The Future of Blades of Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Future of Blades of Avernum
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #75
Special spells are easy. As for special skills, it'd probably be best just to add another set of special skills (Magic Skills, Shaping Skills) onto the default set, instead of trying to replace the default set (which is basically impossible).

And while I'd like to think that Exodus is the first scenario to handle special spells elegantly, it was certainly not the first scenario to have special spells.

[ Monday, February 12, 2007 21:19: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

I don't recall any limitations as to what type of creature NPCs must be. Usually they are human but the game views them as Character ID numbers.
The problem is not that monsters can't be made into joinable NPCs. The problem is that custom creature scripts seem to not work properly when applied to joinable NPCs, so their only AI is shounen-ai. :(

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #77
By Thuryl:
quote:
The problem is not that monsters can't be made into joinable NPCs. The problem is that custom creature scripts seem to not work properly when applied to joinable NPCs, so their only AI is shounen-ai.
I think that putting conditionals into basicnpc could work. I haven't gotten around to testing it yet, though.

--------------------
Listen to me, young man, you will drink the blood of the innocent and you will LIKE IT.
- Goblin (OotS #93)
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #78
Nope. The only state that's used in a joinable NPC's script is the DEAD_STATE. The rest is ignored.

Hmm... I wonder if I could cut a joinable NPC's script down to merely a DEAD_STATE.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #79
Definitely other scenarios had special spells, the Exodus scenario had the best - developed system to date.

Any of the Geneforge games would be easy to convert to a Blades of Geneforge. Like Blades of Avernum and Avernum 4, (and unlike Avernums 1, 2 and 3) they have a core program and a whole lot of scripts. The GF# Scendata.dat is much like the Bas file in a BoA scenario.

As I have mentioned earlier, I am sure that Jeff Vogel already has his own personal editor for each of the Geneforge games. So creating a Blades of Geneforge is an easy job for even a busy JV. You might want the ability to port BoA scenarios, that would be a fun job.

[ Tuesday, February 13, 2007 18:32: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #80
quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

As I have mentioned earlier, I am sure that Jeff Vogel already has his own personal editor for each of the Geneforge games. So creating a Blades of Geneforge is an easy job for even a busy JV.
No, it wouldn't. He already had an editor for the Avernum Trilogy, but creating BoA was one of the hardest things he's ever done. Granted, he spent much of that time adapting the GF scripts to the Avernum engine, but he also spent a great deal of time writing documentation, testing every last call to make sure that it would work even in situations that he'd never use himself, and so on.

Making BoG would be hard and time-consuming, and I don't think the end product would justify the time. I'd rather have A5, GF5, and A6 than BoG. For that matter, I'd rather have a Carbonized BoE or a fixed BoA than a BoG.

[ Tuesday, February 13, 2007 22:01: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #81
Plus, I'm not really sure I see the market for Blades of Geneforge. I mean, sure, Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum scenarios are often a lot LIKE Exile/Avernum, but a lot of people have set their scenarios in their own fantasy worlds.

Geneforge's system is a good bit more tied to its setting.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #82
Long time reader, first time poster. I used to play Exile many many many many moons ago as a small child( I think just the demo at that) and it still holds a unique place in my heart along with Realmz. These games fostered my love for the RPG genres. About a year ago I found my way to Spiderweb software again and dabbled with the demos but there was no time to play them as I was finishing up my BA. Soon after all of the Avernum games were purchased and I am working my way though them(geneforge is scratching at my wallet to get to my CC). I'm sad to see that BoA was not a financial success as the mass(well sudo-mass) of senarios is enough to keep me busy for months and months. I'll be purchasing a couple copies for my brother and sister, maybe do my part to show Jeff there is life in this build your own game idea. However I fully support whatever Jeff has to do to keep afloat, it's rough out there running your own business(certainly so in the game industry as fickle as us gamers can be).
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #83
Welcome to spiderweb, leave your sanity... yada yada, you get the picture.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #84
Yay, another BoA-er!

Seriously, though... is it just me, or a lot of new players coming out of the woodwork as of late?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 8134
Profile #85
*is reading this thread* Hmm...time to get to serious work on my 'A Servile's Tale' scenerio, then. I will be so proud of myself for pulling it off if I manage to do so.

Although, I wonder how many would smack me for the idea of a half-servile? (I know of a good number of Shapers that would!)

--------------------
Just because I am pink does not mean that I can't create some flame!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #86
I have no frigging clue about the geneforge plot lines you might be breaking, but apparently you're working on a Blades scenario, which earns you a big thumbs up from over here.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #87
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Yay, another BoA-er!

Seriously, though... is it just me, or a lot of new players coming out of the woodwork as of late?

Wishful thinking but maybe enough to support Jeff revisiting BoA and the idea of producing this type of application?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #88
I doubt Jeff would revisit BoA. I like BoA, but our discussions about the great game wouldn't compensate the fact that it didn't sell well.

--------------------
WWJD?
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #89
I figured as much, regardless I'm pushing it as hard as I can to folks I know who are into RPGs hoping can get a few more copies sold. I really dig the scenario/mod idea and I would desperatly hate to see the idea behind BoA/BoE die eventually. It almost seems to me(granted this isn't a scientific study by any means) that BoA was a victim of BoE's success. Seems like a lot of BoE users didn't feel compelled to upgrade to BoA for whatever reason. Why that is, I can't say, I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why, from scenario avalablilty to play style.

***EDIT***

Also, while not knocking the sudo-3D view of Avernum I do see a certain charm in in the true 2D graphics of BoE. There is such a thing that If I had been started on BoE I might be partial to it for one reason or another as well.

[ Monday, February 26, 2007 14:57: Message edited by: macdude22 ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #90
I think we've eventually concluded that the primary reason that BoA hasn't produced as many scenarios as BoE is that it's far harder to make a BoA scenario than a BoE one.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I think we've eventually concluded that the primary reason that BoA hasn't produced as many scenarios as BoE is that it's far harder to make a BoA scenario than a BoE one.
I've milled about getting BoE to see what all the hubbub is about but alas I sent my last production power mac(a mini) off to a family member who was in desperate need of a Mac. I could play it in Windows, but that would make me feel durrrty. Maybe in a couple years when I buy a house and have some room to hook up some of the old macs in storage I'll throw down the old school Exile. I recently posted on my Blog a plea to my 200ish readers to guy buy BoA so Jeff when the mega increased sales come soaring in just send the commission check my way. ;) Seriously I'm hoping it persuades at least a couple people to purchase. The more I play BoA the more it grows on me like someone you love or a brain tumor (or is the cause of love brain tumors?).
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #92
If Spidweb ever improves BoA to level we can notice, they should put the demo everywhere. I discovered Spiderweb Software when I tried a demo CD called MacCubed or something like that. It had Exile I and Exile II, but that was a long time ago.

--------------------
WWJD?
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #93
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

If Spidweb ever improves BoA to level we can notice, they should put the demo everywhere. I discovered Spiderweb Software when I tried a demo CD called MacCubed or something like that. It had Exile I and Exile II, but that was a long time ago.
OMG, thats where I got them from. Was like a 7 pack of CDs of shareware MacCubed. I think some of the disks are still in boxes at the old FarmHouse somewhere. I'm pushin BoA hard, I want Jeff to know that its a hot idea and somewhere it just hit a snag in the intergalactic superconductor. My personal goal is to reverse his current decision(which I understand, it's feed his family or support BoA at this point).
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by macdude22:

I recently posted on my Blog a plea to my 200ish readers to guy buy BoA so Jeff when the mega increased sales come soaring in just send the commission check my way. ;) Seriously I'm hoping it persuades at least a couple people to purchase.
That's actually a really good idea... and it gives me a reason to actually touch the Share feature on Facebook. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #95
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by macdude22:

I recently posted on my Blog a plea to my 200ish readers to guy buy BoA so Jeff when the mega increased sales come soaring in just send the commission check my way. ;) Seriously I'm hoping it persuades at least a couple people to purchase.
That's actually a really good idea... and it gives me a reason to actually touch the Share feature on Facebook. :P

Cripes you gave me a reason to log onto faceboxtubenet. I think we just started a grassroots campaign to promote BoA.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Cripes you gave me a reason to log onto faceboxtubenet. I think we just started a grassroots campaign to promote BoA.
Yay!

--------------------
WWJD?
Apprentice
Member # 8410
Profile #97
Sorry for being late for this great discussion.. and late buying the game. I am actually buying BoA right now - that is I await the confirmation e-mail and my key! I want to play now!! :D
Anyway, just wanted to say *slash wave* to all of you BoA'ers.
I am really glad to see such enthusiasm, because that means, hehe, more great scenarios for me :D
But how could it not sale well? The concept is nothing but brilliant and the scene is.. well.. AVERNUM!!

Whatever, just my contribution to your faith in the game :)

[ Saturday, March 31, 2007 17:02: Message edited by: Lokiron ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #98
I've tried getting my friends to play BoA, but it didn't take. I've been trying to tempt them by working on my scenario when they're around, but still no. Probably because it's sprite based. Bah. Spoiled, closed-minded…

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #99
Unfortunatly that's the mindset of a lot of people. Flashy graphics and nothing more. As a gaming tech geek I've always been on the forfront of console gaming and the such but today's games just seem to not push my buttons anymore much. I play the Spiderweb Games alot of course, but these days I find myself playing less and less of my 360 and more and more of classic games on my Wii or on Gametap. There are sacks of really fun, older RTS games on Gametap that I have just been hammering. A lot of today's games seem to focus too much on graphics and add too much complex behavior that doesn't add much to the gameplay. Maybe I'm getting old(at the ripe age of 24).

Glad to see another BoA purchase. I've been pushing it hard and it's likely my sister will get into it but most are turned off by the graphics. And then there's my super cheap brother, twin no less, who seems to be of the mind set paying for games is some crime against humanity. He must have been adopted, rest of the fam loves games and we sink far to many dollars into the craft.

Pages