FAQ/walkthrough is up

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: FAQ/walkthrough is up
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #25
In Spharon's Lands you can get some of the serviles to join you and attack Spharon. You also need to destroy a crystal to kill Spharon.

Some strategy points.

1) If you close doors you can steal everything in a room with nobody seeing you. Also creatures which are patrolling will not see you.

2) If you move quickly you can run in and out of areas to get things. I got the golem notes initially without having to fight the golem this way. It is possible to run through the infested pathway enhanced by a speed spell and avoid most of the fights, trick the battle alpha making it run away, then run into the madness mire. Then run for the twin mind tunnels avoiding fights. Once you kill the twin minds-- you can go back and fight everything.

3) In Khor's Deep it is good to disable the charging platform before Hoge can do anything.

4) A good strategy is to channel monsters into doorways or tunnels so you can block being swarmed.

[ Sunday, July 03, 2005 03:45: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

quote:
Originally written by Walter:

As for that artilla skin tunic, not really as you get one on the first island in kentia south gate.
I never found that the Artilla there auto-dropped one. Thought i was luck-based.

It is? I killed it 3 times and got it every time.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
quote:

quote:

quote:

As for that artilla skin tunic, not really as you get one on the first island in kentia south gate.
I never found that the Artilla there auto-dropped one. Thought i was luck-based.

There's a percentage set for item dropping.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #28
Schrodinger - Not sure if these would be of help to you or not, but here are a few commonly needed SDFs (used as any cheat code).

sdf 34 5 1 - Master Hoge is not in Bulwark Inn or attacks the PC rather than running away. (Makes it so the commander will speak with you.)

sdf 100 4 0 - Never used canisters.

sdf 81 1 1 - Bug fix; Completes Vrabel's quest in Icy End to kill Orois Blaze in Breeding Valley.

sdf 79 4 0 - Undoes Icy End going hostile after PC entered the brood cave in Spire Forrest.

[ Sunday, July 03, 2005 08:26: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5847
Profile #29
quote:

quote:

quote:

IMX, it seems that items drops are determined when you enter a zone. So, if you entered a zone, got lucky on the RNG, then saved, you could reload that save ad infinitum and get the same lucky drop every time. Could that account for your observation?
Apprentice
Member # 6065
Profile #30
Ya its wierd I could never find that artilla. Even looking at your walkthrough I couldn't find it and I made three files looking for it.

--------------------
I like swords!
-Fighter
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #31
I couldn't find it on my first play-through either, but it's in a secluded little grove by the ladder down.

Dingy, a suggestion: split up the canister locations by island so people can tell better what they can get on which island.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 6065
Profile #32
Thanks! Drakefyre!

--------------------
I like swords!
-Fighter
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #33
No, I had played through the early game 3 separate times.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4345
Profile #34
In the recipes list you say the All Protector is from unmelting ice and a perfect shield, but according to Hawthorne you need solidified flame as well.

Other than that, its looking pretty awesome

--------------------
"Damn Scots. They ruined scotland!"-Groundskeeper Willy, the Simpsons
Apprentice
Member # 5847
Profile #35
quote:

No, I had played through the early game 3 separate times.
Well, scratch one bright idea.
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #36
That artila will only appear when you accept the quest from the guard near north gate.

I found that tunic on the artila every time too.
Yes, some item drops are not 100%.
But some are. And I believe this artila is one of them.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #37
Two things, first of all if you are carrying lankan's canister and talk to him you aren't forced to either give it to him or kill all the rebels; destroying it makes them hostile but you can run away and exit the zone and no one outside that zone will notice they went hostile, and you can still first give norrell's message and get an experience reward for destroying the calming stone before the canister triggers.

Secondly, you note that if you give him the canister you can leave the island at your leisure, but you can also leave at your leisure if you kill lankan (diwaniya is so horrified he wants you off the island), so you don't have to destroy the spawners to get to dhonal's island as a loyalist.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #38
Just noticed the recipies section is messed up and you are missing one of the ingrediants for each artifact.

--------------------
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #39
The recipes section is actually designed to look like that- namely the two critical ingredients are above and below the perfected item. I did this so that people can see the choices they have for the artifacts. However, I can see how it would be confusing. I will add some text describing this better.

An update with most of this info will be followed up with tomorrow. Thank you all!

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #40
A few more things to point out or pieces of advice:

In the school, do NOT insult Therese and when you talk to her upstairs she will give you some item (I forget what) when you ask her for supplies. If you insulted her she mentions so when you ask. (though the insult is true as she is too cowardly to help fight any more rogues.

In the gatherer camp, when I had them disarm the mines for me it still allowed me to disarm them for exp, they just didn't trigger when I got near.

If you have 8 or higher leadership you can convince Diawaniya to provide reinforcements to attack the rogues. This will cause a battle alpha, a glaak, and a roamer to appear near the supply cache in the infested pathway that will follow you around and fight for you, and will continue to do so in the madness mire.

The reward for fixing the shaping vat isn't just the living tools, you also get an essence pod.

There is an alternate quest for the papers from the research notes from the shed near fort wilton from a person in the Bulwark inn, which causes the door with the recipies and valuable items to be unlocked, and he implies you may see him later (who he is aligned with and what he wants the papers for he refuses to tell you, and he disappears if you give the other guy the papers).

On south Dhonal road, when you talk to the group of 3 serviles multiple times you can expose them as rouges (I think you need to talk to the differently colored one after noticing one of them say they were "happy to help" which is unusual for a servile to say) by causing him to make a gesture allowing you to see his armor. Killing them satisfies Celeste's quest but I forget the reward. If you are pro rebel after finding them you still get some experience but not the reward by claiming there weren't any rogue serviles.

After clearing the Mountain Pass ambush, return to the area later and there will be a guard there who can give you an item enhancement gem.

Sciolino in the Inner keep will upgrade Alwan's sword for 800(I think, might have been a hundred higher or lower), or free if you have sufficient leadership and have recieved a mission from Rahul.

Edit: I found that you can sneak into the room with the servant mind controlling the golems (walk in when the person who repairs the golems back is turned and close the door, leaving creations outside so you know when to reopen it and come back out, as if he sees you twice the town goes hostile), and you can tell it to "make it so the golems will never attack me" and it says it is decreasing thier sense radius several times and gives you a few experience. Not sure what good this will do though.

Edit: you should note that strength increases stun resistance, dexterity acid resistance, intelligence mind resistance, and endurance poison resistance, that wearing armor will increase your fire cold and energy resistance by half as much as the armor % making many damage type resistance armors useless to hold on to in favor of higher armor or core stat boosting equipment.

Edit: Perhaps note that fire shaping is a better choice for rebels than loyalists as drayks are the only third tier creation you can't get without canisters or rebel trainers, you need to use 3 canisters to get cryodrayks (only other creation you need to use multiple canisters to get improved version is eyebeasts with 2) and drakons are the only 4th tier creation a loyalist can't get any points in other than from canisters, and ur-drakons are impossible for loyalists.

Edit: maybe advise that you can cast the semi-permanent blessing spells on all your creations provided you have enough essence to cast them once if there is an essence pool on the map or if you are willing to use a bunch of essence pods as casting them does not prevent you from restoring the used essence. This makes many difficult fights more manageable for shapers.

Edit: maybe note that terror vlish will actually NOT cause terror. thier ranged attack deals poison damage (only creation with that damage type, and many types of enemies, including but not limited to pylons and golems, fully resist it forcing you to use thier mellee attack or nothing), and poisons the enemy. Thier mellee also poisons but deals physical damage. However the amount of damage done by thier ranged attack seems quite high.

[ Monday, July 04, 2005 21:16: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6065
Profile #41
I also noticed that if you kill just lankan and the guards San Ru is very upset at you and the women at the bar gets mad at you for killing her husband. Kinda wierd.

--------------------
I like swords!
-Fighter
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #42
Weird and weird, most of those people knew the rebels, and did not want to solve it by violence, nor did the shaper of San Ru.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #43
Hi all, the FAQ has been updated. I've taken most peoples comments/additions up through Saturday and have added them.

Also, the layout is slightly improved- a bit more definition between sections. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

--------------------

Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #44
Another thing: the quest Stringer on the northshore bridge gives you isn't about the guards on the bridge, he tells you about them but that's not what you need to take care of to complete the quest and you can complete his quests and have him leave before dealing with them. He is concerned with the rogues in the infiltrated shore area. Of course when you reach him you will have almost certainly taken care of that already though. Also though you can get by the bridge guards without a fight with leadership, you should get significantly more experience by killing them.

Edit: Mass energize does bless and haste as you indicate, but it also heals everyone as well. This is like several spells unlike the description in the help file which says it shields you, not heals you. Also the blessing will last considerably shorter than with war blessing, and the haste shorter than speed as well, and is weak enough you need significantly more skill to avoid getting only a half strength haste (end up with 10 ap instead of 12).

Edit: just noticed your items section is missing the stats for the crystalline shroud.

Edit: Two things about the sea caves: If you have sufficient leadership you can get Aiglos to help you fight the rogues until the venomous artilla dies at which point he goes back. And one of the rooms in thier base you can enter without getting attacked that has an iron sword (strongest weapon on the island) on the ground you can steal with the creation trick.

Edit: just found you can get General Greiner to make it so the acid sprayers in acidic valley won't attack you after you bring him orders. However by doing so you miss out on the experience for disarming them.

Edit: you can also steal the items from rahuls private chambers safely even without permission. There is only one guard who will cause the keep to go hostile, and that is if he sees you beyond a certain doorway. However he patrols between the two different directions so you can sneak by him in either direction. you will have to fight the two Ur-glaaks, but they shouldn't be too difficult and won't get anyone else angry for doing so.

Edit: Sciolino also gives you some steel spines in addition to the discount for telling him about the anvil.

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:10: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #45
Dingy:

In the section where you write about what the best equipment is, it would be worthwhile to mention that it's helpful to keep any infiltrator items around to boost mechanics when picking locks, disarming traps, etc. I usually keep anything with a leadership bonus too, just for those special situations when a few more points will open a door or unlock another dialogue option.

Parry maxes out at a certain % to block an attack - either around 25% or 13%. Still, I found it an invaluable skill.

In the Searer section, I'd mention that the acid damage really hurts golems too.

Again, Acid Shower helps a lot with golems.

Mental Barrier helps with weak creations (and Alwan and Greta) trying to fight off a lot of Vlish.

The Charisma effect can be achieved through item use too, so it's basically useless, although augmenting it with items could make it very helpful in rare occasions.

Pyroroamers explode when destroyed, and they're generally used like grenades. Not worth it, IMO.

Plated Clawbugs have 10 AP and can attack twice. Pretty nice.

Artilas and Searing Artilas can be quite strong at high levels, and used in combination with Vlish are nearly unstoppable in the early-mid game.

With the fourth tough fight in the testing grounds, I like to spread out to the corners so that only two pylons max can damage you at a time. Also, placing creations in the corners before triggering the fight will help end it quickly.

That's all for now.

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 13:10: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #46
You may want to fix the typo where you describe where the infiltrator's vest is and misspell it in the purificaton plant as that can cause someone to search the document for it and not find it and wonder where it is.

Edit: also in the item stats section it is missing stats for the infiltrator's vest and only says "infiltrator's" instead of infiltrator's vest.

Edit: also maybe you should list the weights of items. This is useful as some characters may need to equip +strength equipment merely to be able to equip what they wear plus some useable items, and wearing an item that is a few pounds lighter may help eliminate the need for a point of strength.

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 19:23: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #47
Weight is a great idea, but probably something I'm not going to be able to do at present since it's been a pain finding all those items a second time, and a third will probably drive me crazy. Although if it comes down to it, I could just look up the scripts.

Hopefully the item list will be straightened up a bit shortly, and will look better in the next version.

--------------------

Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #48
A few notes about searing artilla:

For some reason they are immune to poison for whatever little that's worth.

They have an abnormally high level at creation, only creations with higher level are third and fourth teir creations and terror vlish, so if you make one as soon as you reach san ru and keep it alive it will likely be high enough level that it will be as high a level as new creations you could make by the time you get third tier creations available and higher level than anything you will otherwise make on harmony isle (you can make terror vlish after getting a canister at the rebel camp, but due to thier damage being poison type they are useless in very many battles.)

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #49
People wanted to know where to find the Blasted Vambraces. They're in Benerii-Eo Vat Core.

--------------------
====
====

Pages