Jeff, please respond - Magic and Avernum 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Jeff, please respond - Magic and Avernum 5
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #0
I really, really like having a wide variety of spells, and think it adds a lot to the game.

So, if I may ask, what did happen to the variety of spells from Exile 3 and BoE? Does adding more spells cause a prohibitively large amount of difficulty in balancing the game? Were there complaints it was too complex and fewer spells is an attempt to simplify? Does programming spells take a really long time? Why did we go from 124 spells to 40?

Personally, I hope to see again the spells to create my own magical barriers, to scry monsters, to identify my own items, to summon demons, etc., etc., etc.

Given the precedent, my hopes aren't terribly high, but if we aren't going to have more spells, can we at least know why?

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 08:10: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Some spells like identify are no longer needed. I do miss a few Exile spells and want there return. I seems that in order to reduce the amount of graphics for the spell page most of them are gone. In order to get a new spell something has to be removed.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Partly it's balance (let's face it, plenty of Exile series spells were basically useless); partly it's probably lack of ability to think up new and different spells that are actually useful and do something besides "do damage of type X" or "inflict status effect Y".

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #3
I agree with the archmage. Look at my name for cryin out loud! It may be hard to think of new spells, but we can help. Some really cool ideas have come round, like shockwave or mind duel or spray fields. But we really need something unique, like thunder storm, which strikes randomly at the ground around enemies. Or, there could be something like Face of fear, where when an enemy tries to hit you, they get the crap scared out of them :P

--------------------
That's good stuff! (Hic.)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #4
I think the main reason the number of spells reduced so dramatically was the introduction in A1 of spell levels at 1, 2, 3. With the need to make each level of a spell different there were in effect 120 spells rather than 40. Remember, many of the spells in Exile series were of the form slow, slow group, slow and curse, slow and curse group, etc. In A1-3 this is now handled by 1/3-1/2 as many spells.

Of course Avernum 4 has changed that, with its Geneforge-style spells system (but smaller number of spell circles) where levels don't mean much. In A4, there could in fact be more spells as a lot of effects aren't available to the party at all, or are only available through potions.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
It's worth pointing out that A4 has close to the same number of spells as Nethergate -- just a few less -- but people have great things to say about the Nethergate spell system. Why is that? The spell lists actually compare surprisingly closely. Both games have at least 6 regular summoning spells, similar sets of healing and curing spells. A4 has more damage spells (including area of effect spells) but it doesn't have Hero of Old or Simulacrum.

I'll suggest two reasons Nethergate compares more favorably. First, the spells are in flavor; Wind Warriors, Coils of the Serpent, Hero of Old, Sever Seal, these are spells that tie in to the atmosphere and feel like they belong. Second, Nethergate is a significantly smaller game than A4, so the spells don't get old as fast. Avernum has more ground to slog through, and more hacking and slashing.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
Nethergate has fewer spells that you need to learn in order to win the game. I ran an all druid Roman party and found that you just need war and healing circle spells plus piercing sight (mapping spell) and break barrier (spell or item).

Avernum and Geneforge made it necessary to have different damage type spells to get around monster resistances. Some magic resistant monsters like Rakshasha could only be killed by blessing and weapon damage (or priest wound spell in A2).

You could combine the summoning spells into call beast/summon aid as level 3 and summon shade/divine host for level 3 where the level 3 version isn't available until near the end. Then mage animate undead with arcane summoning for level 3. This would free up at least a slot for each spellcaster for a new spell.

Plenty of room to bring back the much abused divine warrior and a new arcane mage spell.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 07:02: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Randomizer:

quote:
Some magic resistant monsters like Rakshasha could only be killed by blessing and weapon damage (or priest wound spell in A2).
A2 doesn't have the wound spell. But cloud of blades handles rakshasi.

Dikiyoba.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
I seems that in order to reduce the amount of graphics for the spell page most of them are gone. In order to get a new spell something has to be removed.
This is ridiculous. Unless Jeff actually received a large number complaints saying, "seeing more than 20 buttons totally confuses me, so I'm not going to buy your games anymore." There is no real reason there can't be more. The number of spell icons is totally arbitrary and likely stems from nothing more than Jeff liking the number 20 or something similar.

If having those little button graphics actually is some sort of barrier, I will happily volunteer a couple hours of my time to make them myself.

quote:
Partly it's balance (let's face it, plenty of Exile series spells were basically useless); partly it's probably lack of ability to think up new and different spells that are actually useful and do something besides "do damage of type X" or "inflict status effect Y".
The only spell in E3/BoE I found totally useless was "Symbiosis". True I didn't use "Flame arrows" or "Goo" very often after I'd gained a few levels and could use better spells, but I did use them, and did like having them. Besides the fact that switching to mostly using higher level spells once you have them is still true of A4.

My question is, why not? There already are summoning spells and, in Avernums past, they sometimes summon demons. Why not have a spell that specifically summons demons? If the spell is of a similar level to the summoning spells that can already summon demons, how is game balance affected in any way?

