Geneforge 1 carnisters?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge 1 carnisters?
Apprentice
Member # 7733
Profile #0
Howdy... I'm new to the forum though not new to the Spiderweb games, have played demos of Exiles in the early days, and my first registered game was Geneforge 2... Later have it become to a bunch of games, and now is it only Geneforge 4 and 1, I haven't bought yet... I have tried the demo for Geneforge 1, and got a little surprised with the way I'm getting spells and creations... I'm usually playing a strict loyal shaper, and that counts for the carnisters too... So I was thinking: Is there a way to complete the game, and achieve spells and abillities without using the carnisters?

--------------------
-I'm not evil, I'm just different in a more violent way
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
Not really. It is possible, but since without canisters you can't get any creations, or any magic other than one point in Firebolt, it isn't much fun. The conflict you're used to, between shaper loyalists and corrupt canister-abusers, has not yet started in G1. You're just a lone apprentice, stranded on a dangerous island, and you've never even heard of canisters before. You don't really have any choice but to use them.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #2
Edit: SoT said it all, and better.

That said, it IS possible to play as a non-cannister user. You just can't do very much :P I believe somebody did it once, and ended up as a level 5 Shaper.

[ Friday, December 08, 2006 08:46: Message edited by: Mozzolini xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Apprentice
Member # 7733
Profile #3
Thanks for the quick reply... I have a new question then... Will my use of carnisters, have any effect on the ending if I will stay as a loyalist?

--------------------
-I'm not evil, I'm just different in a more violent way
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Not at all.

Dikiyoba.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Mozzolini xx:

Edit: SoT said it all, and better.

That said, it IS possible to play as a non-cannister user. You just can't do very much :P I believe somebody did it once, and ended up as a level 5 Shaper.

Well, that was also a deliberate low-level game, and I'm pretty sure he had the common sense to use a Guardian. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
I think it was ET that played the no canister game and finished at level 5. There have been some no canister games and running as a guardian would be the easiest. There are some places to pickup skills without using canisters.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I think it was ET that played the no canister game and finished at level 5.
You think wrong. It was X, and it was quite some time ago -- before ET even joined.

[ Saturday, December 09, 2006 03:48: Message edited by: N-Rays ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
Just because I cheat doesn't mean I skip 99% of the game's content, which I imagine you would have to do to finish at level 5.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #9
Technically you could use an editor or trainer and save before every canister you use, then load and adjust the stat with the editor instead. This wouldn't make any difference in GF1, but I did this my 2nd time through GF3 in order to avoid doing stupid stuff without choosing to as a result of my canister abuse. The first time through I played as an agent and thus skipped shaping canisters, but still had negative effects later in the game. You know I'm actually playing through GF1 again myself and basically using everyone. First I joined the obeyers to get their stuff (I had high enough leadership to avoid any quests for any sects), then joined the awakened and gained their benefits, afterwards I made my way to Kazg and joined the takers and I'm still with them until I kill Trajkov and use the GF then I'll switch back to either Awakened or Obeyers. I would definately choose the Awakened except for my concern for the fate of the Sholai although don't they get killed between GF1 & GF2? (when the island is retaken or whatever)

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by The_Other_Guy:

Technically you could use an editor or trainer and save before every canister you use, then load and adjust the stat with the editor instead. This wouldn't make any difference in GF1, but I did this my 2nd time through GF3 in order to avoid doing stupid stuff without choosing to as a result of my canister abuse. The first time through I played as an agent and thus skipped shaping canisters, but still had negative effects later in the game. You know I'm actually playing through GF1 again myself and basically using everyone. First I joined the obeyers to get their stuff (I had high enough leadership to avoid any quests for any sects), then joined the awakened and gained their benefits, afterwards I made my way to Kazg and joined the takers and I'm still with them until I kill Trajkov and use the GF then I'll switch back to either Awakened or Obeyers. I would definately choose the Awakened except for my concern for the fate of the Sholai although don't they get killed between GF1 & GF2? (when the island is retaken or whatever)
GF 1 is great for power gaming. Join every sect, betray them all, use all canisters. Do everyone's quests, then kill them for their item drops. Buy 30 points of luck from Dig. Then kill Trajkov and use the Geneforge. Ultimately, I love GF 1 for its satisfying ending after you use the Geneforge and destroy it, even at the cost of your humanity. For canisters, in all GF games, I usually use all of them. I once played Loyalist in GF 3, and I got so bored of being unable to make great creations and casting half decent spells. In GF 1, you have to use canisters, because they're the only source of power for Shapers and Agents. Guardians will appreciate the bonuses of some canisters as well.

[ Sunday, December 10, 2006 10:14: Message edited by: GoodCanisters ]
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #11
You're all wimps. I once played through Geneforge 3 without even talking to anyone, nor attacking anything which used a total number of pixels greater than 50. I was using a Shaper, but I absolutely refused to train in Intelligence. Oh, and I had needles jammed into my "f" key, so I had to click the fight button manually every time.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Kuber:

You're all wimps. I once played through Geneforge 3 without even talking to anyone, nor attacking anything which used a total number of pixels greater than 50. I was using a Shaper, but I absolutely refused to train in Intelligence. Oh, and I had needles jammed into my "f" key, so I had to click the fight button manually every time.
Very possible. I would not distrust you, but I have 4 points/questions to ask.

1. Because you never talk to anyone, you don't need to increase leadership at all. That means a whole lot more points.

2. What difficulty were you playing? I have a hard time imagining this at torment.

3. You could have used DV's "cheap" vlish build. You don't need to increase intelligence that much, or at all.

4. You can't possibly win or even end the game without talking to anyone. You need to speak with Rahul or Akhari Blaze, finish their quests, and take a boat. No talking means no ending. You also need to make your opinion (rebel/shaper) before the leaders will trust you, so you have to talk even more :P

PS. I am not trying to be mean or insult you. I apologize in advance if this offends you in any way.

[ Sunday, December 10, 2006 13:15: Message edited by: GoodCanisters ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
It's always a little sad when people can't tell that others are making fun of them.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Alchemy:

It's always a little sad when people can't tell that others are making fun of them.
Ah, the confusion ensues. Now I've been dazed. However, I've seen nasty arguments on forums because of miscommunication, and I certainly do not want to start a war.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Originally by Rakshasi:

quote:
Oh, and I had needles jammed into my "f" key, so I had to click the fight button manually every time.
So what did you do when a combat started automatically? Did you run out of view, manually end the combat, manually start the combat, and run back into view again? :P

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by GoodCanisters:

quote:
Originally written by Alchemy:

Ah, the confusion ensues. Now I've been dazed. However, I've seen nasty arguments on forums because of miscommunication, and I certainly do not want to start a war.

Oh, don't worry. None of this is aimed at you. Not directly, anyway. ;)
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Rakshasi:

quote:
Oh, and I had needles jammed into my "f" key, so I had to click the fight button manually every time.
So what did you do when a combat started automatically? Did you run out of view, manually end the combat, manually start the combat, and run back into view again? :P

Dikiyoba.

I made an oath than whenever I automatically entered combat, I would drop all missile weapons and absorb all of my creations. So I tried to avoid that.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #17
Needles? Dare I ask?

Anyway, canisters in G1 are unavoidable, in G2 I think they're optional, and G3 they are certainly optional. G4, depends who you're with and what ending you want.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
From the needle/ferrets, I can only assume.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #19
Well no but some outsiders can teach you magic since they have a form of it and a servent mind can change you in G1.
(what is the best betwen a TM and a Kel)

[ Tuesday, December 19, 2006 09:18: Message edited by: opon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #20
Lord Macintosh, you're quite right about GF2. You can defeat the whole thing, even the "challenge" areas on Torment, without using a single canister. Whether this is worthwhile is a question of taste.
Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Alberich:

Lord Macintosh, you're quite right about GF2. You can defeat the whole thing, even the "challenge" areas on Torment, without using a single canister. Whether this is worthwhile is a question of taste.
Of course, just play a melee guardian. Pump your first 20 skill points into parry and QA, and let Shanti train you (+1 QA and parry). You'll start with a huge advantage.
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #22
I went the shaper/infiltrator way (and often found myself retreating at high speed while my creations fought on), but I don't doubt that it's possible with any class.