Future of Geneforge

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Future of Geneforge
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #25
Perhaps this is in Geneforge 4 (or even in previous Geneforges, I can't really remember), but I'd like to have some skills other than Leadership factor into conversation checks. I'm thinking something along the lines of convincing a shaper to let you try fixing something by impressing him with knowledge of Mechanics. Or being able to argue your point better against someone if you have higher intelligence.

I'd also like to see some more choices in terms of weaponry. Spears that reach further than regular melee weapons, maybe big heavy mauls that stun people. That would be really nice.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #26
They have a big heavy maul that stuns people.

It is called an "Agent."

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #27
:mad: :mad: :mad:

TAKE ALL!!! -X- hereby sentences you to a Plm8982 point in -X-'s Big Book O' Personality Classification for your senseless slaughter of Spelling and Grammar!!! You hide behind an imperfect mask in an attempt to confuse -X-, but you die all the same!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #28
Three things of note, -X-:

That style of outburst won't earn you many friends around here.There's no point in arguing over spelling and grammar.Using your personality book against someone would hold far more weight if anyone here even understood what that's about.Oh, and you would make many a member happy if you eased off the Graemlins. Including me.

[ Wednesday, October 25, 2006 16:32: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #29
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
2. There's no point in arguing over spelling and grammar.
Oh, but there is. Just not in certain cases.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #30
Not directed at anyone in particular ... Generally, it won't make a difference. When you pick on someone's typos, it just reinforces that you're a cowardly, pugilistic idiot. I mean, do you expect to change the world if you yell at someone for not capitalizing "Shaper" or criticize their lack of paragraph breaks. Come on, if you can read it, no need to piss and moan about it.

Right. Back to the thread topic, how about a game that doesn't even bear the Geneforge title but is set in the same world? I'm talking something like, the origin of the Shapers. I mean, don't the games suggest -- or even explicity state -- that they've been around and in power for millenia? Maybe you should play an ancient peasant (albeit with promise) who has the chance to join the Shapers when they're a young sect, and as you progress through the game, the Shapers gain power over the common populace. I guess this WOULD have to be set on Sucia Island, since the Shapers' origins were there.

That gives me a more specific idea ... suppose your people are violently exiled from Terrestria (or whatever landmass neighbors Sucia) and you are sent adrift. Your fellow exiles take refuge on various islands, and you choose at the beginning who to go with.

One island might be really tough to settle (wildlife or existing, violent inhabitants), and the lot that goes there consists of hardened vagabonds and fighters. They'd have a good chance of taking revenge on those who exiled them.

Another island, I guess Sucia, would be all the educated and skilled folks trying to sequester themselves and study. They discover all those new powers, and there'd be a war with Heustess's people eventually (as described in Geneforge).

And then I guess there'd be a whacked-out religous cult that goes to a miserable, icy rock covered in mountain goats and decides to worship something there. And they'd have to be bent on sabotage of the Shapers' unholy studies, or something fanatical.

Eventually the islands would meet up or something. I mean, they can't be far -- in the Geneforge intro text, doesn't it mention that Sucia Island is one of a chain? Forgive me for dragging the island chain bit again.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #31
Just so you know, Mr. Ringer, the nearest landmass to Sucia Isle is Ilya Province, closest settlement is probably Dillame.

And yes, I agree with you on a possible event with the Sucia chain. could be interesting. . .

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #32
Ah, yes. Hatred. At last. So sweet.

But, back on topic, -X- doesn't very much care for friends. At the moment, he has two, and that's enough for him. -X- realizes the futility of arguing over grammar and spelling, but he can still find it as revolting as always. -X- agrees that his Personality Classification book is currently completely unknown to everyone else, but he will post the standings when they have accumulated enough. And -X- does overuse graemlins. -X- likes them.

And, in response to Nick Ringer, -X- doesn't mind a typo here and there, or if someone is just a bad speller, but he doesn't like repeated offences that can't be accidental. -X- himself makes these typos from time to time, but not purposefully or with great frequency as, from what he has seen of TAKE ALL, TAKE ALL does.

On thread topic, of course there will be an inevitable event on the Sucia Island chain. It may not be in these games, or games to come, but there is a war going on. And, eventually, rumors will leak out that a Geneforge is operational, or that there are important notes in the area.

And now, because -X- is currently secluded from Dikiyoba The Great's Episode Three : A New Game. . .

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 03:21: Message edited by: -X- ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #33
For the record: making some effort at reasonable spelling and grammar is generally considered good manners around here. A typo or two is fine. A grammatical error or two may also be fine. Writing in chatspeak is not.

This thread probably has little point, because Spiderweb is almost certain not to go in a particularly different direction than it has in the past few games (by which I mean multi-player, console-based, something like that). Basically, what Stareye said earlier in this thread is true.

I'm tempted to lock this based solely on that, but meh. It's fine to dream, as long as you know that you're dreaming.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #34
Well, this thread could also be kind of an idea pool, if Mr. Vogel or any of the admin people decide to look in here.
I also think that most of the people who have left posts in here know that Spidweb probably won't go out of their way to use an idea.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #35
Geneforge 4 is pretty much decided except for the fine tuning. Geneforge 5 is going to be well over a year away since Jeff announced that he wants to revise Nethergate to OS X and do Avernum 5.

You might as well wait to see all the changes in Geneforge 4 so you can at least make informed suggestions since the combat and creation systems have changed. Mechanics and tool use are also a little different in how they work for locks, traps, and mines. Still you can always do it the old fashioned way and set them off and hope to survive.
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #36
FWIW, one thing I would've liked in the 2nd and 3rd games is a little "customization" based on previous endings. Nothing too fancy - but, e.g., you get an optional screen in which you can tell the game which shapers died in GF 2 or which ending you got in GF 3 and your character's name (with default settings for newcomers) - so that, for example, an old Khyrik wouldn't appear if you'd killed him (but you could still get the info he provides another way), and the characters who give you background later in the game would mention your previous character and his deeds.

Maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble. I'd enjoy it, though.
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #37
Alternative: the ending of one game includes a simple code that you can enter at the beginning of the next game to effect the customization (and the loyal fanbase here promptly tells you all the codes and what they mean when the time comes...).
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #38
Originally by Alberich:

quote:
FWIW, one thing I would've liked in the 2nd and 3rd games is a little "customization" based on previous endings. Nothing too fancy - but, e.g., you get an optional screen in which you can tell the game which shapers died in GF 2 or which ending you got in GF 3 and your character's name (with default settings for newcomers) - so that, for example, an old Khyrik wouldn't appear if you'd killed him (but you could still get the info he provides another way)...
While I think it's a good idea, it would be far too much work to be feasible. (PS: use the edit button instead of double posting please.)

Dikiyoba has always secretly wanted to meet up with Dikiyoba's old characters. Where are they and what are they doing now? What advice would they have for another apprentice stuck in a similar situation? Dikiyoba can only speculate.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #39
Sorry to backtrack, but someone mentioned G5? That would be awesome! And if Mr. Vogel could update a few of the older games to OS X, that would be great. Is the release date for Geneforge 4 still the same? Last I checked, was late '06. . .

--------------------

Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #40
I suggest you to look in the GF4 Boards. I'm to lazy to just tell you.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #41
Ah, the censorship begins.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages