Avernum 5 Ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5 Ideas
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

It also opens up a passage to a vast new cavern system which must be explored and secured for migration and colonization. What one could find in such an uncharted realm could go in many directions, but it could be very fresh, and not necessarily exclusively hostile.
Can someone say Exodus? :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Yeah, and Solberg's homeland sliths idea is kinda treading on my territory, too. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #27
MULTIPLAYER!
Whether it be LAN or Internet or MMORPG-style or all of them i don't care but it's just about time they put multiplayer in...
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

It also opens up a passage to a vast new cavern system which must be explored and secured for migration and colonization. What one could find in such an uncharted realm could go in many directions, but it could be very fresh, and not necessarily exclusively hostile.
Can someone say Exodus? :P

Hmm, the only Ultima I ever played was IV back in 1986, but it goes to show there is no new idea under the sun ultimately. I think it would be great fun in the Avernum context though. I love exploration and discovery of strange, unpredictable and aesthetically impressive things in games. Avernum 4 pretty much lost that effect with no elevation and a retread of wholly familiar territory and little sense of beauty (light or dark) or wonder.

A lot of people didn't enjoy Avernum 3 for some reason, but I really enjoyed exploring that surface world.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
No, like, Exodus, the BoA scenario. The premise of my most recent scenario is exploring a large, newly-opened area of the caves.

[ Thursday, December 07, 2006 09:17: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
It's an obvious premise with caves. Even ZKR is basically predicated on the existence of caves near Avernum that haven't yet been explored or settled.

—Alorael, who doesn't want time limits. Timers are no fun for the compulsive. He also does not view a plague of bandits in any kinder light than plagues of other things. The only plague that really makes sense is chitrachs, and they're extremely irritating.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #31
Chitrachs were not always this annoying. Sure, they were always hack n slash fests, but I remember them as being sort of interesting when they first appeared in E2. Back then, of course, they did things other than just attack.

The real problem is having about 30 map sections (counting the basements) filled with Chitrachs. That was utterly ridiculous.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #32
On a somewhat related note and also probably relating to the topic, I couldn't stand the multiple levels of A4. In previous Spiderweb games I just found a wall, walked along it, and traced out the outline of whatever region I was in; then I worked my way inwards, entered any towns, and thoroughly explored them as well. With A4 this is mostly impossible for several reasons:
1) You don't heal at the earlier rate while "outdoors", meaning you have to trek back to town every other time you fight a pack of bats
2) Multiple levels mean you (or at least I) have to backtrack, take every staircase down or up, and explore those tunnels
3) In the small section that I played, there were very few actual limits on how far I could move; my system completely failed when I had to cover so much territory at a time

Chances are I just didn't play enough to let A4 grow on me. But the fact is that whether or not I have an uninformed opinion, that initial perception cost Spiderweb money.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #33
I had the same experience.

Be glad you didn't get to the Eastern Gallery. Imagine a 3x5 (or so) set of map squares with mostly interconnected basements, with chitrachs everywhere.

Actually, don't. It's painful even to imagine it.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #34
I wasn't so bothered by the levels as much as I was by the lack of distinction between "dungeons" and "outdoors". For instance, the bulk of the section with the hostile half-blood nephil leader or whatever he was felt really empty, considering that it was supposed to be the nephil's camp. Then I entered the next section, which I thought should be fairly empty because I've passed the blockade, and I tripped over nephilim left and right. There wasn't enough anticipation for and respite from the battles.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
I like outdoors and indoors too, but I didn't think A4's sections were as bad as that. Exploration worked just fine, although Avernum has always been about secret passages. The only problem for me is that the world feels much smaller when there's no zooming out for roaming across the countryside.

—Alorael, who liked the chitrach warrens a great deal. "Like' isn't really the right word for suffering and fear, but it will do. They were a good area.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
Now that I think about it more: I really hated the lack of outdoors. It might be a problem that I have with GF, too.

Lack of elevation was also a problem.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #37
Elevations distinguish Avernum and Nethergate from the other games. The merging of towns and outside wouldn't have been so bad if the proportions had been maintained. I would buff and haste my party and race through an area until the haste wore off and leave fight mode to save. It was depressing how far you could travel between towns in A4 on one haste.

It would be nice to have a new area to explore outside the current caves. Even as a new underground level like the tunnels under the Great Cave with more interesting encounters. Maybe more than 2 levels in a area so you have a multilayer dungeon over more than one map area in the level.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

No, like, Exodus, the BoA scenario. The premise of my most recent scenario is exploring a large, newly-opened area of the caves.
Ah, well, I like this idea, so kudos. What I didn't like was the opening fight, so I never got any farther than that to play it.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Apprentice
Member # 6503
Profile #39
I'd like to see the clearance system return, ala Exile/Avernum 2. The whole Magi/Royal Clearance thing was pretty rewarding, it gave you more of a reason to return to previous areas, and I felt a greater sense of accomplishment when I returned to said areas.
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #40
I'd like to see a return of the surface world.

And yeah, as Alorael said, time limits are horrible.

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by MidniteNightingale:

I'd like to see the clearance system return, ala Exile/Avernum 2. The whole Magi/Royal Clearance thing was pretty rewarding, it gave you more of a reason to return to previous areas, and I felt a greater sense of accomplishment when I returned to said areas.
I agree... I really liked that system, and I missed it in A4. Even just something like A3's occasional uses of reputation were nice... I just want reputation back.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Pages