What exactly are slith avatars?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What exactly are slith avatars?
Apprentice
Member # 2632
Profile #0
Judging by how slith avatars tend to appear from out of nowhere near their dead, at first I thought they were some kind of spirits. However, that doesn't hold water since the repel spirit spell doesn't work on them. What are these things?
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #1
Avatar (अवतार in sanskrit) refers to a physical manifestation of a divine being.

EDIT: Interestingly Jeff seems to have borrowed several other terms in his game from Sanskrit, including Rakshasa (रक्षस) and Naga (नाग).

[ Monday, May 08, 2006 14:24: Message edited by: Wild Kinky Slugs ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
Rakshasas and Nagas were brought into the collective FRPG bestiary years before by AD&D.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
The slith avatars are a powerful type of guardian spirit. Similar to demons, but not affected by repel spirit.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
Almost nothing in the fantasy genre is original. Think about it: very few creatures in the Avernum series are truely unique. Chitrachs are just big praying mantises, and the Vahnatai fill the role elves usually do (to be fair, JV should be lauded in his choice to go with cat and lizard beings rather than going with the overused elves and dwarves). Try as I might, though, I can't think of any equivilent to the GIFTS.

And what D&D monster is truely unique. There are only a handful; beholders and illithids are the only ones I can think of at the moment. A beholder can be described as [CENSORED], with [CENSORED]. The illithids, also known as [CENSORED], are a race of beings known for their [CENSORED]. However, WotC has not released these creatures under the OGL, so I cannot provide further details.

--------------------
You mean the Mind Fla-
DON'T say it! It's trademarked!
- OotS
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #5
I was under the impression that Slith Avaters were resurrected slith heroes, who pretty much hang around by their own grave. The important thing to know is that they are quite liberal with the dishing out of pain.

Pretty much everything in fantasy games or novels isn't original. It mostly is founded in either myths or builds off of previous books (LOTR alert).

I had thought about this in relation to the avernum series and concluded pretty much what has already been stated. The sliths/nephils/vahnatai are the only races that are new (although cat men and lizard men isn't exactly revolutinary.) Pretty much anything original in the game comes in the strange way that creatures act (like the GIFTS, *shudders*), not that similar creatures haven't been seen before.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Read books by China Miéville. There may not be anything new, but he really, really tries. Anthropomorphic cacti are among his more normal creations.

—Alorael, who considers slith avatars generic power slith defenders. Which they are. Which means he's right!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Blichh. He tries much too hard. The easiest thing for any author to do, when the anxiety of influence gets too strong, is go sick. It's easy, in the sense that it lets you stretch a spoonfull of inspiration with a gallon of perspiration, and it will reliably generate stuff that ain't like Tolkien. But it ain't good, either. Maybe sick doesn't necessarily mean bad, but easy does. And, sad but true: trying too hard is too easy. If only mere effort made art.

I'm judging only by Perdido Street Station, but I found several of the many things that were raised in a paragraph and dismissed to be more interesting than the main menace, whose power failed to convince. I couldn't help feeling, from half way through, that the only reason slake moths were so bad was that the author was going to insist they were, because they were his "different" bad things. And the only reason those alien hyperspiders were so capriciously malign was that the author realized they would otherwise be fairy godmothers; so he has them torture a few red shirts to death for no reason, and that problem is solved. Slather on some sick and the readers will never think "Wizard of Oz meets Charlotte's Web".

And so on. You can sense the author prodding every chapter into novelty, usually by adding gratuitous gruesomeness. This we don't need.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I view the plot of Perdido Street Station as an excuse. It's among the most overused plots of fantasy mixed with a little gothic horror. It's just a pretext for the author to show off his handlingers, Weaver, automatic electrical sacrifice ritual machine, and cameo by traditional RPG adventurers.

As I've said before, I prefer a good world to a good plot a lot of the time, and New Crobuzon is a very good steam-gothic-fantasy-Oz world. Its elements aren't unique, per se, but it comes together to be something not quite like anything else I've read.

—Alorael, who actually likes Miéville's insistence on dropping references to other places and things without further elucidation or use. Torque is horrible (and a thinly-veiled reference to nuclear weapons), but it's not relevant. A city full of the undead is mentioned in passing (and more than in passing in a later book), but it's never central. It helps keep the books from falling into the trap of heroes saving the world and making everything perfect and boring.
Apprentice
Member # 2632
Profile #9
It's clearly safe to say that this thread has gone horribly off-topic. All I wanted to know why a creature which by all means appears to be a spirit is not affected by repel spirit. If you want to continue the discussion about traditions, clichés and originality, could you please do it somewhere else?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Threads are communist. From each according to his ability, and then they belong to the people.

Note that ability means ability to produce good threads, not ability to press the New Topic button.

—Alorael, who has another theory. Slith avatars are actually slimes created by Rakshasa. In disguise! And they have plasma blasters in their spears!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
By Crowley:
quote:
All I wanted to know why a creature which by all means appears to be a spirit is not affected by repel spirit.
Easy enough. Each creature is nothing more than a mass of statistics. One of them classifies what the creature is. You choose between human, nephilim, slith (or is it lizard?), undead, demon, vahnatai, etc. You can only choose one creature type. Seeing that there is no 'slith undead' slot, I'm guessing JV decided the Avatar fit better under another heading other that 'demon' or 'undead', possibly the slith (or lizard). The one way to check exactly which one is to read the BoA docs to find each groups strengths and weaknesses, then spend a few minutes narrowing it down.

So yeah, the Avatars are neither undead nor demons because JV typed in a different number. Pretty anticlimatic, eh?

--------------------
Help! A character sheet is attacking me!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

slith (or is it lizard?)
I believe the politically correct term is Anthropomorphic Reptile.

But anyway, it makes sense that the Avatars would be Anthropomorphic Reptiles instead of undead or demons, since they need to retain their flame-resistance (since zombies are famously flammable). That, and if they're incarnations of heroes, I'd think that they could resist a little wimpy Repel Spirit anyway. That could make a case for them being demons, though, so that only level 3 affects them...

But I'm analyzing it too much.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #13
quote:
Seeing that there is no 'slith undead' slot
BTW, why? Anybody ever seen and undead except a human one? I don't consider Vahnatai spirits and all sort of demons to be the 'undead' by definition. Does methabolism have to do something to make it impossible to raise a nephilim (read non-human) from the dead?
Away from "no slot in a constructor" variant, what is the reason?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

quote:
Seeing that there is no 'slith undead' slot
BTW, why? Anybody ever seen and undead except a human one? I don't consider Vahnatai spirits and all sort of demons to be the 'undead' by definition. Does methabolism have to do something to make it impossible to raise a nephilim (read non-human) from the dead?

Well, there are Vahnavoi, which just seem to be Vahnatai zombies, not spirits like the Crystal Souls are.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
It's been some time since A2 for me, but I seem to remember Vahnavoi and Hraithe could be hit with undead-repelling magic. Does that mean that they weren't classed as Vahnatai at all (in favor of Undead)?

Anyway, I currently have this weird idea that in BoA you could set a monster to be affected by Undead spells without giving it the Undead creature type. It's probably just wishful thinking though.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Meeshka:

quote:
Does methabolism have to do something to make it impossible to raise a nephilim (read non-human) from the dead?
Dikiyoba seems to recall there being mention of nephil and slith bodies ready to be turned into undead in the ruined nephil fort in Avernum 2, but it's been too long since Dikiyoba has played it as well.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba seems to recall there being mention of nephil and slith bodies ready to be turned into undead in the ruined nephil fort in Avernum 2, but it's been too long since Dikiyoba has played it as well.
It was nephilim only, I believe, but yes. Some of the generic undead that one finds are actually nephilim undead, not human undead.

Aran: Yes, vahnavoi are undead, not vahnatai. In BoA, the only way that I know of to make a creature vulnerable to Repel Spirit is by setting its cr_species to 7 (Demon) or 8 (Undead), and vahnavoi are definitely set to 8 in corescendata.

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 08:55: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba seems to recall there being mention of nephil and slith bodies ready to be turned into undead in the ruined nephil fort in Avernum 2, but it's been too long since Dikiyoba has played it as well.[/QB]
Were there? Hmm, I have to play it again then. I can not recall anything of that sort mentioned.
"ready to be turned into undead"? No sir, no spark of light in my memories, except the same things in TES3 series, but that's not from here.
As for Vahnavoi, those were the creatures I think to be more ghosts (sorry, not the spirits of course). May be I am wrong.
And it may seem that my sclerosis is playing tricks, but also I can't remember any necromancer met or even mentioned. Along with such type of magic. Were all the undead made by demons or cruel fate circumstances (the dark pit E1/A1)? May be I'm a bit too scrupulous with Avernum, comparing its magic stuff with some magic schools canons from other RPGs?
As for giving a Repel Spirit vulnerability to any creature - why not give such to Slith Avatars?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Undead generally come in three varieties: decaying, skeletal, and ghostly.

One decaying corpse probably looks much like another. Sure, it might have some fur or scales coming off in patches instead of bare skin, but only if you're staring. Note that the games rarely (never?) describe the zombies you encounter. They could be any race, but in fact that's irrelevant because they're undead.

Skeletons are much the same. Nephil, slith, human, and vahnatai skulls might not look the same but that's not really important when you're being assaulted by a bunch of bones with a sword.

The spiritual undead like shades tend to look like utterly generic, apparently green humanoids. The race of a shade is impossible to determine.

There are definitely a few places where goblins in graveyards become zombies (despite the Encyclopedia Ermariana's entry), and there are some nasty undead in vahnatai crypts that can only be vahnatai corpses. I vaguely recall a few undead nephils, but I'm not sure about sliths.

Hraithe and vahnavoi both seem like undead with flesh that don't suffer decay like zombies. I'm not sure what that makes them. Mummies? Is preservation the only difference between vahnatai who become the vahnatai-specific undead and vahnatai who become generic undead?

—Alorael, who concludes that if the undead only share having returned from death and slith avatars are not undead, they must not have died. Maybe especially valiant sliths are magically ascended to avatarhood before death in a ritual analogous to vahnatai and Crystal Souls.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Accidental Malice:

Undead generally come in three varieties: decaying, skeletal, and ghostly.

Vampires are which one then? And here I can see the first type can transform into second, after it "decays" to the end? I've never heard of such thing in necromagic.
And just for example, an elven vampire holds another name. I won't make a list, but the names of the "undead" of different races differ, I think, due to some racial traditions :) . May be not on Ermarian space, though.
Still, the argument that we just can't make a concrete conclusion which race this or that undead came from is rather serious. I think that's what I wanted to hear. Still it makes fighting animated flesh (summoned ghost) a bit dull. I hate undead, they are all the same :)

Edit: missed an interesting phrase. Yes, the games and the books describe undead as a rule. Avernum was, I think, the first game, where necromagic is not explained.

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 09:11: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
Vampires become vampires by being bitten, not by being magically animated. Diplomacy with the Dead strongly implies that this is true in Avernum as well as mythology.

Although Avernum doesn't weigh in on the subject, zombies are generally animated flesh that keeps decaying and and skeletons are fleshless bones animated and held together by magic. As zombies decompose, they fall apart because magic isn't used to hold them together. If they reach a skeletal stage, they're effectively out of commission because they have no coherency (or ability to move) any more.

Applying D&D to Avernum is a bad idea. There are no elves, and the only race-specific undead are the vahnatai varieties.

—Alorael, who can think of plenty of games and books that don't bother to explain the undead. Even those that do usually just say that dark power keeps the dead ambulatory and leave it at that. What exactly isn't explained in Jeff's universe that needs to be elucidated?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #22
quote:

What exactly isn't explained in Jeff's universe that needs to be elucidated?
Who makes them.

Are Vampires "undead"?

Why is it a bad idea to try to apply any issue of D&D to Avernum since there ARE Dungeons and Dragons present?
That's what should be explained, I think.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

quote:

What exactly isn't explained in Jeff's universe that needs to be elucidated?
Who makes them.

Necromancers, generally. You get to meet many of them. You kill most of them, too.

quote:
Are Vampires "undead"?
Yes. I'm not sure this is ever stated outright, but the keep company with the undead, they're affected by all the anti-undead spells, and they figure prominently in Diplomacy with the Dead.

quote:
Why is it a bad idea to try to apply any issue of D&D to Avernum since there ARE Dungeons and Dragons present?
This doesn't even deserve a response, but it will get one in four words: elves, dwarves, sliths, and nephilim.

—Alorael, who realizes quite well that his last response is absurd. So is the question, though.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
For example, the plague of undead in A3 on the island south of Gale is caused by Zkal. People like him make undead.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages