Alwan is a disgrace

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Alwan is a disgrace
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #25
I only got GF3's demo 3 days ago, and I've kept both him and Great with me. The Game's set to Tricky, but he's still okay. I've reached the end of the demo, but for now at least he's been worth his keep. All you have to do is War Bless and Protection him and Greta. At this stage, I'm finding that Greta dies more than he does. But I just go back and pick them up again. The real problem I face is keepin both of those two happy.

Also, a question...

In the Testing Grounds place, how do you do that "Special" training thing. I got the braceletty ring thing (looks like Sharon's Bracelet to me), but I can't do anything with it after I stood on that pedestal.

Is it even possible in the Demo?

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #26
To be honest, i found alwan to be quite useful in battle.
What i did was put all his points into endurance, and had the rest of the party do all the damage. So,
maybe some of us arent using him right.....

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #27
I have had Alwan with every single one of his stats raised to the max.

So... That line about not using him right?

He dies to easily in torment. That's all there is.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #28
I think this is it: Activate it, go North and kill the Golem. Go back and stand on the pedistal again, go North and kill something new?

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #29
First thing... If you are playing on torment, anything you have can die very quickly. And, about using him right, i meant tactically, if he dies easily, then have some battle creations go in first, take a beating, then have Alwan go in. I really havent found him to be that weak.

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Ald:

Why are you all complaining? You get what you pay for!
Alwan is at the same educational level as the PC, and he sucks. Greta doesn't suck, and she got kicked out of school before completing her training.

Edit: what happened to the post I quoted? I was here a minute ago, no really it was :confused:

[ Saturday, June 04, 2005 11:52: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5880
Profile #31
It is obvious that a follower, which development can barely be directed, won't be as effective as the PC. You should praise the developers for making Greta that strong. But you complain instad. What a bunch of ungrateful
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

Alwan is at the same educational level as the PC, and he sucks. Greta doesn't suck, and she got kicked out of school before completing her training.
:

Actually, Alwan has surpassed your training level. You are basically a kicking-boy/girl in the school, for which punishment you are allowed to read the texts and gets some mental training.

But Alwan, and I don't have the time to get the actual quote, is said to be "almost finished with his training to become a guardian".

Greta, it seems to me, also received a bit more training than you (or roughly equal), but was kicked out for her beliefs, not her abilities.

I think it comes down to the fact that you, even as an apprentice, show great potential. And this potential is brought to the fore by the simple fact that you have 2 choices, grow in strength or die trying.
Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #33
But as a Guardian, Alwan should be able to:

use ranged weapons and batons, use magic (maybe), buff me, heal me, use items, wear armor/robes/belts/etc, pick locks, disable mines, carry my stuff so-that-I-won't-be-bogged-down-all-the-time, and finally, SHAPE!

The fact that he can do none of these things means that he should be pretty good at doing the one thing that he does do: i.e., being a melee tank. He is not.

On a side note, does anyone know how to edit him? I really want to take him, but he doesn't fit my playing style :(
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #34
Alwan would be okay, I think, if he were just given some armor upgrades as well as melee. A baton might also help, but he has to have weaker ranged attack than Greta, and stronger melee, or he isn't different enough from her to be interesting.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #35
Greta can do as much physical damage as he does. He does get a weak acid attack later.

Alwan is a plonker.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #36
okay well, I gave Alwan a baton. And I'm much much happier with him now :D

If any of you are interested in that, edit: gf3itemschars.txt

Under Alwan's entry, change:
cr_abil_num 1 = -1;

to:
cr_abil_num 1 = 50;

[ Monday, June 06, 2005 22:39: Message edited by: Travers ]
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #37
Thankyou for that Travers, Alwan is much more useful now with a baton and a sword plx.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5901
Profile #38
Thank You!!! are there any other weapons alwan can use??
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
If you mess around with that ability number, you can get him to use all sorts of crazy abilities. On one hand, it's cheating. On the other, Alwan really, really needs help.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages