Avernum 5 Ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5 Ideas
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #0
We're nearing that fateful time. After Nethergate 2.0 is out and running, A5 is bound to be in the works. And since it's been proven that Jeff does follow good ideas, it seemed only fitting that we have an ideas thread. What would you want to see in A5?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Hot Slith-on-Nephil action.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
As a caveat, mechanics suggestions are more likely to be used. I'd stay away from any specific plot suggestions, you're almost certainly wasting poor electrons.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Things I do not want to see:
- Quarantines
- Rentar-Ihrno
- A new humanoid race or culture with a religious ritual that involves touching the surface of three pools of water
- Clawbugs
- Pylons

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #4
Nurrr, most of what I said I wanted for Avernum 4.
a) Greater variety in the magic system, possibly a new type of magic besides mage/priest
b) reinstating the alchemy system, expanding the usefulness of alchemy
c) being able to make light so that playing the damn game doesn't make me go blind from the dungeon sections.
d) greater variety in what non-casters can do.
e) perhaps something like feats, so that characters can get new traits/abilities every few levels.
f) the old targeting system.
g) a plot that is not totally linear.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
I'd honestly rather see JV fix BoA first...

(waits for laughter to stop)

Right... I'd kind of like to see elevation come back. And it might benefit the game to break out of the same section of Avernum used in 1, 2, and 4... particularly after how 4's engine change crunched most of it down.

I'd also like to see an explanation for how Fort Ganrick, Grindstone, Fort Monastery, and their ilk keep messing up the continuity of the game. :P

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
Level 3 spells, like in A3 (When haste, at level 3, would haste the entire group instead of a single PC), but expand it to all spells. For example, an L3 Bolt of Fire would explode on contact, causing some AE damage. L3 Icy rain could actually freeze enemies solid, similar to that demon in the Tower Colony. You get the idea.

Also, it could be taken a step further by having the L3 variant cost more, and you can choose between the standard spell and the L3 spell.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Apprentice
Member # 7663
Profile Homepage #7
In general: More stealth, tactics, and uncertainty!
(you can probably just skip the rest now)

I think that there should be lots of areas that you have to sneak around more and run for your life! Because, lets face it, running for your life is more interesting than point-click-kill. Also, no more stupid QUARANTINE ZONES!!! AHHHHGGGGG!!! It was so annoying that you couldn't move on, NO MATTER WHAT which made it impossible for you to go have a ball fighting monsters three times your level. Besides, that should be enough of a hint that this area is too tough for you, you don't need a big magical barrier to tell you that! And wheres the fun in not being able to go ahead and do quests later that are much harder but give you more xp.

--------------------
never say anything bad about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. But after that, he's a mile away, you've got his shoes, and you can say whatever you want.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
Take the combat system from Geneforge 4 so you no longer waste a turn if you have less than 5 AP to fight or use a spell. At least make it so you don't lose the rest of the action if you still have 3 AP.

Please bring back elevations.

Mass haste or more mass haste items.

The backpack/encumberance system from Geneforge 4 so you don't spend a round dropping everything or leaving piles everywhere to pick up on return trips. From what Jeff said last time it seems like there maybe a few one way sections.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

the same section of Avernum used in 1, 2, and 4
Section of Avernum? That's pretty much all of Avernum proper. This is well-established.

quote:
I'd also like to see an explanation for how Fort Ganrick, Grindstone, Fort Monastery, and their ilk keep messing up the continuity of the game. :P
They don't. Fort Monastery is new, and Fort Ganrick was described even in E2 as a temporary construction built solely to hold off the goblins and nephils north of Draco. Grindstone is odd only because such villages usually get a special node with a dialog box rather than an actual town.

I would, however, still like to know what the heck happened to Fort Saffron during the Empire War.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
So quarantines are good when used to define the boundaries of a chapter (A2, G4) but bad when used to define the boundaries of a less explicit chapter (A4)? Okay.

—Alorael, who would be settled with a good plot backed up by the mechanics of A4 with appropriate tweaks. Yes, there are other nice things that could appear, but A4 was mechanically sound. Now Avernum needs its story to move forward as it didn't really in A4.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #11
Slarty wrote:
----------------------------------------
Things I do not want to see:
- Quarantines
- Rentar-Ihrno
- A new humanoid race or culture with a religious ritual that involves touching the surface of three pools of water
- Clawbugs
- Pylons
-----------------------------------------
And don't forget chitrachs or however they're called - let's assume we destroyed thwem for good in A4, OK?

And for what i'd like - the open game like A1 or G2! And perhaps some new (ancient) race - or at least the ruins suggesting them - they don't need to be powerful or anything, just new.
Oh yeah, maybe also some newly discovered terrain ... (maybe even revisiting the vahnatai - their area always seemed so creepy to me ...)
And keep the decent balance between archers and fighters - finally it pays to have an archer - good for diversity!

And let's not forget:

KEEP THE GIFTS!

It's nice to be loved at least somewhere in such a hostile environment as averenum!

[ Tuesday, December 05, 2006 23:34: Message edited by: 25AnarhIztok11 ]

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
Everyone hates chitrachs, but we need something to hate.

Elevation would be cool, and so would the G4 AP system; but making sure that melee doesn't languish too badly. Not doing enough damage, or having too many monsters that give you unavoidable major badness when you hit them, tilts the game too much toward casters.

Starting somewhere in established Avernum, but exploring a totally new region of the underworld, would be coolest. The old, relatively small patch of subterranean real estate has had so many bad things happen to it, that letting it rest in peace for a while would make it much more plausible that anyone is still left down there at all. Exploring a new area would be great.

With elevation, better lighting rules, and some new weird stuff. How about a large Vahnatai city, for instance?

Or an open-ended plot in the sense that there are a number of quite different alternative goals to achieve. And maybe not have everything so urgent, all the time. Some casual exploring, without having to save the world, would be fun, at least for much of the game.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Delaying Tactictian:

So quarantines are good when used to define the boundaries of a chapter (A2, G4) but bad when used to define the boundaries of a less explicit chapter (A4)? Okay.
I am talking about quarantines specifically, not just any kind of barrier or boundary. E/A 2 thus did not have any quarantines. I'm willing to give a pass to E/A 1 ("exiling", the Abyss) as well.

But E/A 3 had a quarantined continent and a quarantined province, A4 had quarantined regions, G1 had a Barred island, G3 had a quarantined island chain. G4 has a quarantined province, though that isn't so bad because you are expected to violate the quarantine. VoDT revolved around a large Forbidden area. ASR had a quarantined area (though not at the beginning).

I realize that it's easier to make these kinds of games with artifical restrictions on where the player can go, but enough with the quarantines already. I don't want to have to make any comparisons to Lufia II.

The problem with A4 in this regard is just how movement was restricted. In A1 and A2, you had the same area to explore but you had (for the most part) unrestricted freedom to explore as you wished. There were any number of ways to get from Northeastern Exile to the Great Cave. But in A4, every possible route but one has been totally shut down, so it feels much less open and free. That's fine with the more linear plot, but for people who were used to the old Avernum I think it felt stifling.

Although G4 is handled similarly, the barriers feel much less arbitrary. First of all, it really does take a lot of effort to get through an entire region in G4; it doesn't feel like you are flying through the map and then stopping because of some random mayor. Also, the war and the tasks you are tasked with make the stopping points fit with the plot well, as opposed to A4, where justification seems more tenuous.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
For the record, this is what Jeff had to say about this a while back:
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

The way I currently picture Avernum 5 is:

i. In a whole new area of the underworld.
ii. On a much smaller scale, plot-wise. You have a major mission, but no monolithic power trying to blow up the world.
iii. More like Avernum 2 in details of storyline.
iv. Vahnatai are present.
v. More talk and diplomacy.
vi. More PC icons and graphical improvements, but the same underlying engine.

But I won't think about things in real detail for a year, at least.

- Jeff Vogel

I am in favor of i, iii, and vi, and I'm probably happy about ii. I'm unsure about v, and I'm a little anxious about iv.

