Alwan is a disgrace

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Alwan is a disgrace
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
That's it, I've had it with this wretched wanna-be Guardian. I've tried really hard to like him. I've carried him on my back through all these zones of havoc, paid for his training and his equipment, and buffed him constantly with magic. He has over four hundred health points. But can he hold on to them? No, he cannot. A strong breeze practically wipes him out. He talks big, and he does hit okay (after all I've done for him); but he simply can't take the heat.

He ran off in the middle of battle in Icy End, crying about how badly wounded he was, leaving me to take all those Drayks and Glaahks and Rotghroths all by myself. Which I did. And I am not going all the way back to the reeking Bulwark Inn now, just to have the pleasure of nursing him through the next little tussle.

Greta was different. Greta was cool. Greta was worth taking care of, because she could usually take care of herself.

Alwan is a toad.

Any disagreements?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 47 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=trUaqyaaiOQi"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=trUaqyaaiOQi"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 384
Profile #1
If he had some kind of ranged attack (baton, like the warriors that fight with you on Dhonal Island), then he might be worth it. Maybe if he got better and better damage reduction as he levelled, then it would make sense for him to be pure melee.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
I completely agree, and have said similar things from time to time. He always dies before Greta, even when they have equal HP. His complete lack of ranged attacks makes him fairly useless against creations that like to shoot and run. As a guardian he should have both a sword and javelins.

While playing a Shaper I expect the Guardian to protect me, but I had to take care of him. I like Greta's more liberal standpoint better anyways.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #3
I donno what i did to get him good but he was a real help when i kept him with me.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #4
quote:
I have severe issues with Alwan. There are dialog points where it says that Alwan grasps his baton angrily, but he has no baton. No means of any sort of ranged attack what so ever. Greta has both melee and ranged covered. Alwan seems to be good at one thing. Dying. Even Augmented and fully buffed, he goes down to quickly for my liking on Torment. I can make creations tougher than he is. For being so close to becoming a true shaper, he has no quick action or parry at all. He is a liability. He should have at least had a baton as a ranged option, with a chance to upgrade later to something a little better. Keeping him alive is at best, an irritation and distraction.
Told you so. Alwan sucks monkey balls. I have said all this before. He both sucks and blows.

He's a worthless piece of offal.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Yeah, but I was in denial. I kept hoping Alwan's inadequacy in a ranged game would be less trouble for melee Guardian. And he actually was able to close with the enemy alongside me, and get in a swat or two. He just couldn't take more than a couple of hits, on Torment, despite his hundreds of Health, and generous rations from me of Armor Potions and Augmentations. A ranged attack would make him too hard to distinguish from Greta in behavior, for my taste. But he really needs some better armor.

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #6
I have fully buffed Alwan with Steel Skin, Augmentation, pretty much every buff one could muster and he still dies. With ease. I have seen Battle Alphas last longer than he does. I have seen THAHDS that last longer than he does.

Greta has him in by leaps and bounds. Come endgame, she has a mass kill attack. She can really thin down the incoming mobs. Alwan can do no such thing, other than just stand there, look stupid, and DIE.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #7
I agree that little ***** did nothing for me. Eventually I just let him die for good. I believe it was at Dhonal's keep when I was stealing stuff, he gave up pleading he was overly hurt or some such rubbish. So I went back to the Inn and dropped Alwan with my own sword. What's up now! :cool:

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 5767
Profile #8
When I was playing as a loyalist Shaper Alwan did alright,
once you get him his acid dripping sword and a mass Energize then he can really take things out quickly, and a Major heal every few turns, mind you I also had to powerful creations with me also.

--------------------
Death is just an engineering problem.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #9
That's why he was good for me.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
Could be an issue of difficulty level. On Torment, my high Parry, good armor, and life-stealing sword let me go toe-to-toe with squads of bad guys without getting more hurt than I can handle with the occasional pod. Alwan lacks these advantages, so the massive damages that get dealt out on Torment wear him down really fast. And his own attacks, while decent enough, never take his enemies down before they land a hit or two on him. (And my incarnation of Alwan is pretty much maxed: all abilities maxed out, and he has come all the way to Icy End, mostly with just me for company, so his level is about as high as it can get.)

For ordinary little battles, I could either leave him out until the end, or retire him around a corner after the first round, then heal him up. But for major engagements where the enemies kept coming, I couldn't keep healing him fast enough and survive myself, and there was nowhere for him to hide.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #11
I agree with Lord Nargil. I took Alwan with my shaper and he was often my only creation. There were definately times when his melee-only style was a pain in the arse, but for the most part, if I buffed him w/ Aug and Stone skin, threw a heal or 2 his way, he was a great meat shield for me while I tossed some spells into the general fray.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Why in God's name were you using a Shaper with no creations?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #13
Well, mostly b/c Alwan was enough for a lot of it. Any time I hit a tough spot I usually created a big bad glaahk (or ur-glaahk) or several vlishes and a big thahd. Of course, once I hit the monastery, I had to bring out a pair of Gazers, b/c at that point Alwan *is* a useless wimp.
Mostly it's my playing style -- I'm not a fan of sitting on the bleachers hoping like hell my team wins and takes care of all the big-baddies before they wander over to sample the taste of my limbs. I like to jump in and help. To do that, I need some of my essence for dropping essence orbs and searers into the mix.
Essentially, I played a shaper weaker in shaping and stronger in spells than most people do. I went for a "well-rounded" approach.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Ever tried an Agent? If you can give up shaping entirely, it might be more your style.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #15
Yeah, I like the Agents the best. But... I found them a little too easy. I took my agent and used lots of blessing buffs and then went in and took stuff out hand-to-hand.
(And I also tried making a Guardian who could toss spells, but by the middle of game he was a pathetic wuss who kept getting is *ss handed to him until I pumped his melee up and went back to some tried and true.)
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #16
I agree with all of you, Alwan sucks. I honestly hated him. He was such a wimp; He is supposed to be a Guardian for God's sake. It didn't take long until I let him die. He is def not worth the shared experience.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #17
Well, to be fair, he might be somewhat better at lower difficulties.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #18
I find low-level creations comparable to Alwan.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #19
I was playing tricky and he was as good as a rotghroth.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
Maybe that's my problem: I've never been able to get any creations to keep up with my Guardians, either. I think maybe it's because the Agent-style speed tactics are entirely sufficient for beating the game with a solo Guardian, if you pump your personal combat stats enough, but they're incompatible with caring for creations.

I mean, my solo canister-free Guardian just whacked Akhari Blaze toe-to-toe on Torment, using 18 AP, a life-draining Claymore, and a number of Steel Spines. This has convinced me that solo melee Guardians are as capable in G3 as ever. Even my Agent had more trouble with Akhari, because he had her beat on Quick Action and she couldn't stand a single hit from him. My Guardian just shrugged off all his attacks and kept trimming him down. I have yet to see how he fares against the Alpha Creator, but I expect he'll be fine. He has built up enough Mech to shut off the Monastery Caves spawners.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5796
Profile #21
can we be careful with name dropping which are kinda spoilers? just a simple <spoilers> warning would be nice. thanks.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #22
Hmm how much mechanics does it take to shut off those spawners again? I recall doing it once... But I don't remember. I think I had somewhere around 15 mechanics plus some items.

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #23
Ah, I was forgetting that we now have an influx of new Windows players. But I don't think mentioning those few cryptic names is really much of a spoiler. Anyone who even knows what they might mean knows enough to already know that things like that are bound to be in the game somewhere.

Here, though, is a SPOILER answering DV's question:
It takes a Mech of 20. I'm planning to bring every doggone Mech-raising item in the game in with me in my backpack, and put them all on just for the spawner job. That's +2 each from Tinker's Gloves and Infiltrator's Ring, and +1 each from Infiltrator's Charm, Shield, Vest, and Cloak, and +1 from Tinker's Bauble, for a total of +9. So you only really need a measly Mech of 11.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5880
Profile #24
Why are you all complaining? You get what you pay for!

Pages