Geneforge 4 spells

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge 4 spells
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #0
Please tell me that "8 new spells" means 8 additional spells, not "8 old spells will be replaced".

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #1
"8 new spells" means 8 additional spells. I said it. :D

Seriously, I don't think that Jeff will delete the old spells. Why you think this?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #2
Maybe he'll get rid of unlock. Completely useless spell if you ask me. I always have a hoard of like 50 or 60 extra living tools by the end of the game.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Unlock is not worthless if you focus on magic and not on tool use. Keep in mind there are other play styles than your own.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #4
I wouldn't mind having Acid Shower replaced by something better. It's the one spell that I almost never think of, even though I almost always buy it.

My obsessive use of Unlock is why I always end up with loads of living tools at the end.

[ Friday, April 21, 2006 10:55: Message edited by: dareva ]
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #5
If Jeff gets rid of Unlock I'm going to incite a riot. I seriously considered doing so when he turned Unlock Doors to crap in Avernum.

quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

Seriously, I don't think that Jeff will delete the old spells. Why you think this?
Look at Avernum. Jeff has already set the precedent of removing spells. I am hoping for reasurance.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Dikiyoba would like to see new additional spells rather than replaced spells. Still, Dikiyoba is open to replacing spells that are basically repeats (like "minor heal," "heal," and "major heal") for something much more inventive.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Eight new spells is a lot. There are already quite a pile of spells in G3. Are there really eight new things to do? Maybe some of the eight will replace existing ones, but have similar effects.

Unlock is good, and with it as a precedent for magical control over mechanical items, anti-mine and -trap magic seems quite plausible. Jeff has also said that he is trying to revamp mines and traps to make them more interesting. So I'm thinking that maybe several of the new spells will be trap-related.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
Jeff will probably transfer some from A4 since it will reduce the work in graphics. After all the replacements over the years in the Avernum games, I bet we'll lose some old spells.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
Wait a moment. 8 spells = 2 on Battle Magic, 2 on Mental Magic, 2 on Blessing Magic, 2 on Healing Craft; or something other?
:confused:

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6433
Profile #10
I think some spells should be replaced so 1 additianal spell and one replaced but I definatly(?) want to keep aura of flames maby jeff could make it so you can make it your default attack i just love it, seeing flames drop on your enamys its awsome!!!

[ Saturday, April 22, 2006 07:30: Message edited by: sharx ]

--------------------
im back in turn based RPG!!!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #11
If you like seeing flames descend on your enemies, you should play Avernum 4. It's full of effects like that.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #12
Although in avernum 4 you can also see ice drop on your enemies. :D

--------------------
I hate you all
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #13
I personally do not like the categorization of spells as it is now.

I also am anti-Unlock. But only because it does not give you experience, while Tools do. The reason people are ending up with masses, heaps, and bounties of Living Tools is that one cannot see one lying there and leave it. They're pretty valuable, for exp or for money.

You should be able to use Living Tools in conjunction with Unlock. So if the spell isn't enough, you can use a few Tools to help out. That makes it unreasonable not to use the spell but also beneficial to collect tools. Unless you explicitly avoid locked doors, everybody wins.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
Originally by Nick Ringer:

quote:
You should be able to use Living Tools in conjunction with Unlock. So if the spell isn't enough, you can use a few Tools to help out. That makes it unreasonable not to use the spell but also beneficial to collect tools. Unless you explicitly avoid locked doors, everybody wins.
That's the way it worked in G1. While it was nice to save a living tool or two or three, it was annoying to pick the lock to the create ornk canister, since it required using 14+ living tools individually to get it open.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #15
Ohhhh yeah ... although it wasn't fun to hit the "use item" button and then the lever ... 14 times. There should be an Unlock dialogue with a picture of the lock (as I like pictures), and a description (I like those too). Then your choices, as with a conversation:

1. Attempt to unlock it with Living Tools.
2. Attempt to unlock it with magic.

Number one would lead to either "You are skilled enough to successfully pick the lock." or "You do not have enough Living Tools to pick the lock." The latter would give you the option to compensate for the lack of tools with magic.

Number two would lead to either "You are skilled enough to successfully break the lock" or "You are not skilled enough to successfully break the lock." The latter would give you the option to compensate for the lack of magic with tools.

Make any sense? For the sake of example, say each point of lock difficulty costs you 10 essence/spell energy. Imagine a lock with a difficulty of 20. You have 15 tools and 150 essence/energy. You might use them all and 50 essence/energy. Or, you might use all your magic and 5 tools to help out.

So 1 Living Tool is equivalent to 10 essence/energy. And we don't even need to fill a slot with the Unlock spell. Agreeable?

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #16
I agree with yuu, Nick. Maybe, if a door need 5 LT, you can use four, for reducing the lock's power, then use Unlock. Of course, the 4 LT gives you EXP.

--------------------