I like it, but...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I like it, but...
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #25
She could be a shade. Or a martyr for some cult. In fact, I would find it rather odd if her influence had faded entirely by A5. Just so long as she isn't still the prime motivator, she (or her memory) could have some place in the game without me finding it bad.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
I'd be disappointed if the vahnatai didn't talk about her, but it should be abundantly clear to them that she was insane, proceeded insanely, and caused nothing but harm to humans and vahnatai.

—Alorael, who can follow Rentar's reasoning up to the point where the Empire committed heinous crimes and had to pay. Trying to destroy the Empire entirely would be crazy. Targeting insignificant Valorim is even crazier. Then ignoring the Empire to get revenge on Avernum for getting in the way? The only thing that makes it even slightly reasonable is the way the vahnatai sectioned up Avernum with barriers in A2. Maybe they just don't know how to extract vengeance very well.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Being of Alo:

[Spoilers], obviously

At the end of A4 you can choose from three options after you defeat Rentar-Ihrno. You can kill her, send her back to the non-rogue vahnatai so they can apply their own sense of justice, or let her flee with a promise to inflict pain and suffering on the Empire instead of Avernum.

[/Spoilers]

[Edit: Tagged out[/t]]

—Alorale, who wishes the UBB had a decent spoilers tag. He also could live with everyone expecting to see spoilers in every thread, since that's more or less how Spiderweb operates.

So A4 have different endings then?? That's not very avernum-like! It sounds more like geneforge!!Oh my god Geneforge is everywhere!!!
:eek:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
It has one ending with a few minor variations in the text depending on what you've done with Rentar-Ihrno, the Darkside Loyalists, the Shades, and maybe a few other problems. It's not very Geneforge-esque

—Alorael, who also thinks that getting different endings depending on choices made literally in the last five minutes of the game hardly makes them distinct endings. Reload and see what else you could have done.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Being of Alo:

It has one ending with a few minor variations in the text depending on what you've done with Rentar-Ihrno, the Darkside Loyalists, the Shades, and maybe a few other problems.
Don't you have to kill the shades at the end anyway if you didn't kill them during the game?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
Do you? What for? I've never not killed them, but I think I remember someone saying it changed the ending and it makes sense to me.

—Alorael, who doesn't even remember getting any especially useful reward for killing the Shades, which was only fair since they weren't terribly difficult by that point in the game.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by This poster is not Thuryl.:

Do you? What for?
I'm pretty sure they show up in the final dungeon and attack you if you haven't killed them yet. At least, I seem to recall seeing text about a shade attacking in the script of some zones near the end of A4.

[ Tuesday, February 20, 2007 01:37: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #32
If you haven't killed the 3 shades then the final fight with R-I becomes harder. Or if you fail to take the correct dialog option than it can be harder. I don't think it affects the final end.

R-I was kind of the loose cannon of the Vahnatai. She pretty much would decide on an action, do it, and then wait for Council approval.
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by chicho1102:

I liked Erika...I hope that she magically resurrects for A5...that things may happen... :rolleyes:

I've had one Idea, where you go back in time and stop Erika from getting the curse, so she is able to kill Rentar-Ihrno without dying herself. Then she has to go on like she has the curse, you go through the whole thing again (your actual selves are not there) and coming to the fight, Renter blasts the whole, but it does nothing. Rentar gets death arrowed.

Speaking of that, why can't a PC be a Vahnatai?

--------------------
That's good stuff! (Hic.)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #34
Originally by Quickfire:

quote:
Speaking of that, why can't a PC be a Vahnatai?
Jeff thinks having a vahnatai PC would make their race be significantly less cool and mysterious. Besides, vahnatai would probably either be unbalancing or severely weakened to be a PC character.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
If Erika were not cursed, she wouldn't be in Avernum very long. She is not the sort who would patiently stay in self-imposed exile to preserve the timeline. She'd be going at Garzahd and Hawthorne with everything she had, and she'd have a fair chance at winning.

—Alorael, who thinks a time-traveling Avernite could more reasonably convince Erika not to battle with Rentar-Ihrno. Events in A4 would proceed differently, but they wouldn't be unrecognizable.
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #36
like i said, she says she has the curse, and it goes the same way. It's imaginary.

As a vahnatai, you would be like,

Strength:1
Dexterity:2
Intelligence:3
Experience penalty: 20%

Around the same as Sliths.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
Jeff has made races and traits give bonuses to a few skills that get progressively larger as you gain levels. A few points in the main stats wouldn't be worth a penalty, and increasing bonuses would require too much penalty.

—Alorael, who finds your hypothetical too unlikely. It would require Erika to have a different personality, which is within the bounds of speculation but not within the bounds of time travel. Or simple time travel, anyway. You could always go back to her childhood and give her a different life. (See BoE: Chains)
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #38
I thought that once Jeff said that there will NEVER be a vahnatai PC, am I right?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #39
Yes. But the again, he also said there wouldn't be a Avernum 4.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #40
No, he never said that, Nioca. This is a ridiculously propagated myth. He said there wouldn't be an Exile 4, and he said that back in 1997, I think, years before Avernum was even conceived of.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
In fact, Jeff actually made the entire Avernum series just so he could exploit that loophole to make Avernum 4 instead of Exile 4, and thus continue the Exile plotline.

IMAGE(http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-tinfoil.gif)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #42
If Jeff thought he could make more money from putting vahnatai PCs in his games, he'd do it.

—Alorael, who leaves convincing Jeff as an exercise for the reader. You have, oh, ten years to do it. Good luck!
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #43
Fine. maybe you could say vahnatai are better at magic or somethin'.

And who the hell is Alorael?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #44
Alorael is the person who keeps signing his posts with the name "Alorael."

That is, he is member 335, who changes his displayed name regularly.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #45
Yes tomorrow he will have a different name, but he always says that he's alorael so you won't ever be confused.

And the more ovbious pc trait for vahnatai is making them good at magic, but that would be an unbalance because magic is a very big skill, slith only had attack bonus with spears, but they had more endurance and resistance too, I think that vahnatai should be good at magis spells, not priest. But ther eis some really though vahnatai warrior...so what are they good at?
:eek:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #46
The vahnatai are good at everything, which is why they wouldn't make very good characters.

—Alorael, who at least thinks it makes sense in a system in which humans are the worst race and all other races just add bonuses with no penalty but experience. There's no reasonable way to penalize vahnatai down to human equivalence.
Apprentice
Member # 8011
Profile #47
Yes there is. They are more vunerable to disease and poison. They use blades more don't they? And razor disks. Hold on, that's more of the human ninja no?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 8062
Profile #48
Oh, I got to the end of the game. And yeah, I killed her. I had enough of her insane ideas about vengeance... sort of reminded me of Goodman Thorious and family.

And this way, I hope Avernum 5 won't have such a predictable plot, with mysterious crystals and monsters and whatnot.

Pages