Avernum 5
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Grim Twisted:

Double post. Be careful, there.
There's two ironic things going on here. But I'm only going to point out one.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #26
Bump, Jeff are you there?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
Probably not, considering how often he reads these forums. Try email instead.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #28
The spell system for Avernum 5 will be pretty much the same.

First off, I think that 40 spells is a pretty good number. It would be easy to pad it out with 50 (or 500) more junk spells, but it wouldn't add anything to the game except confusion.

Balancing spells is difficult. My goal is to have a good variety of spells that actually have uses some point in the game. Each individual spell is a delicate balancing act between making it useless on one end and too powerful on the other. I can't do that right with too many spells.

And, once again, honestly, 40 is quite a few.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #29
You really should try Email instead, once I even got an answer from him!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
Jeff has always responded to emails, but I find the posts preceding and following Jeff's highly ironic. The second especially.

—Alorael, who supposes the game would be even easier if all the damage types and statuses could be easily caused by the party. Not being able to completely cripple your enemies is a balance concern.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #31
:( *sigh* :( I figured those were the most likely reasons, but it was worth asking.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #32
Well we are still a quite lucky gaming community, I mean, in what other companies the game designer ask the player for sugestions so directly?? I don't see Bill Gates mailing me for asking how I want AOE4 to be!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Dark Mage:

I don't see Bill Gates mailing me for asking how I want AOE4 to be!
You mean he doesn't? Man, you must have done something to make him mad.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Divine Error:

Jeff has always responded to emails, but I find the posts preceding and following Jeff's highly ironic. The second especially.
Well, the second post was made within a minute of Jeff's, so the person didn't know that Jeff had posted yet.

I personally would like to see just a few more spells. (60)

When you think of 40, sure that's plenty, but you have to divide it evenly between mages and priests.

What I propose is either make another class of spellcasting, or seperate spellcasting into individual groups.

Think about it, if a priest can summon a host of shades, why couldn't that priest summon a warg? In reverse, if a mage can summon several demons, why can't he summon a shade?

You could branch spellcasting into four groups: Status, Summoning, Damage, and Healing. Status spells would have haste, slow, bless, etc. Summoning would have summon beast, summon shade, etc. Damage spells, healing spells, so fourth.

Thinking in terms of customization, that let's you choose what you want your mage to be specialized in. I have often found it difficult to get a mage up to the required levels for spells because of the cost of raising mage levels, and this could provide an easier way to reach the particular spells I want to cast.

Also, think about it in relation to weaponry. If you choose to boost your melee weapon skills, it won't help you hit with a spear or a bow. If you improve your summoning like that, it wouldn't help you to increase your healing power.

Also, since Avernum is becoming more like Geneforge, there could be an expensive Magic Craft skill that costs about 14-16 skill points, and boosts all four aspects.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #35
Try Nethergate if you want that type of spell system. It has war, healing, craft, and spirit spells. You need to have certain levels in the first two circles to get levels in the next two, You'll find that you can get by with war and healing spells with scrolls for the others.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #36
By Gale:
quote:
Also, since Avernum is becoming more like Geneforge, there could be an expensive Magic Craft skill that costs about 14-16 skill points, and boosts all four aspects.
Well, there's already Spell Craft and Magery...

--------------------
Y'know, I've destroyed entire towns, and the most I got from the surviving families were a few snarky comments. You, sir, have a serious problem with overreaction.
- Xykon (OotS #112)
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #37
quote:

Well we are still a quite lucky gaming community, I mean, in what other companies the game designer ask the player for suggestions so directly?? I don't see Bill Gates mailing me for asking how I want AOE4 to be!
You have a good point, but Bill Gates has nothing to do with AoE development. That series has always been made by Ensemble Studios and merely produced by Microsoft. This is much like what Chromite Software and Dragonlore did with Spiderweb, and what Spiderweb did with Fantasoft.

[ Tuesday, February 27, 2007 20:54: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

quote:

Well we are still a quite lucky gaming community, I mean, in what other companies the game designer ask the player for suggestions so directly?? I don't see Bill Gates mailing me for asking how I want AOE4 to be!
You have a good point, but Bill Gates has nothing to do with AoE development. That series has always been made by Ensemble Studios and merely produced by Microsoft. This is much like what Chromite Software and Dragonlore did with Spiderweb, and what Spiderweb did with Fantasoft.

Wait, what did Spiderweb do with Fantasoft? I really miss Realmz. Really bad. So bad I can taste it's sweet juicy nectar.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
Exile 1 and Exile 2 were made by Spiderweb but distributed by Fantasoft. The exact arrangement is unknown. The two companies also have some shared graphics, but that could be either a joint purchase or non-exclusive rights to graphics they got separately.

—Alorael, who also wouldn't put it past Realmz to appropriate graphics underhandedly. While Fantasoft was (and maybe even is) apparently all legal and legitimate, its proofreading and programming raises so many questions that a few graphics accidents wouldn't be terribly surprising.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by V. V. W. W.:

Exile 1 and Exile 2 were made by Spiderweb but distributed by Fantasoft. The exact arrangement is unknown. The two companies also have some shared graphics, but that could be either a joint purchase or non-exclusive rights to graphics they got separately.

—Alorael, who also wouldn't put it past Realmz to appropriate graphics underhandedly. While Fantasoft was (and maybe even is) apparently all legal and legitimate, its proofreading and programming raises so many questions that a few graphics accidents wouldn't be terribly surprising.

Off topick but maybe you know, Fantasoft still seems to operate a web store selling Realmz but it hasn't been updated in years I dont think. It states that Micro Enterprises is running it for Fantasoft LLC. Does Tim Philips(that was his name right?) still get any money from that(I don't suspect many purchase it anymore). I'd prolly pay 5 or 10 bucks for an OS X port of it I have such fond memories.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #41
There's apparently been an effort to Carbonize Realmz, but it looks dead to me.

—Alorael, who only misses Realmz in his more unstable moments. That's the only time he can feel nostalgia for such an unstable and unbalanced game.

[ Sunday, April 08, 2007 17:39: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #42
For what its worth, control of Exile and Exile 2 transferred back to us in the previous century. Realmz is allowed to use some Exile graphics (and, in fact, both games draw from the same public domain graphics library).

The lack of a Carbonized Realmz continues to dumbfound me. Carbonizing a game is not hard. With all the work that went into Realmz, I'm surprised they're just letting it die. But I haven't spoken to Tim Phillips in years and years, so I have no idea what personal or legal issues are involved.

- Jeff Vogel

[ Wednesday, February 28, 2007 13:19: Message edited by: Spidweb ]

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

The lack of a Carbonized Realmz continues to dumbfound me.
Quickfire Casts: Restore Mind
Jeff restores mind :P

--------------------
That's good stuff! (Hic.)
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #44
I don't know exactly what's going on with Realmz, but I do know that the person to ask is not Tim anymore, it's now Skip Meier, who seems to have taken over its day-to-day admistration and communication duties.

(I'll save Thuryl the trouble of mentioning that it all went downhill after version 4 anyway, which it did.)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 8176
Profile #45
A very usefull spell should be one that let you place 4 or 5 forcecages at the same time.It will be usefull a lot.

--------------------
The revenge is only a wild way of justice.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #46
It would be very similar to mass daze.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
Daze lets you hit your enemies while they can't hit you. Forcecage just puts a fight on hold. There are very few circumstances in which it's useful. Most of them involve a very pesky ranged attacker or spellcaster you can't quite get to until you hack through the meat shields. How often does that come up?

—Alorael, who is quite happy living without Forcecage. It's very nasty when used on your party and it's not worth using yourself.
Warrior
Member # 8176
Profile #48
That's right,but some monsters are inmune to daze and the forcecage works even in the strongest enemy.

--------------------
The revenge is only a wild way of justice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by Blake81:

That's right,but some monsters are inmune to daze and the forcecage works even in the strongest enemy.
It worked on teh IHRNO?!?!?![/OMG!!!!]

Jeff took it out for A4. That was a good move. Jeff put in daze for A4. That was also a good move.

[ Sunday, March 04, 2007 09:08: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????

Pages