[ Wednesday, December 06, 2006 08:01: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
Huh; I think I remember this, and I think it grew on me. A4 was my first real exposure to Avernum, but now I'm looking forward to A5.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Having the vahnatai dominate the plot (again) would be bad, but so would having them vanish. They're part of Avernum. They're actually more Avernite than the Avernites. They need to stay.

E/A2 should be recongized as the origin of the quarantines. What else would you call the barriers in Chapter 1? E/A3's quarantines also don't seem problematic. Blackcrag could just as easily refuse passage to you specifically because Worms aren't supposed to run around anywhere but Valorim. Tinraya has huge walls around it for good reason, but you aren't supposed to have any problems getting in.

A4's barriers seem artificial after A1 and A2, but only because they seem artificial, not because they're quarantines.

—Alorael, who was particularly baffled by Formello having barriers almost exactly where the vahnatai put them. Wasn't once enough?
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #17
Hmm, propably it should be as close as the series it can be.
Or how about the end of the world in A5 caused by demons rasing up to destroy the world and enslave humanity ! Herr never mind.

[ Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:51: Message edited by: opon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by opon mars (Translated by Nioca):

Hmm, it probably should be as close to the series as it can be. Or how about the end of the world in A5 caused by demons rising up to destroy the world and enslave humanity! Herr, never mind.
I thought that was pretty much covered in A1. Besides, it's too cliche.

Oh, and would you kindly explain 'herr'?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
It's the noncommital sound "err" with some H adding, of course.

Jeff said that A5 won't be about saving the world, and demons have already done their destroying Avernum bit before A1, during A1, and during A3. Even Grah-Hoth has to get tired eventually.

—Alorael, who thinks the use of the Geneforge engine opens up lovely opportunties for NPCs to join your party (as NPCs, not PCs). It's been used to good effect in Geneforge and Nethergate, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work in Avernum.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
It's the noncommital sound "err" with some H adding, of course.
That, or opon mars is respectfully addressing some German named 'never mind'.

--------------------
Roy: Dad?? But... you and Mom are both dead...
Roy's Father: Yeah, funny thing about being a ghost, it has some harsh prerequisites.
(OotS #15)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #21
We could have Vahnatai as an isolated group like in the BoA scenario KZR. That would give them a limited neutral presence.

Diplomacy sounds too much like the opinion dialogs of Geneforge. If it is based upon actions then it would be okay since you get to make a conscious decision and not try to guess which dialog branch will lead to a payoff.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #22
Four Vahnatai Tribe War
Empire Civil War
Un-Banished Sliths Discovered
Reinsertion of the Darkside Loyalists
Bandits (again, but way stronger)
Nephilim, Goblins, lizards, and some weak bandits (for the beginning)
Dragon Brood unleashed on the Empire

This is just something that if included with some other sub-plots would add up to what I would say is a good game! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #23
If A5 were my game to build, I'd do something totally different.

Instead of the usual focus on political/monster issues, this time an unforseen natural threat: seismic/volcanic/flooding activity destroy part of old Avernum. It also opens up a passage to a vast new cavern system which must be explored and secured for migration and colonization. What one could find in such an uncharted realm could go in many directions, but it could be very fresh, and not necessarily exclusively hostile.

Time would count. Towns would be destroyed by water, lava, or cave-ins as time passes. If you have done your job properly, the inhabitants will have somewhere to go. Meanwhile, the surviving cities are decaying into chaos and overcrowding with refugees. Maybe the criminals from the Spire would be intermingled and conflicts and disorder would result. The Darkside Loyalists could seize upon the opportunity to incite revolt. There would be different contentions for what to do and where to go to survive and it takes efficient explorers to figure out where that is going to be.

Eh, random and unrefined ideas on the spur of the moment. I hunger for something very fresh and different and it would be highly gratifying to pretend the Vahnatai never existed at all.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #24
Somehow, I missed most of the posts in this topic until now. How did that happen?

Anyway, Dikiyoba will second Randomizer's suggestions for mass haste and G4's inventory/encumbrance system. (Dikiyoba hasn't seen it yet, but Dikiyoba disliked the A4 inventory/encumbrance system, so no matter what the exact details are, it should be an improvement.) More slith and nephil graphics would also be nice.

Pages