Kill Bill (Spoilers)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Kill Bill (Spoilers)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
As Dikiyoba has suggested recently, we have to get the chance to kill Ghaldring eventually. Here's hoping that there are multiple ways to do this, none lame. I don't mind having one stealth option, but it had better be an extreme one, that you can only achieve by serious investment in stealth over much of the game, plus some actual cleverness. It would be nice to have the possibility of using a geneforge, and thus acquiring the power necessary to take out Ghaldring in open combat. Coolest of all might be a faint possibility of killing Ghaldring without either sabotage or geneforgery, by using incredibly sharp tactics. This ultimate challenge could lead to a good ending in which sanity prevails all round.

Of course it would also be cool to be able to kill Ghaldring, in all of those ways, as a rebel. Or a Sholai. Or a Vlish.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #1
Before we kill Ghaldring, we have to find Ghaldring. That will probably harder than anything else. He will most likely never, ever meet with a Shaper, or anything that he doesn't have full controll over.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
If Jeff makes it possible for the PC to kill Ghaldring in a straight fight (and that is very likely, by the way), it'll probably be a typical endgame fight. Nothing special, no incredibly difficult fight. Just a straight bout of combat. I know he'll do this because in all my SpidWeb experience, he's never once made something impossibly difficult and meant for people to accomplish it.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
So the entire point of one of the games will be to track down Ghaldring, slay his followers, destroy his outposts, and then kill him?

If it isn't to people's satisfaction, one could always jack up Ghaldring's level in the script or start a story about it in this forum.

Dikiyoba hopes we kill Ghaldring soon and be done with the series. The longer the series goes on, the more anticlimatic the battle will seem, no matter how difficult the final fight is. The fight against Trajkov in G1 seemed climatic at the time because that was the whole story at that point.

Edit: Sentence structure.

[ Thursday, January 26, 2006 14:42: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
GF4/A5: The Quest to Make More Money

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

If it isn't to people's satisfaction, one could always jack up Ghaldring's level in the script or start a story about it in this forum.
Good lord. JV doesn't even need to write his own plots anymore.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
The most original endgame challenge I've seen in any RPG was in Might and Magic 2, where after slogging through the final dungeon you were given 15 minutes to solve a cryptogram encoded with a randomly generated cipher. I'm not saying that's what I want to see in Geneforge 4 (one cryptogram puzzle in a lifetime is quite enough), but I agree that requiring the player to do something requiring real skill and effort in order to win would be neat. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening -- making a game harder loses more sales than making it easier.

[ Friday, January 27, 2006 04:26: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6703
Profile #7
I personally don't want the GF series to end though. Why can't this series continue while they still write other games?

The GF series has the most refreshing new take on role playing games I've seen in a long time. The Shapers are very cool and different, sure they come down to a pet user but the whole story and way behind it all is very new and different. It's not "Fight the Evil God and save the World" plot that 99% of RPGs you play have. It's more personal, believable, and fun.

I was playing Final Fantasy X last night and thought to myself "Oh, the same old RPG crap as every other game. I really miss Geneforge." So there I am playing this huge budget super graphics RPG that is loved by millions, wishing that I was playing a new Geneforge game instead.

As for plots, it's fine for us to speculate and come up with what we'd like to see. It helps show our interest and keep us thinking about the games I think, plus I personally have stated what I've love to see happen myself in a later GF game :P (After the war is done I would love for the Shapers to be wiped out, and we start out as the person who rebuilds the whole Shaper empire and are the leader. We gather followers and apprentices and turn towns to our side and rebuild it all in our image, we end up the Top Dog instead of little Apprentice. You know what would be even more cool? A town we were able to semi design ourselves as our home base, or put money into it to make it grow bigger or whatever).

I guess if we ever get a GF editor we can try to put all these ideas down ourselves into the games, but while I love coming up with ideas and designs, I suck at code and scripts etc and would take forever trying to do it.
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Chosimba:

I personally don't want the GF series to end though. Why can't this series continue while they still write other games?

Because the subsequent development of Jeff's other series (Exernum) hasn't done much to sell people on the idea that he has anything more to say about the world he created. Asking him to continue to churn out an interminable parade of indistinguishable sequels is like buying the new Rolling Stones album. It only encourages more of the same.

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Originally by Prometheus:

quote:
Good lord. JV doesn't even need to write his own plots anymore.
Well, not everyone was happy with the A4 plot.

Dikiyoba can't think of anything else to add.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
The Exile III endgame was the best, IMO - you won by not dying and hitting the right buttons.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
It's okay not to make it too hard to finish the game. But there should be an additional 'ultra' ending that is more challenging. Perhaps with careful planning one could make a combat which is straightforward on Easy but impossible on Torment without great cunning. Or perhaps there could be an extra Easter Egg that is really hard. Something like the latter is a Geneforge tradition now, having not one but two extra super-tough areas that are not necessary to beat to end the game. So just ramp those up a bit, and give them more point. How much could one last hard part at the end really hurt sales?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

It's okay not to make it too hard to finish the game. But there should be an additional 'ultra' ending that is more challenging. Perhaps with careful planning one could make a combat which is straightforward on Easy but impossible on Torment without great cunning. Or perhaps there could be an extra Easter Egg that is really hard. Something like the latter is a Geneforge tradition now, having not one but two extra super-tough areas that are not necessary to beat to end the game. So just ramp those up a bit, and give them more point. How much could one last hard part at the end really hurt sales?
Email this to Jeff, I acutally think he will give it some seriouse consideration.
Anything that makes a game playable more times is something that he will likely include.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #13
quote:
Before we kill Ghaldring, we have to find Ghaldring. That will probably harder than anything else. He will most likely never, ever meet with a Shaper, or anything that he doesn't have full controll over.
So he's some sort of clever mastermind, and also among the strongest drakons ever? That's pretty cool.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

Email this to Jeff, I acutally think he will give it some seriouse consideration.
Anything that makes a game playable more times is something that he will likely include.

That's right. Is REALLY a good idea.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba