Random Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Random Questions
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #0
I just bought the trilogy, and have some random questions:
1) Is it possible to get an ending for G1 in which you rejoin the shapers (after destroying the Geneforge) where they don't distrust you? (ie, you don't get the "always wonder what might have been" thing). Similarly, is there a way to use the Geneforge without going insane?
2) I played G1 as a Shaper and just started G2 as a Guardian. The fyora I created at the beginning really sucks (he misses his shots as often as not, and I don't think that ever happened in G1). Is this because I'm a Guardian or because in G2 fyoras suck?
3) In G1 you can pause the game by hitting escape and then switch into some other applications. I haven't found a way to switch out of G2 yet; is there one?

Think that's it for now; thanks in advance for any answers. :)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

1) Is it possible to get an ending for G1 in which you rejoin the shapers (after destroying the Geneforge) where they don't distrust you? (ie, you don't get the "always wonder what might have been" thing). Similarly, is there a way to use the Geneforge without going insane?
I think so, but I haven't played it in a while.
quote:
2) I played G1 as a Shaper and just started G2 as a Guardian. The fyora I created at the beginning really sucks (he misses his shots as often as not, and I don't think that ever happened in G1). Is this because I'm a Guardian or because in G2 fyoras suck?
Both. Fyora, along with other creations, were going through a bit of re-balancing. Also, Guardians aren't as good as Shapers when it comes to making creations.
quote:
3) In G1 you can pause the game by hitting escape and then switch into some other applications. I haven't found a way to switch out of G2 yet; is there one?
If you're on Windows and have a certain keyboard, you can hit the Windows key (It's the weird little key with the flag-like Windows thing on it.) and it will minimize GF2. It can take a while, though.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #2
Thanks!
I'm on OS X, though, so Windows stuff is not so helpful in that regard. ;)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
Guardians aren't so hot at creations, but the new skill they get in G2 is rather too good.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 16:28: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #4
SNM, I think the answer is "no." In GF 1, you pretty well have to be a canister junkie to get through the game, and learn things the shapers Would Rather Not Have Known. I remember that there was some threshold point where I noticed the "extra" effect of the canisters on myself, and it was pretty deep in the game, but there had simply been no question of limiting my use to keep myself, you know, un-blue. (Lots of canisters have an effect similar to the Geneforge, but not as marked.) If the canisters are meth, the geneforge is crack, only more so. That's the fundamental conflict the game creates for you - the awesome power those things give you comes at a heavy price to your humanity. The Awakened want you to save them - by becoming something that scares them.

In the later games, by contrast, you can keep your canister virginity and still win. My first time through, I always do that.

If you're playing G2, you'll have occasion to meet people who've used lots of canisters or undergone similar processes, and you can see for yourself how they are affected. I won't spoil the surprises by telling you more.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Dikiyoba will agree with Alberich on question one. Dikiyoba believes that someone went through the game without canisters and still got the same ending.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
Eh, it's been a long time since I played GF1.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
I asked about GF1 during the summer and got the reply that Dikiyoba mentioned.

2) To improve a fyora you need a few levels of fire shaping before you make one. Otherwise you need to add essence to strength to have it hit more often and for more damage. You'll probably be better off waiting until Drypeak Warren (? )for training so you can get level 3 in fyora and make a cryoa instead.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Randomizer:

quote:
You'll probably be better off waiting until Drypeak Warren (? )for training so you can get level 3 in fyora and make a cryoa instead.
Drypeak Warrens is correct.

If you train first and then use the spellbook, you can get level 4 in fyora. Dikiyoba doesn't know if it makes much (if any) difference in the long run, but Dikiyoba still likes to have it.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #9
Dexterity makes you hit more, strength makes you hit harder.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

Dexterity makes you hit more, strength makes you hit harder.
Where did that come from?

Anyway, I get how the leveling system works, but thanks for that anyway. I've now played far enough that my Fyora is worth something.

Oh, and I knew I had another question: When I played the demos years ago I could have sworn I found a way to reload batons outside combat. Now the only way I can do it is in combat by using a turn. Help?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
Batons reload automatically in combat. I think you could go into fight mode when there is nothing around and target something with it to get it to reload, and then hit escape to cancel.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #12
Er, sorry.

Advice for your Fyora. Strength for damage, dexterity to boost to hit values.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Batons reload automatically in combat. I think you could go into fight mode when there is nothing around and target something with it to get it to reload, and then hit escape to cancel.
I don't believe that works. When there is nothing around there is no one to target, so...

GF1 and GF2/3 differ in how batons reload. In GF1 you always lose an attack turn when you reload. In GF2/3 you still get to attack when you reload.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #14
quote:

Think that's it for now; thanks in advance for any answers. :)

1) Yes, they can trust you if you don't use the Geneforge, and don't join any factions (and I think also if you kill Trajkov and Gottesch). And no, you'll always go insane if you use the Geneforge; I think I've found all possible endings, and there's no way around the insanity.

