FAQ/walkthrough is up

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: FAQ/walkthrough is up
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #50
You may want to clarify that in the inner plant the non-hostile golems turn hostile after you walk past a certain point, and that by talking to them you can use up a living tool on each one to deactivate it so it won't turn hostile (may require mechanics?)

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #51
You can use a tool? Wow. How much XP does that give? I just attack them one by one.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #52
Here are some extra tips. (If you want to add them to the tips section of your FAQ.)

General Tips
1. Explore hostile areas in combat mode. This has several advantages:

i) Lets you see enemies before they see you. (Especially if you never spend all movement points and let your scouts retreat whenever they see an enemy.)

ii) Lets your blessing spells last through several fights.

iii) Lets you explore the area more quickly, with different creations exploring different parts of the map.

General Combat Tips
(What to do if you keep getting killed.)

1. Blessing and Protection spells make a huge difference. Use them for most battles to save yourself a lot of pain (and healing spores).

2. Speed is essential for difficult battles. However, Shapers with many creations will find Mass Energize to be more cost-effective for speeding up their entire party.

3. Many missile creatures (pylons, serviles with acid batons, etc.) are a lot less dangerous at close range. So when you are dealing with a group of them, send a creature to stand next to each one, while you kill them one at a time. Thahd Shades are ideal for this because of their high defense and poison resistance.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #53
It only gave me one exp for doing that, but I had already done almost the entire rest of the island at that point so it would probably be higher if you do it at a lower level. I presume when designing that Jeff just didn't expect people to force attacking them and wanted people to either fight all 3 at once or use tools.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #54
Killing them one by one (attack them without passing the rune) gives around 60 XP per kill. Totally worth it.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #55
Also you may want to erase that comment about Macallan's training being invaluable to loyalists. everything she teaches other than leadership, mechanics, and mellee weapons can be trained cheaper by either Vandrin, Gretchen, or Khyryk, and few people reach that point without any investment in leadership and mechanics, and the only reason you won't have any points in mellee weapons is if you are using a ranged weapon or are a shaper and are just using the guardian claymore for its stat boosts.

Edit: not sure if its certain, but the jailed battle alpha in Display Warrens dropped a golden crystal.

Edit: Somehow I got the Display Warrens to go cleared after first killing the pylons before deactivating them. Not sure how it happened, but here's what I did: I killed all the pylons up to the rotgroth, then went and told the servant mind to shut them off. I killed the rest of the pylons and went off to khyrk, and as it was the only path I had been through on the way back I walked through from the west and on the way I flipped the switches. I never got a clear message but when I exited the other side it was then green.

Edit: to see what was in the central building there I slaughtered the serviles there when I first arrived but didn't keep the game save. I do remember though that someone (possibly elek, I forget though) dropped a charm of mental focus, which did stack with the one I already had, and killing elek caused a message about how you can't consider to have won a victory yet until you find someone else to take over.

Edit: though there is no reward for mentioning Phasia to Corrie it gives you some experience.

Edit: Macallan will leave if you tell her you've met Khyryk, though you get no reward you get some experience, but as she leaves you can no longer train there.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 13:52: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #56
Haven't seen this info anywhere, so I'll write it down.
In the Monastery of Tears, cave section.

SW corner - crystalline fiber, reviving crystal, purified essence
Creator drops omincharm and deep focus orb
West edge - shaper true chitin
Cabinet near East edge - golden crystal

And I hate that level.

*this message brought to you courtesy of haste, bless, and luck*

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #57
Well according to the hintbook about the monastery caves "This area contains the most difficult foes in the game and is mainly useful as a way of testing your characters and seeing how tough they are", so while it seems you would want to go through there to get the really powerful items inside, if you are capable of getting through it you can go through any other area without them, just like the inner crypt in Geneforge 1.

Edit: Jolana in the Breeding caverns can upgrade Alwan's weapon for 4k, or if you have sufficient leadership only 2k.

Edit: And if you enter Jolana's room it makes her hostile but you get cryoaskin vambraces and a mandrake tincture, and she drops a fibrous breastplate.

Edit: Perhaps you should note that the "Confusing Touch" on the frozen blade means it curses your target.

Edit: and also note that the "Rotting touch" on the oozing blade makes it both deal acid instead of physical damage, and makes it slow the target.

Edit: and although you say to use minor heal when not in combat, major heal actually heals slightly more hp per point of essence (though heal does less, and that does not take into account how many levels you know the spell at).

Edit: and when Jolana upgrades Alwan's blade it makes it cover enemies with acid.

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 20:38: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #58
You should also mention that the servile cultmaster in the cultist freehold drops a key which opens a few doors in the area which otherwise require a significant number of living tools, so you may want to kill him before wasting tools on locked doors there.

Edit: and pehaps you should mention that to get the maximum amount of gold for selling items, many stackable items are best sold in multiples of 2, or sometimes 3 (for instance, a single thorn gives 2 gold, 2 thorns 5 gold, while you can't sell individual lamps selling 2 gives 1 gold, while selling 4 gives 3 gold). Basically items give 1/4 of thier value, but always rounded down so if the value of a stackable item isn't a multiple of sell multiples of 4 at a time (though in half the cases a multiple of 2 is sufficient). This may not seem like much but could easily amount to over a thousand gold over the course of the game.

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 13:35: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #59
A few things. It is easier to kill everything in an area clearing it completely. This way you can walk around and pick up everything in the area without being attacked. There is no weight limit for carrying stuff if you are not in combat mode other than moving really slow.

The best thing to do with Lankan's canister is to give it the Purity Agent in Dhonal's keep. This way you can go back and visit the rebel camp without being attacked. A strategy for taking everything in the forbidden area in the rebel camp is to haste your main character and run into the different areas, sealing the doors behind you. Once the door is sealed, you take all the stuff. Run the to the next door enter and close door behind you. If you time it right, you can empty all the rooms without having to fight the rebels. You also can get both the swamp maps and wooden ring this way.

Another thing about running for stuff. It is possible to enter both Lord Rahul's chamber to take his stuff, as well as enter the side chamber with a charm of mental focus if you time your characters movement right.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:30: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #60
As for sneaking around the rebel camp, I did that while not in combat mode though it took a fair amount of reloading. Remember that if the guards are facing the other way you can often get fairly close without them seeing you.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #61
Not very hard to sneak into both palces. In Rebel camp you even get to be spotted by the guard once before she sounds an alarm.

BTW: Allot of characters are noted as "she", but still got male human-guard graphics. That kinda blow, and should be changed.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #62
In the Spire woods in the supply cache, with the cache that you can destroy for the rebel quest, you seem to be able to take an unlimited amount of meat and fruit, leading to potentially unlimited gold. Of course that gives you 1 gold worth each time you examine it so it would take an extremely long time to get a significant amount.

I noticed in the hint book it says there is a third canister of create drakon in icy end, but it does not seem to be, in fact, present. This leads me to believe a mistake was made in design resulting in ur-drakons being impossible to make.

Also, though I see you haven't written the part about the Mushroom cave yet, it seems worth pointing out as the detail could easily be missed that you are not required to feed the servant mind if you have sufficient leadership skill and tell it to focus.

Edit: and as I mentioned earlier, if you kill the serviles in stonespire before freeing agatha you get a charm of mental focus and some other items that you do not otherwise get. If you do this it makes all the serviles but not all the humans hostile. The only humans to go hostile are Corrie and the guy who gives you the journal quest (probably a bug, he certain sounds loyal when you talk to him). However if you then free Agatha that guy goes friendly again so if you decide to do this just don't walk into sight of him so you don't have to kill him. Also the Drakon in the southeast drops quicksilver chitin (not that you'd want to wear it if you have emerald chestguard or crystalline shroud). I noticed when you do this when you ask agatha what happened to the people who were there she doesn't mention the drakon if you killed him, but still mentions killing corrie.

Tested battle roar and found its effects: heals your group (a bit less than mass energize or group heal does), cure effects including mental ones, and blesses and protects with the same duration of the blessing and hasting of mass energize (less than the duration of protection and war blessing). Since if you can cast this you are unlikely to go into a serious battle without starting by casting mass energize, it is only useful if you want to follow that by both protecting and curing some damage in a single spell. Otherwise it will both cost less energy and essence and give a longer protection and larger heal by casting protection followed by mass restore. If you are limiting yourself to 6 canisters you would probably not want to use a canister of this even though it is the only canister only spell, and if you do learn it there are few times it would be a good idea to cast.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 18:42: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #63
An update was submitted and should be posted shortly to GameFAQs. Many thanks to all who have been helping. I've reached a lull in my playing, mainly because the rebel path isn't that great- a rebel-only trainer would have made my day. As it is, my canister-crazed loyalist guardian was much more powerful. Oh well. I'll continue ASAIFLI. About three more areas still need descriptions.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #64
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Haven't seen this info anywhere, so I'll write it down.
In the Monastery of Tears, cave section.

SW corner - crystalline fiber, reviving crystal, purified essence
Creator drops omincharm and deep focus orb
West edge - shaper true chitin
Cabinet near East edge - golden crystal

And I hate that level.

*this message brought to you courtesy of haste, bless, and luck*
I'm stuck at the monastery of tears, I'm in front of the door upper at right (I suppose which leads to caves) but the door doesn't open... I don't find anything about this problem in the FAQ. What do I need to open it ?

:( :( :( :(

[ Thursday, July 14, 2005 03:06: Message edited by: Paulette ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #65
A forgotten ring! I have never seen it mentioned on the boards before, and It is not in the FAQ list over useful Items and rings, so here it goes: As I was finishing my Rebel Agent, and was locked into Rahul's dungeon, I found the Forbidden Band (On a "Maddened Shaper", even though he looked like a servile. He is locked up in a detainment room in the northen part of the prison. The band gibves +1 to all primary stats, something I found more intresting and useful than my current Avengers Ring.

There are still secrets to be found in Geneforge 3, apparently.

Edit: And even though whoever has played through the Rebel quest has seen this allready, it is worth to mention that Warden Chadwick has an Agent's Shelter, but the sheild is inferior to Essence Aegis.

Edit:..And an imprisoned Shapert in the SW carries a Shaper's Boon ring. He dies after some 200hp, a real pushover.

[ Saturday, July 16, 2005 06:22: Message edited by: Contra ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #66
According to the hintbook, there is also a quicksilver bulwark and a gazerskin sandals there (probably included so both rebels and loyalists could get them as they are both dropped off of characters a rebel wouldn't kill.) Also though I never found it there it says there is supposed to be a demon fang talisman in the monastery caves. And since I couldn't find it and I can't find any mention of it in your items in the faq I have no idea what the stats are or if it even exists after all (wouldn't be the only mistake in the hintbook).

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #67
Here goes. When you kill Akhari blaze, the best way to kill him is to change the settings for all of the summoning platforms. It is my favorite ending for Akhari Blaze. He quickly runs into a corner and is surrounded by the summoned critters. I like the statement he makes as well.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #68
Then again, when I fought akhari blaze I killed him in one and a half rounds so the summoned creatures didn't even get a chance to attack him (I was a shaper with alwan, an ur-glaak, a rotdhizon, a gazer, and an eyebeast. Except alwan all were over level 35, some over level 40, half of which had attacked the second round when he died). However the agent from the besieged camp ended up getting in one hit for 20 something damage. Of course I suppose it might have been tougher on torment or if you were playing an agent or guardian, in which case the summoning platform switch + the loyalist from the besieged camp would then make it pretty hard to lose.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #69
Hmmm... didn't see anyone mention this and didn't see it in the FAQ (except as a mention that you would talk more about this quest later, but I never saw the later)...anyway...

You can kill Kamoa on the Island of Spears. If you helped her with the 2 previous quests, you find her at the Southern Gates and she's all ticked off at you b/c "you did this" to her. Essentially, she used the stuff you gave her to try to shape herself. I'm not sure if she was trying to join or kill the drakons, but they rejected her. You get some experience for convincing her not to attack you, a tiny bit more if you just kill her (and the things she summons) , or you can convince her to leave you alone and then attack her anyway (as I did -- no one talks to me like that!) :mad:

Anyway, when you kill her she drops a Shaper's Boon.

Also, it might be worth noting that when doing Komoa's 2nd quest, "Find the journal halves", you can actually complete it with her 1st, then go to the shopkeeper who wanted it back and give it to him. Due to a bug, talking to Komoa first didn't remove the journal half items from my special items inventory.
(I dunno what happens if you do it in reverse order, presumably, Komoa is displeased with you and attacks you then.)

Pages