Moral dilemmas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Moral dilemmas
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #0
It seems that Avernum 4 presents more moral dilemmas than ever before, in terms of (friendly-ish) people and things that you have to kill to finish quests:

1. Crain
Poor guy, but how else to finish the quest without killing him off? An option to lie to Thorious and pick up the reward would be nice.

2. Non-hostile Araneas
How else to get that Nullity shield and a Terror upgrade without full-on murder? Poor little spiders. They may not have been GIFTS, but they were very quiet and peaceful.

3. Cerebrous worm
It wasn't his fault he was weird. Or that he was an experiment gone wrong. Such a lovely, gentle creature: but he still had to be slaughtered to clear a quest.

4. Gremlin
The last of his clan. Killing him felt almost like genocide.

5. Dharmon mine mage
No way to sneak past him without making him mad, but the stuff down his mine is just too juicy to ignore - if only you didn't have to kill him when you claim-jump him.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Warrior
Member # 6627
Profile Homepage #1
There's a guard in Formello permanently blocking a box of javelins. Not exactly worth the moral angst.

Has anyone ever tried to genocide the world of Avernum? Kill every living thing?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
Unfortunately, you cannot kill the king. If you do, you sort of die instantly.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
Plus that rival party of adventurers in the Honeycomb: presumably they just go unconscious and get revived in some town.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
I felt genuinely bad about those adventurers... particularly once I realized that they were on the same mission as me.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #5
To continue the list:

6. Killing that dude who used to be a bandit, but now seems to lead a pieceful life.

7. Telling a mage in Dharnia? who likes to cut all living things where the friendly spiders are.

8. Killing either commander Drew or Queen Annatolia.
Well, queen Annatolia has joined with Darkside Loyalists, but still...
(well, if you tell her you killed Imriel the quest for commander Drew does go away)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Commander Crewl, not Drew. And the mage is in Bargha, not Dharmon, which should never merge with Narnia.

—Alorael, who is quite sure that the Honeycomb adventurers are a plant by very clever bandits who know that the greatest threat they face is adventurers. Surely adventurers wouldn't be willing to kill their own!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I felt genuinely bad about those adventurers... particularly once I realized that they were on the same mission as me.
Fear not; those are bandits disguised as adventurers. You even get a quest to report their location to an agent in Mertis.

quote:
4. Gremlin
The last of his clan. Killing him felt almost like genocide.
If you talk to him enough times, he eventually attacks you of his own accord, in which case you can at least claim self-defence.

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 14:41: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
"If you talk to him enough times, he eventually attacks you of his own accord, in which case you can at least claim self-defence."

What is this, CSI: Avernum? "Let's psychologically manipulate the culprit until he goes crazy and takes a swing at us. That's totally ethical."

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
That sounds more like "Criminal Minds" to me, only the people in Criminal Minds usually try to get the criminal to surrender peacefully. CSI: Avernum would be adventurers who wander around a plundered camp of slaughtered merchants trying to decide which bandits did it, or whether the giant lizards escaped and caused havoc. With gruesome flashbacks.

Dikiyoba always felt that Geneforge was the place for moral dilemmas and Avernum was to save the world from destruction by monsters. The worlds are combining...
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Fear not; those are bandits disguised as adventurers. You even get a quest to report their location to an agent in Mertis.
That's what I thought, until just recently I trashed those adventurers, then went to collect my reward and it wasn't forthcoming. I completed that quest only by finding the serious bandit stronghold in the far SW of the Honeycomb. Which is more what the quest described, anyway, than just four dudes in a tunnel junction.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Well, I'll be. What an unfortunate misunderstanding.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba always felt that Geneforge was the place for moral dilemmas and Avernum was to save the world from destruction by monsters. The worlds are combining...
*nods in agreement*

As for the adventurers, I never felt too bad about it. I mean, I was just exploring and they attacked me for walking over some line they'd drawn!

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
Right, I was getting my crappy legal-police dramas mixed up. I suppose CSI: Avernum would be more like Avernum 3. All that evidence to analyze... and you certainly collect enough assorted monster limbs.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
I stand by my statement. The adventurers are fakes sent by the real bandits to keep the real adventurers away.

—Alorael, who felt worst about Crain. He isn't even a bad guy, he's just stiff-necked and reasonably disinclined to get stuck with a dangerously honor-bound family.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4448
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Unfortunately, you cannot kill the king. If you do, you sort of die instantly.
In my experience, if you kill him, you have to wait until the end of the round for the trigger to tell you that you were caught. After that, you have one more round until the game actually ends. I actually have a saved game with every town completly exterminated. (you only have two rounds to live, though, so it might be hard to verify)

--------------------
Yeah, here's a sig. On to more posts...
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
The adventurers near the Bandit Keep are mentioned by Corin as an earlier hire when you get the quest. If you are careful you can move around them from the north to explore the south and west sides to loot the two bodies. Approaching form the west lets you get some more stuff.

Jeff ought to restore the reputation from earlier Avernum games but use it for morality. Then you can choose to play the game as good or evil with your actions tied to that choice. The major quests would still be there but given by different people and for different reasons and rewards. The evil side would be eliminating a future competitor. In A4 that would mean eliminating the shades as bad for business, etc.

Also there could be some quests that could only be done by good or evil. This would make for a different game for each type.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Jeff ought to restore the reputation from earlier Avernum games but use it for morality. Then you can choose to play the game as good or evil with your actions tied to that choice. The major quests would still be there but given by different people and for different reasons and rewards. The evil side would be eliminating a future competitor. In A4 that would mean eliminating the shades as bad for business, etc.

Also there could be some quests that could only be done by good or evil. This would make for a different game for each type.

Undoubtedly, this would be awesome. I honestly felt bad completing some of the quests in the game (I believe I only completed one bounty quest), and I get the feeling that there should've been more consequences for them...

Given the current trend of Avernum becoming modernized (relatively, anyway), I doubt that reputation will make a strong showing in the future. I personally hope for the best, though.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #18
I was watching a game of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (2nd Ed.) where a good aligned party was slaughtering a clan of mountain dwarfs in their lair. Another watcher asked the player running a good cleric why they were doing it.

The cleric said, "Because they're evil." The Gamemaster pointed to the monster manual page where it showed the alignment was lawful good.

The watcher so that and asked, "Are you sure that they're evil?"

The cleric said, "Of course they're evil. They're keeping us from they're treasure, aren't they."

That type of philosophy help me get through most of these types of quests. The need for experience and treasure overrides moral considerations most of the time,
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
I thought the adventurers in the honeycomb were a nice touch. I really enjoyed fighting a party of similar strength am makeup to my own. Though I didn't see a moral dilemma in killing them.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #20
I for one wouldn't mind seeing a CSI:Avernum.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
The part of Grissom will be played by a Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spider.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 497
Profile #22
One would think that that would be expected.

Of course, one could make a play on his wizardly forensic talents by making him an aranea (is that the singular form?).

--------------------
Evil comes in many forms. I am but one of them.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #23
Or would it be Aranae?

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #24
What about that ogre in the swamp north of Cotra? They say it hasn't done any harm yet, but they assume it will because its an ogre, and when you confront it it simply asks you to go away, with the option to kill it being "I'd rather kill you and take your stuff".

Also, there is that farmer who wants to know what is happening in Fort Avernum (does anyone know if it actually matters whether you tell him, or follow the rules and keep it a secret?)

And how about the imprisioned eyebeast west of Cotra? If you kill it the mayor is quite upset about how much they could have learned from it, yet you get some nice rewards for doing so, and if left alone it might trick someone else into letting it escape.

Also, are there any consequences of taking up bandit lord Bragg's offer to go away for a year so you can get rewarded for killing him? Will you meet him later in the abyss?

And I'm sure there are other ones in the game too, as I haven't even gotten past the eastern gallery yet.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s

Pages