And why not have the spells that "do damage type X" and "inflict status effect Y"? We consistently have the spell "Firebolt". If we add the spell "Icebolt" that is of a similar level and causes a similar amount of damage simply of a different type, what has changed besides adding delightful variety? Does this require more than palette-swapping the spell effect graphics from red/yellow to white/blue and copy/pasting the code with "firedmg" switched to "icedmg"?

If we have separate spells for less ice damage, but hits multiple targets, and more ice damage, but hits one target, does that drastically alter game dynamics?

We have a spell for acid. If we have one for poison as well, what's the difference? If we can slow our foes, why not web them?

Even if every single spell is not used with great frequency throughout the entire game with every playing style, it's already that way, so why not have the variety?

quote:
I think the main reason the number of spells reduced so dramatically was the introduction in A1 of spell levels at 1, 2, 3. With the need to make each level of a spell different there were in effect 120 spells rather than 40.
This is not entirely true and has gotten progressively less true as the Avernums have gone on. Only a handful of spells actually had their effect change significantly from level to level. Most spells simply increased in damage amount and/or number of targets in a way totally indistinguishable from the increase that already occurs by gaining PC levels and increasing your magic-related skills. At best, you could argue that there are maybe 50-55 spells rather than 40.

There are any number of spells Jeff could add, taken from games he's already produced, that would not significantly affect gameplay in any way beyond adding variety, utility, and enjoyment to the use of magic in the game. So the question still remains, why not have more spells?

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

My question is, why not? There already are summoning spells and, in Avernums past, they sometimes summon demons. Why not have a spell that specifically summons demons?
This one actually has an answer: because Jeff has apparently received numerous complaints over the years about the demon summoning spells in Exile, from concerned parents, I guess. Jeff concluded that demon summoning was not really an integral part of the game, and he might as well get rid of it.

quote:
Does this require more than palette-swapping the spell effect graphics from red/yellow to white/blue and copy/pasting the code with "firedmg" switched to "icedmg"?
Maybe not, but maybe it does. I do think special effects are (rightly or not) probably one of the main reasons we have so few spells. In Exile, a huge chunk of the spells involved no graphics effects whatsoever. I would guess that, just as with the PC sprites, it takes more work to add spell graphics than we think.

Personally, I'd rather see 120 spells with 40 identical (not even palette swapped) graphics than 40 spells with 40 graphics. But I guess not everyone feels that way.

quote:
There are any number of spells Jeff could add, taken from games he's already produced, that would not significantly affect gameplay in any way beyond adding variety, utility, and enjoyment to the use of magic in the game. So the question still remains, why not have more spells?
Quoted for agreement.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #10
I guess I'll wait a bit longer to see if Jeff responds here before emailing him, but I suppose that only he can really answer.

I just want to know if the reason the spells are the way they are is "because that's the way I like it", or if there is actually a reason X, Y, and/or Z that we don't have more spells.

If it's the former, I will know that asking is pretty much futile, but if it's the latter, there may be something that I can do/suggest/whatever to help get more spells into the game.

quote:
Personally, I'd rather see 120 spells with 40 identical (not even palette swapped) graphics than 40 spells with 40 graphics.
Exactly. In Exile 3 many of the spells didn't even have animations, the effect just happened. I don't see any problem with this at all.

quote:
This one actually has an answer: because Jeff has apparently received numerous complaints over the years about the demon summoning spells in Exile, from concerned parents, I guess. Jeff concluded that demon summoning was not really an integral part of the game, and he might as well get rid of it.
I guess I can see that particular case, but I was just giving an example of spells that could be brought back that would add to game enjoyment, but not alter the dynamics in any way.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:06: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #11
Originally by Archmage Alex:

quote:
Exactly. In Exile 3 many of the spells didn't even have animations, the effect just happened. I don't see any problem with this at all.
That would certainly reduce the number of times a spell only gets half-cast in Geneforge because of entering combat/taking damage. It's probably not going to happen, though, given the graphic improvements we see in each new game.

Dikiyoba.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

That would certainly reduce the number of times a spell only gets half-cast in Geneforge because of entering combat/taking damage.
Half-cast? The spells would still take as many AP. I meant there were a few more spells that worked like "Cloud of Blades" and summoning. Where one second there's nothing there, and the next second there is, no animation of it occuring.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
No, Dikiyoba meant how sometimes you cast a spell in Geneforge and lose the spell energy and essence from it but then a monster or poison damage interrupts the animation sequence and you never get the effects from the spell. If there was no animation, that wouldn't happen so often.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:53: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #14
Yes, I was rather hoping the 'half-cast' effect would be fixed in GF4, but it isn't unfortunately.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #15
Angry Parents about summon demons? That could be a whole new moster.

Anyway, improving a spell isn't a new thing. In the E trilogy and BoE, the spells got better as the character leveled up. Now I say,

WHOOP-DEY FREAKING DO

--------------------
That's good stuff! (Hic.)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Only a handful of spells actually had their effect change significantly from level to level. Most spells simply increased in damage amount and/or number of targets in a way totally indistinguishable from the increase that already occurs by gaining PC levels and increasing your magic-related skills. At best, you could argue that there are maybe 50-55 spells rather than 40.
My point was really that a lot of the Exile trilogy spells are duplicative. Consider:

Minor bless, strength, bless, bless party

Minor heal, heal, major heal

Scare, fear, repel, group fear

Stumble, curse, holy scourge, curse all, holy ravaging, ravage enemy

Now in Avernum this can all handled through a single spell by altering the number of targets and base spell strength.

In Avernum in addition, related spells are more often brought together, for example cure poison, cure disease, cure acid are all in a single spell. There is an all-purpose cure mental effects spell in place of separate spells for cure dumbfounding, cure sleep, cure paralysis, cure terror, cure charm. Bind foe is another example of a composite spell (unfortunately, since this means you lose the ability to web foes if you allow this spell to improve).

Admittedly Exile had a few extra useless spells, and the magnificent series of wall spells, but in the final analysis Exile and Avernum do have similar numbers of spell effects, it's just in Avernum you access them through fewer spells.

--------------------

Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

My point was really that a lot of the Exile trilogy spells are duplicative. Consider:

Minor bless, strength, bless, bless party

Now in Avernum this can all handled through a single spell by altering the number of targets and base spell strength.

True, but very often I only need to hasten a single character for 3 rounds, and I'd rather use Minor Haste for 1 SP than hasten my entire party unnecessarily for 12 SP. It can make very large difference in a long dungeon crawl.

quote:
In Avernum in addition, related spells are more often brought together, for example cure poison, cure disease, cure acid are all in a single spell.
Exile had those spells as well, but again, sometimes all I need to do is cure 1 member of minor poison and I'd rather only use 1SP.

quote:
Bind foe is another example of a composite spell (unfortunately, since this means you lose the ability to web foes if you allow this spell to improve).
And, imperfect as it was, we don't even have that spell anymore.

quote:
in the final analysis Exile and Avernum do have similar numbers of spell effects, it's just in Avernum you access them through fewer spells.
Again, this is simply not true. If you include the wall spells, there about 30 effects we don't see at all (and that's including all the spells of all 5 Avernum games, individually they each miss even more).

The simple fact is that there are drastically fewer spells, and very many fewer effects. The two are definitely not comparable.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
At some point while making Exodus, I noted the following:

BoA has thirty statuses, but the default spellset can only affect sixteen (if I've counted right) of those, and it can only usefully confer about eight.

To put it another way, there is no way to poison a creature, and the only spell that will do acid damage is Spray Acid, which does so little damage that it's not worth it. This is a non-trivial point, because there are seven kinds of damage, and spells can only significantly inflict four kinds on a regular basis: fire, cold, magic, and weapon.

Similarly, there are seven kinds of fields, and the default spellset can only create one. Area-of-effect spells, mainstays in the Exile engine, are gone from Avernum, and their replacements are not quite the same.

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 18:16: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #19
Well, I can't argue with the math...

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #20
I think that Jeff should bring again the mass area spells, like Curse all or Slow Group. Those spells and the like where amazing for turning the battle for your favor, specially the though outdoor encounters, with that slow and curse tactic it was easy to defeat a very large group of enemies in a low level.
But in avernum the only slow spell was SLOW(duh) and it only affected one foe!!! That doesn't even compare with slow group!! And about curse i think there is no cursing spell...maybe charm foe in level 1, that just emfeebles.
Group fear was useful sometimes. Especially when you feel lazy to kill all the monsters in outdoors. And pestilence was still very funny and was somewhat useful for killing enemies in town because of the desease.

Also more damage types could be implemented. It's just about creativity. Something like a HOLY damage done to undead, maybe...corruption damage for kill and that kind of spells, things like that.

The barriers and fields should come back too...they weren't that useful all the time but where quite cool, and again Jeff should create other kinds of fields...like a stasis field that freezes people. Or totems that create fields and being able to build/summon them...

I could be all day long giving ideas... :)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Originally by chicho1102:

quote:
Also more damage types could be implemented. It's just about creativity. Something like a HOLY damage done to undead, maybe...corruption damage for kill and that kind of spells, things like that.
There is already repel spirit for undead and demons.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #22
Oh really??? I can't believe it!!

¬¬

I mean the damage class not the spell. I ovbiously know about the spell...like dispel undead, turn undead, repel undead and ravage spirit, also there is holy arrows and light bolts, Ghoulbanes... I know of that stuff...
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #23
Oh really??? I can't believe it!!

¬¬

I mean the damage class not the spell. I ovbiously know about the spell...like dispel undead, turn undead, repel undead and ravage spirit, also there is holy arrows and light bolts, Ghoulbanes... I know about that stuff...
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #24
Double post. Be careful, there.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.

Pages