What's the best avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's the best avernum?
Apprentice
Member # 7198
Profile #0
What is the best Avernum game?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 39 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=HTTmKjUktnsu"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=HTTmKjUktnsu"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #1
I prefer A4, but the general concensus over here seems to be A2. BoA is great, though there are only a few of the near-Spiderweb quality scenarios. Bahssikava, for example.

--------------------
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #2
Bahss, AtG, etc. go far beyond "near-Spiderweb quality".

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
We're talking about BoA, though. AtG is not exactly relevant.

Votes for A2 and BoA, here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #4
The first (and last) BoA scenario I downloaded was Bahssikava. My parents, who are stout Quakers, reluctantly allowed me to download it after seeing the mature label. However, after seeing the slaughtered soldiers around every corner, they made me delete BoA and Bahssikava. I only got far enough into it to tell it was good.

[ Tuesday, June 06, 2006 06:48: Message edited by: Mr.Bookworm ]

--------------------
Polaris
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
I like BoA, but I have a hard time seeing it as a single game. I see each scenario as its own little game, some of which are very good, and some that aren't.

So Dikiyoba gives the vote to Avernum 2.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #6
Gee, I was the only one to vote for Avernum 1 so far. I liked it because it was so fresh and had the strongest plot.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
A1 barely has any plot. It has the strongest atmosphere, which makes it my second favorite. A2 wins.

I agree with Ducky that BoA doesn't really belong in an Avernum comparison, but I gave it a vote anyway because it's worth having, worth playing, and worth designing for if your talents run in that direction.

—Alorael, whose talents have never actually run anywhere. Maybe he needs more enthusiastic talents. His usually saunter, dawdle, or amble lethargically.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Ducky? Why Ducky?

And have you tried threatening your talents, Alorael? Dikiyoba is sure that if talents that slacked off got shot, the rest would move a lot quicker.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
A2, as usual.

BoA would come second.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #10
A2 is the best. A4 is the worst. (Unless you prefer Diablo to Baldur's Gate.)

BoA could be great, or just ok, depending on how good the scenarios are. You can find out about BoA scenarios here: http://pub15.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm32

[ Tuesday, June 06, 2006 15:55: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #11
IMAGE(http://www.shadowvale.net/G3003.bmp)

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dxtrgrtba:

Ducky? Why Ducky?
I thought that Ducky was actually a rather snappy nickname for Dikiyoba. I'm think I'm going to use that from now on. Get used to it, Ducky. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

A2 is the best. A4 is the worst. (Unless you prefer Diablo to Baldur's Gate.)
That is an utterly nonsensical statement. I prefered Diablo to Baldur's Gate and still hate A4.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Main Entry: ducky
Pronunciation: 'd&-kE
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): duck·i·er; -est
1 : DARLING, CUTE <a ducky little tearoom>
2 : SATISFACTORY, FINE <everything is just ducky>
3: Yellow rubber bath accessory

—Alorael, who finds his #1 #3 #2.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Originally by Kelandon:

quote:
I thought that Ducky was actually a rather snappy nickname for Dikiyoba. I'm think I'm going to use that from now on. Get used to it, Ducky. :P
But Dikiyoba doesn't like being called Ducky. :(

Not even this can change Dikiyoba's mind:

IMAGE(http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Misc/Land%20Before%20Time/Ducky_300.gif)
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #16
Firstly ... thats just creepy Dikky.

I liked the atmosphere of Avernum ... and Blades of Avernum, though I don't own it yet, I just the idea of creating.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Apprentice
Member # 7198
Profile #17
Very nice to get so many answers for my first poll in this page. I hope I get more Votes and Thanks for votes all!
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #18
Ducky? or Dik Dik? perhaps Dikky?

I've enjoyed all the games, perhaps BOA the most precisely because scenarios can vary so much in mood and texture.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #19
Hey, how are y'all doin' today? This is my first post in months. I just want to ask Thlis Avatar why you don't think Avernum 1 has no plot. I do agree it's not as thick as 2 @ 3 or even 4 (which I haven't played yet but just ordered today!), but that doesn't mean it has no plot whatsoever. Any game that has missions and wingame finalies has to have some sort of plot somewhere. Oh and by the way, I voted for Avernum 1 and BoA! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
I didn't say it has no plot whatsoever. I said it has barely any plot.

You're in a cave and would really like to get out. There are these nephils and sliths and you must kill them for the good of Avernum. There's a demon! Kill it too! Oh, there is actually a more important demon you should probably kill. And then you can kill the guy who got you sent down in the first place. Fin.

—Alorael, who considers A1 his second favorite Avernum. The atmosphere and dialogue are excellent. They don't make a plot, but that's really okay. A3 is the game that suffers from having an uninteresting plot and much less atmosphere.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #21
Apples and oranges. A1 is an open-ended CRPG big on atmosphere. The interweaving three quest threads are nice, but don't provide enough driving force to the game (personally, I found the Grah-Hoth quest gave the most drive to the game, even though it seemed underdeveloped).

A2, on the other hand, is highly linear. It even works under the chapter system, though it shifts to open-ended in the last chapter, with the same theme of three quest threads. The focus of this game is more on scripted encounters than on the ability to go anywhere at anytime, so the plot is stronger at the expense of choice.

A3 breaks the mold set by the previous two games. It features five mostly sequential quests, with one driving purpose behind the game, all taking place in an all-new open-ended world. Thus, a compromise of sorts. Of course, there is the plague ennui... maybe if there was more moral ambiguity as with the Troglodytes, and more 'side options' like the Anama...

BoA: All breadth, no depth.

So, yeah, a bit difficult to rank. By the way, is that Solberg the BoE designer?

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If I am escaping in a large truck and the hero is pursuing me in a small Italian sports car, I will not wait for the hero to pull up along side of me and try to force him off the road as he attempts to climb aboard. Instead I will slam on the brakes when he's directly behind me. (A rudimentary knowledge of physics can prove quite useful.)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By the way, is that Solberg the BoE designer?
No.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
Originally by Dintiradan:

quote:
A2, on the other hand, is highly linear. It even works under the chapter system, though it shifts to open-ended in the last chapter, with the same theme of three quest threads. The focus of this game is more on scripted encounters than on the ability to go anywhere at anytime, so the plot is stronger at the expense of choice.
I rarely felt that my choices were overly limited, though. Chapter 1 is exploring all of northeastern Avernum. Chapter 3 is exploring all of the vahnatai lands. Chapter 4 is everywhere else. The only really limited and linear chapter was Chapter 2.

Originally by Fatman:

quote:
Ducky? or Dik Dik? perhaps Dikky?
Dikiyoba works surprisingly well. Diki is also acceptable, if you don't want to type Dikiyoba's full name out.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Tricky Dik?

—Alorael, who thinks many people are misled by the four chapters of A2. Chapters 1, 2, and 3 are the demo. Chapter 4 is the rest of the game. Their sizes match. It could be considered a prologue in three parts and a game. The prologue is relatively linear, especially the very enjoyable Dark Waters part, but then the fourth part only has a plot in that the Empire is invading. It's just a much more visible plot than other Avernum plots.

Pages