2) It's because you only know "Create Fyora" at level 1, and your fire shaping skill is probably level 1 also; therefore, your fyora will suck. Plus, the G2 creation engine is different from G1, so your fyora will suck for a longer period than in G1. There's nothing you really can do, except train in those skills to make stronger creations.

3) You don't need to pause to switch to other tasks; just hit alt-tab (works for me).

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #15
I hate to double-post, but I don't want to have to edit and create a single, massive reply.
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

If you train first and then use the spellbook, you can get level 4 in fyora. Dikiyoba doesn't know if it makes much (if any) difference in the long run, but Dikiyoba still likes to have it.
I do that type of thing too.

It makes some difference, but not that much. Your fyoras will start off at a higher level, and therefore have slightly better combat stats.

By the way, I think you can also do the same thing in the demo with clawbugs (but only to level 3 in the ability).
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Batons take an attack to reload in G1, and will also fire immediately afterwards in G2 & G3. What I do to reload in G1 (if I can't get to a friendly town) is go to an area with a neutral monster, and target it; otherwise (this applies to all Geneforge games), I just sell the empty baton and pick up a new one from the hoard I'll have collected by then.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

1) Yes, they can trust you if you don't use the Geneforge, and don't join any factions (and I think also if you kill Trajkov and Gottesch). And no, you'll always go insane if you use the Geneforge; I think I've found all possible endings, and there's no way around the insanity.
Okay, thanks a lot. I appreciate that. :) Kinda sucks about the insanity, though. It makes me angry that Trajkov is a stronger man than my character. :mad:

No wonder I was confused about the batons. I'd forgotten how much changed between G1 and G2.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #17
quote:

Okay, thanks a lot. I appreciate that. :) Kinda sucks about the insanity, though. It makes me angry that Trajkov is a stronger man than my character. :mad:

No wonder I was confused about the batons. I'd forgotten how much changed between G1 and G2.

Actually, I think Trajkov is as insane as your character, maybe more; it just doesn't show as much in the game.

As for the batons, I prefer how they fire in G2 & G3, because they don't require you to use a full turn, like I said before.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

Actually, I think Trajkov is as insane as your character, maybe more; it just doesn't show as much in the game.
Hmm, let's see, it doesn't show in the game. So basically, you have no grounds whatever to say that and you've made it up :P

Sorry, but I think the whole thing about Trajkov is that he is a stronger character than the PC; he can cope with the power of the Geneforge while you -- a mere apprentice -- cannot.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Micawber.:

quote:

Hmm, let's see, it doesn't show in the game. So basically, you have no grounds whatever to say that and you've made it up :P

Sorry, but I think the whole thing about Trajkov is that he is a stronger character than the PC; he can cope with the power of the Geneforge while you -- a mere apprentice -- cannot.

It's just my opinion, nothing more; that's why I said "I think." I do know it's possible to be crazy and hide it. And I still say he's nuts.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
Originally by The Mystic:

quote:
It's just my opinion, nothing more; that's why I said "I think." I do know it's possible to be crazy and hide it. And I still say he's nuts.
Dikiyoba glances at Mystic's signature and guesses that Mystic knows this from personal experience. :P
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by The Mystic:

quote:
Dikiyoba glances at Mystic's signature and guesses that Mystic knows this from personal experience. :P

Somewhat. I have a lot of oddballs in my family; I'd tell you something about it (especially about my one wacky aunt), but that's way off topic.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #22
SNM:
quote:

1) Is it possible to get an ending for G1 in which you rejoin the shapers (after destroying the Geneforge) where they don't distrust you?

No. If you stay loyal to the Shapers, they will always distrust you. Even if you don't use any canisters.

quote:

(ie, you don't get the "always wonder what might have been" thing). Similarly, is there a way to use the Geneforge without going insane?

I never thought that the PC was 'insane' after using the Geneforge. He/she just doesn't tolerate insolence. And frankly, would you tolerate insolence if you were the most powerful being on the planet?

But no, there is no way to stop yourself from going 'insane' after using the Geneforge.

quote:

Both. A Guardian generally has a low Shaping ability. And a Fyora is only meant to be used in the early game. However, the Shaper class can make reasonably good Fyoras.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Apprentice
Member # 7390
Profile #23
no offense, but dermonster thinks Dikiyoba talks in the third person too much. just saying. dermonster says dont hate the player, hate the people surrounding him constantly swearing 50 times a minute.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #24
Please explain why this is relevant to this thread. And if you're so offended by her speaking in third-person, why are you doing the same?

--------------------

Pages