NOOOO!!!!!!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: NOOOO!!!!!!!!
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #0
Oh my god, I was cleaning out my PC the other day so I could have more space on my hd. Just after I emptied the recycle bin, I realized that I had no backups for all my three Geneforge games! Am I screwed?

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Re-download the demos and e-mail Jeff for new registration keys. You'll get the games back.

Your saves may be gone forever, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
You should come over to the mac side. We have file recovery programs. Windows doesn't have those?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
Are you running Windows Me or better? Because you can use System Restore to restore those files, assuming you have a restore point before the incident.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Apprentice
Member # 5876
Profile Homepage #4
The "come over to mac side" sounded like "join the evil side! ... We got cookies!"

:D

Sry this is totally OOC... :P
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #5
Don't worry, its all cool. Jeff is the shiz.

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #6
I assume you are talking about your save games; therefore system restore won't help at all (it doesn't backup the entire file system, just the operating system components). Unless you actively took steps to back them up, they are gone forever. But - this is a perfect excuse to play all the games again. Rejoice!

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #7
I have a bona fide, garuanteed solution:

1. Get a Mac. With OS X.
2. Install whatever Spidweb games you like.
3. Make a backup of your system.
4. If you don't want to make a giant backup, make copies of the "save" folders in the Geneforge data folder. I'm pretty sure that those are the saved games.
5. Enjoy.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #8
I, too, have a solution: When you buy the games, get them on CD. That way, you'll always have a backup copy on hand.

But if Micawber's right and you only lost your save games, get yourself an undelete utility; there are quite a few good ones, even those that are freeware. (This might even work if you actually meant the whole games.) A word of caution, though: the recovered files might be corrupted.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Apprentice
Member # 7551
Profile #9
A similar problem, any suggestions. I do hope this is the right place and apologies beforehand if it isn't. A rather strange problem with a game in progress in GF3. I have the GF series (1/2/3) installed on my G4 in OS9.2 and no problems ever. Today I left San Ru heading west and got the 'big red' question mark indicating an unregistered copy. Say what?, I had already entered my key and have never had this happen. I go to re-enter my key and get the infamous 'incorrect key' window. Any ideas regarding this glitch and possible solution? Thanks in advance

--------------------
"What is that thing, really, hanging from the front of your face servile?"
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #10
I just realized this should be in Tech Support.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Er, you may have to e-mail Jeff on this one. His first piece of advice will probably be to download a new copy and e-mail him for a new reg key.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #12
Macs are far from the answer. I assure you that you need not spend thousands of dollars on gawdy bauble with blinking lights.

From what you describe you simply emptied out your Recycling Bin instead of Shuft+Deleting your items. If so, recovery should be pretty easy. Take a few minutes to search Google or download.com for a program (possibly like this one) that allows you to recover deleted files. Use said program to get your files back.
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Eugi:

From what you describe you simply emptied out your Recycling Bin instead of Shuft+Deleting your items. If so, recovery should be pretty easy. Take a few minutes to search Google or download.com for a program (possibly like this one) that allows you to recover deleted files. Use said program to get your files back.
Undelete utilities are not entirely reliable, and the question you are answering has not been in need of an answer for some time.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #14
Um sawtooth, you do relize that the post before yours is over a month old?
You shouldn't post on a dead topic.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
As topic revivals go, that one wasn't so bad; it was at least vaguely related to the original topic, and contained a new question.

Also, stop trying to be a freaking mod. You suck at it, okay?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
For anyone who needs reminding, the relevant rule is that it is generally considered polite to leave a dead topic alone unless you have something genuinely new and useful to add to it, such as answering a question that never got answered — Imban revived a dead topic recently for such a purpose — or posing a new, related one (as in this thread).

I think the question posed here has been answered, but I'll leave this thread open anyway, more out of whim and caprice than for any particular reason.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

Um sawtooth, you do relize that the post before yours is over a month old?
You shouldn't post on a dead topic.

Um IFM, you do realize that you are not a moderator of this forum, so your post is at best spam and at worst a violation of the forum rules? We have moderators here for a reason. The reason is to prevent every arrogant newbie from trying to enforse his own version of the Code of Conduct. (And your version of rules isn't even close to the official one, considering that we've never had a rule against topic necromancy, but we do have a rule against harassing other members, which is what you are doing here.)

[ Thursday, March 22, 2007 07:54: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #18
Nalyd had the same problem as Sawtooth. He couldn't figure out what was causing it for the longest time, but it turns out that the little "Emergency Restart" button unregisters all of your Spiderweb games for some reason. Jeff is very nice about these things, Nalyd had to email him at least 4 times for each of his games!

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #19
That's why I get the games on CD when I buy them. It makes things so much easier when I have to re-register. Plus, I always keep a spare copy of the DAT file containing my registration info, just in case.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #20
Well, Nalyd tried that, but that evil little button also randomly changed the registration numbers! Just goes to show you, the "Emergency Button" isn't even worth it in emergencies.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #21
Hence the spare copy of the DAT file. I just copy the spare over the original, and poof! I have a registered copy again!

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7551
Profile #22
Two quick thank yous are in order. First to those of you that put me in the right direction. Jeff sent a new key and second; thanks to the moderator for leaving this thread open so I could give my thanks. :D

--------------------
"What is that thing, really, hanging from the front of your face servile?"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
w00t occasionally I do something right! :P

--------------------