I like it, but...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I like it, but...
Apprentice
Member # 8016
Profile #0
Why is it so much like Geneforge now??
I liked the far off view from the other 4 more...but don get me wrong, I still love all the games :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
It's not that much like Geneforge. The graphics have been updated, of course, but, well, they really needed to be, and Geneforge graphics were used because they were already available. The use of the mouse for party movement... ehhh.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
It's apparently Geneforge's engine adapted to be Avernum-like, not vice versa, for what it's worth. That said, it doesn't strike me as especially Geneforge-esque in anything but graphics, and I like the new graphics more. The only other real changes are changes from Avernum but not particularly towards Geneforge.

—Alorael, who supposes the stats are more like Geneforge than Avernum now. That part didn't bother him at all. Lack of height (from the graphics and engine) was a much bigger problem.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
A lot was grabbed from Geneforge to save time. Some of the features were okay, but Avernum and Exile games are great for using keyboard commands. At least Jeff said that more keyboard commands will return.

I really miss elevations. It made Avernum different.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Jeff has also said that elevations will return.

NineInch, it would probably be better if you posted fewer new topics. Participate in the discussions already taking place rather than starting a million new ones.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8016
Profile #5
Sorry Kelandon, juse wanna get into some new conversations is all...
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #6
Theres only a couple of things that miff me about A4...the main one being not able to move across an entire screen with one click. Its always too far...beh.

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #7
I never really liked either Isometric styles. Exile is beter because you get 6 party members, The skill points required for skills stay the same, and its dificult getting used to the essence of retarded compass points in avernum.
For something like nethergate, it's fine. Also, you get to define what your health and spell points are. And you cant headbang! WHY DO YOU STINKING CLOUD (curse) ME?!?!

And theres no editor in Avernum 4.

EDIT: hold on. that didn't realy have any thing to do with the isometricness. Anyways, FLATLANDS TO DA CORE! and there's less spells. INCLUDING DEATH ARROWS AND QUICKFIRE!

[ Saturday, February 10, 2007 23:39: Message edited by: Quickfire ]

--------------------
That's good stuff! (Hic.)
Apprentice
Member # 8062
Profile #8
I thought the plot was WAY too similar to Avernum 3... I could have told you before I started the game that Rentar-Ihrno was trying to get revenge.

I'm glad she's dead. :)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #9
You killed her? How barbaric.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #10
After all the games she's been in? She deserves to die. Several times.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Hey, she was fine in A2. A3 was a little questionable, though. And I'll grant that she deserved to die after A4. Still, I hope the plot of A5 at least leaves her fate ambiguous. After all, who would know what happened besides 1-4 tight-lipped adventurers and possibly the vahnatai?

—Alorael, who ignores the fact that Starrus apparently has magical spies that can tell him anything and everything instantly. It's good to be the king.
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #12
She's a complete moron, she killed Erika :mad:

--------------------
That's good stuff! (Hic.)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #13
That's a bit of a non sequitur; Erika wasn't exactly the easiest person to destroy. Erika wasn't the most popular person in-game, either (she did cause the war which takes place in A2).

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 8062
Profile #14
I actually haven't gotten to the end yet, but I think I'm definitely going to kill her! We'll see what happens when she makes her excuses; maybe her pathos will arouse my sense of pity (NOT).
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #15
If Erika didn't cause the war, the Avernites wouldn't be able to return to the surface.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

If Erika didn't cause the war, the Avernites wouldn't be able to return to the surface.
I'm not so sure about that. It wouldn't have happened as quickly or as violently, but the Avernites would've found a way back.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Letting Rentar live requires some choices much earlier in the game that you can easily miss if you choose a belligerent tone with her.

I don't follow the link between the Empire War and the return to the surface. Reconciliation between the Empire and Avernum followed diplomacy and spying launched from Fort Emergence. That was largely unrelated to the Empire's actions and mostly based on the fact that Avernites wanted out of the caves.

Yes, stopping the plagues gave Avernum a diplomatic edge and the plagues were caused by vahnatai, who were in turn motivated by the Empire's kidnappings, which wouldn't have happened if Erika hadn't sparked the war. On the other hand, Prazac was a notably receptive Empress. Without Erika Hawthorne or Garzahd might still hold all the power, and they weren't the negotiating sort.

—Alorael, who still thinks Erika wasn't exactly a popular person. Maybe assassinating Hawthorne was a good idea, but Erika did that and everything else alone. She was too much of a reclusive loose cannon for anyone powerful in Avernum or on the surface to be comfortable with her.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #18
I showed some sympathy to Rentar, but in the end, she forced me to kill her. I was hoping for a peaceful resolution, but...

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #19
I liked Erika. It's hard to be a genius surrounded by morons. A least in her opinion there was nobody there as an equal.

Besides getting to see her was always a fun challenge in the first two games. The third one was just surviving her hobbies.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #20
I liked Erika...I hope that she magically resurrects for A5...that things may happen... :rolleyes:

And I didn't ended A4 so tell me, what happened with Rentar?

I didn't liked A4 too much, it was just OK but no more for me...maybe because the ending was so ovbious...something like:

Avernum
CHAPTER FOUR: THE VAHNATAI DID IT!!

Edit: [NineInch]...Nails???
Trent Reznor anyone?

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 13:28: Message edited by: chicho1102 ]
Apprentice
Member # 8135
Profile #21
Hehehe thats true about the end chapter. In the first, second and third it is all wow these are strange CRYSTALS i wonder what they mean. :confused: Any idiot that lived in Avernum or empire would be able to tell straight away.

I liked the Exile series beter because of 6 party members hundred or so spells, the skill points required for skills stay the same, and there were more skills to chose from, you get to add to health and spell points.

What is with the bows i know there was probably some reason behind it but never ending arrows is ridiculous.

--------------------
Why is it that we judge how much we like other people by how close their thinking is to our own.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
[Spoilers], obviously

At the end of A4 you can choose from three options after you defeat Rentar-Ihrno. You can kill her, send her back to the non-rogue vahnatai so they can apply their own sense of justice, or let her flee with a promise to inflict pain and suffering on the Empire instead of Avernum.

[/Spoilers]

[Edit: Tagged out[/t]]

—Alorale, who wishes the UBB had a decent spoilers tag. He also could live with everyone expecting to see spoilers in every thread, since that's more or less how Spiderweb operates.

[ Monday, February 19, 2007 08:38: Message edited by: Being of Alo ]
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by GivingPerformer:

We'll see what happens when she makes her excuses; maybe her pathos will arouse my sense of pity (NOT).
One great thing about Rentar is that she makes no excuses. She doesn't have to, she is doing what she believes is right. It is up to the player to understand this and forgive her for it. When they do, Rentar honorably accepts the defeat, and is willing to surrender unconditionally. She loves her people so much, she is willing to swallow her pride for them. Why most people interpret this as 'mindless hate villain' I'll never understand.

--------------------
You lose.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Because "what she believes is right" is so obviously not right that the train of thought usually stops right there. She's stupidly clinging to something that's clearly evil. That's a generic evil villain.

Rentar is dead. Dead dead dead. In A5, people will talk about how dead she is. So says Jeff.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages