I'm starting Avernum 2 soon, and I could use some party creation tips

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I'm starting Avernum 2 soon, and I could use some party creation tips
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #0
Yep, new here, but no to SpiderWeb games.

I'm ordering it in a few days, so I'm just going to play the demo for now ^_^

I played A LOT of the Exile demos back in the day, so I'm familiar enough with the begining of Avernum 2, as long as they didn't change too much about it. I ahve fond memories of being slaughtered by those Salamanders early on In Exile 2 when I was younger >_>

I'm going to make a custom party for this game. Back in my Exile days, I always made a team of 6, 2 mages and four physical fighters. In Avernum 1, I just used the default party. This time around, I want to go for more customization so I'll be making my own guys, so my question comes up: how should I make the custom characters? Should I go with two mages and two physical fighers, or mix it up a bit more, like going with a Warrior Mage or odd combos like that.

Also, how many party members should I use?

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
Prepare to be swamped with replies.

When I'm not experimenting on BoA, I always make 4 customs: a Nephil archer with some sword skill, a Slith pole-fighter, a Human priest, and a Human mage. It's probably not the most powerful make, but it has a nice spread of skills, and I'm able to use pretty much every item that comes my way.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will build machines which simply fail when overloaded, rather than wipe out all nearby henchmen in an explosion or worse yet set off a chain reaction. I will do this by using devices known as "surge protectors".
(T-8)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I like playing with a pair of fighters and a pair of casters, and I think that's the most common decision with four member parties. Beyond that you've got some fun making decisions.

Archery is helpful but not very helpful. It's nice to be able to use both swords and spears. Actually, flexibility is good in general. My starting party is thus a guy with a sword, a guy with a spear, and two characters who are mages and priests. (That last decision seems to be mostly mine, but I've gotten good results with it.)

Eventually you may want to add some archery skill or some priest skill to your fighters and maybe give your casters a little bit more than pure magic like, say, some Intelligence. You can figure that out as you go along.

—Alorael, who cannot overstate how nice it is to be able to heal twice or more in a round while later having the opportunity to launch two Fireblasts. Mage-priests are lovely.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #3
I play with 2 humans, 1 slith, and 1 nephil; as with all my Exile/Avernum PCs, all of them are both priests and mages. As you can see, I have a very heavy bias towards spellcasters.

It's always good to have at least 1 priest and 1 mage, regardless of whatever else you do.

For your mage, it's a good idea to give him/her the "natural mage" trait; it's a bit of a drain on XP, but worth the cost.

"Fast on feet" is a good trait for anybody, since there's always a fair amount of melee wherever you go.

After you master the game, the "completely inept" trait can make a fun challenge.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #4
An archer in A2 is very useful for the bolts of life/arrows of light (or vice versa?), which make some enemies and a boss significantly easier. You'll also need one melee-focused character to wield Demonslayer, and a pole weapons-user (sliths preferred) to use the potent pole weapons.

Other than that, I agree with what's been said so far- 4 characters, two fighter types and two casters. It's hard to go wrong- you may not always have the strongest party, but you'll be able to do everything you need.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
I personally prefer this really basic model:

-Fighter (usually poles)
-Thief/rogue/archer (sword)
-Mage
-Priest

But I usually spruce it up a bit... make the races interesting (i.e.: slith priest, nephil mage, keep the others human). It's also fun to give the rogue some basic mage skill and give the fighter some basic priest spells.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #6
Okay, thanks for the suggestions so far ^_^

When making a mage and a priest, I do want high Intelligence for spell power, but also good Dexterity for avoiding hits, since the spellcasters will be a little more fragile, right? ALso, should I invest in a weapon skill for the priest, like maybe archery, or would the skill points be better invested in more spell points or possibly tool skills?

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
Try a three person party. A Nephil warrior/archer, with high defense, a mage, and a priest. Then battle most of the monsters in the first part of the game. Then, when the apparition appears in Formello, look around and recruit Becca into your party. She will be your pole-arm warrior, and also will have far more experience and abilities then anyone else in your party. (Assuming you aren't cheating)

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Askman:

When making a mage and a priest, I do want high Intelligence for spell power, but also good Dexterity for avoiding hits, since the spellcasters will be a little more fragile, right? ALso, should I invest in a weapon skill for the priest, like maybe archery, or would the skill points be better invested in more spell points or possibly tool skills?
I don't bother with Dexterity on spellcasters. They shouldn't be getting attacked anyway.

I do like giving some archery skill to priests. It complements their spellcasting abilities very nicely.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I don't bother with Dexterity on spellcasters. They shouldn't be getting attacked anyway.
I do like giving a moderate amount of Dexterity to my spellcasters. Priority in combat can really help, since that first Slow or Lightning Spray can really shake up a fight.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Having a slith can make a few encounters a little bit easier, so it's nice to have one.

Dikiyoba relies very heavily on basic mage spells and priest spells. One character is also a rogue with lots of tool use.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
One thing to remember in Avernum 2 and 3 is that a few encounters require just one party member. For those I always use a mage/priest spellcaster.

I always used a nephil archer/sword/thief, a slith pole weapon, and 2 human mage/priests where one gets all the mage spells and the other gets all the priest spells. Both spellcasters have the first 8 levels or so of both spell categories for when you need extra firepower or healing in the beginning of the game. Make sure you give at least one spellcaster Natural Mage to increase the armor.

There are lots of different combinations that will work so pick something that you will enjoy.
Apprentice
Member # 7625
Profile #12
I used to use the preset party all the time, then based on my results with that made my own party. A slith priest/fighter, a nephil priest/fighter, then two human mages. Focused almost entirely on the mages, annihilated most things with them before anyone else could do anything.

--------------------
The ways to win: attack, attack, and attack some more.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Demoniac Dikiyoba:

Having a slith can make a few encounters a little bit easier, so it's nice to have one.
Really? They can only help?

I guess it's only in A3 when the sight of a slith in your party sends the locals into a frenzy.

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
I like to have 2 slith fighters, a nephil mage, and human priest.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #15
Okay, I almost finished my team. I at first was just going to do a class, but then I realized a lot of skill points were in things I would never use, like my Sith solider would have ahd a few points in Melee weapons, which is what my thief is for >_>

Anyway, I'm using a Slith warrior, Nephil thief using a bow (but not thrown missles, yet, and two human spellcasters.

[ Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:41: Message edited by: Askman ]

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Askman:

quote:
I at first was just going to do a class, but then I realized a lot of skill points were in things I would never use, like my Sith solider would have ahd a few points in Melee weapons, which is what my thief is for >_>
Yes, that's the problem with preset classes. They have more starting skillpoints, but some of them are useless.

Don't worry too much about having a perfect strategy and party build. Avernum is forgiving enough that you won't have problems. Just go out and play the game.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Fixed quote.

[ Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:20: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #17
Is there any way to change a PC's anme or graphics? My mage is a woman profile pic with a guy's anme and sprite ^_^'

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
Yes, the use ability button (it looks like a hand). You have the option to change the character's graphics and name from there.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #19
Okay, thanks ^_^

And is it just me, or is this game a lot harder than A1? I'm having a much harder time keeping everyone healed and killing enemies as fast as the team in A1 did.

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
A2 requires retreating to the Fort to rest in the beginning. The Nephil fort takes several trips. Also you might as well take advantage of those trips to haul items back to sell off since you will easily exceed carrying capacity.

There are several places that require more fighting at the start than in A1.
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #21
I'm deep into it now, almost ready to go down that tunnel the freaky-thing told me to go down >_> It's a lot easier now.

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
Before you take the boat over the first waterfall, be sure you did all the quests and killed everything that you can. There is no place to train for a long time. The hardest part is deciding what to keep since some of the items you will find are junk (cursed).
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #23
Im at about lvl 5 for everyone, with every quest completed but finding the stolen arrow quest, since the quartermaster died in the attack -_-

But I do remember always getting slaughtered in Chapter 2 of Exile 2, but maybe it was because I always skipped every dungeon and went straight to Chapter 2 >_>

And are there any places to heal in Chapter 2, or should I bring a ton of food to rest, since it usually takes me 2 or 3 trips to complete dungeons.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 04:46: Message edited by: Askman ]

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #24
There's one spot where there is a healer, and I've always just walked/rowed around whenever I needed to recover, but if you like to rest, bring lots of food, because you'll lose some as you go over the waterfalls. (There will be a few places to get more along the way, but not much.)

Dikiyoba.

Pages