How did you discover Avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How did you discover Avernum?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

How did you first find avernum?
Off the Spiderweb website after being introduced to Exile on a shareware CD.
What game did you first play?
Exile 3.
Why did you play it?
One could argue it was the best game on the entire CD.
What is your favorite game?
Probably BoE, though I don't spend a ton of time playing Spiderweb games anymore.

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #51
I discovered it by searching for "great adventure games".It came up with the most results so i downloaded it and from that point forward i was hooked.
My favorite Avernum game is Avernum 2. :D

--------------------
I hate you all
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #52
How did you first find Avernum?
I found it on a Mac shareware site while desperately searching for a Mac game worth playing that would run on my machine. (I have already played the Fallout series dozens of times, and Baldur's Gate runs a bit slow, which I find highly annoying.)

Why did you play it?
Just to try it, see what it was like. I'm not sure just what caught my attention about it, but it turned out to be very entertaining and I was hooked.

I've only really played most of Avernum 3 and a little bit of Avernum 1, but after finishing the first Blades of Avernum scenario, I think BoA is my favorite. It has more features, a much wider array of item and terrain graphics, and just feels more immersive. The four new character models/portraits were a great touch.

[ Friday, April 14, 2006 18:17: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #53
Im just asking but are some older spiderweb soft ware games gonna become free full downlaodeble versions.

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #54
Probably not. Some of the game prices have been lowered recently and Dikiyoba thinks that as close as it's going to get.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Probably not. Some of the game prices have been lowered recently and Dikiyoba thinks that as close as it's going to get.
Well, Exile 1 may become freeware in oh about 10 years, when nothing can run it. But for the time being no, and it will stay no for a long time. People have been trying to get Jeff to release the source for BoE for ages so it cna be updated by people who care, but he won't let them. So I doubt he'll turn other games freeware just because people want to play them. After all, that is why you buy them.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 6921
Profile #56
I told my friend about this really simple game, Castle of the Winds, so she told me about Exile, but that was too confusing for me (but I like it now!) cause I wasn't really experienced with rpgs so I turned to Avernum and I've been playing spiderweb games ever since, except I feel that Geneforge and Avernum 4 have become in a way dumbed down. Sorry! That's not very nice is it... Meh I just like the older kinds better.
Blades of Exile
Why did you play it?
Because I had time.
Nethergate, because it's so bright and sunny outside (not as depressing as those other games) and it's kind of rustic-ish. ^_^ Oh yeah and it's a lot of fun!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #57
1. I found Avernum while looking for more Exile games.

2. E3, Registered in the late 90's

3. It didn't suck

4. Carmaggedon 2

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #58
Oh, well if you'd like to know what my favorite game of all time is, that would be Fallout 2 -- I don't even need to stop and think about it. If computer games were my religion, Fallout 2 would be my Jesus Christ, Boddhisatva, Shiva, Muhammad, Buddha, etc. I've played both games all the way through at least half a dozen times each (more like a dozen in the case of Fallout 2) since the first one was released in 1997, and a better game has not been created in the nine years since.

If you're a Mac gamer (or a PC gamer, for that matter) and you've never played Fallout and Fallout 2, you are doing yourself a harsh injustice.

[ Saturday, April 15, 2006 16:19: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #59
How did you first find avernum? Looking for Mac games that I could play for free on the Internet.
What game did you first play? Avernum 1.
Why did you play it? It was the only Avernum out at that point.
What is your favorite game? In the AT, probably A2. Among Avernum games overall, probably BoA. Among all games in general, gee, that's a tough one.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #60
Well, it started out looking for any free online rpgs. I searched and searched, and eventually came to a link to Spiderweb. I first played Nethergate, and hated it. I then played all Avernums in order and hated them. A year later, I got bored again and the same thing happened. Only this time I loved the games (and still do).

Nethergate. It was my favorite up until I got deep into Avernum 3. I may be the only person in the community who really loves A3.

Why did you play it?
I first played Nethergate because the sound of a somewhat history based game was very appealing. That, but also because anything with Romans in it is automatically great.

I find myself asking,"John, if you like the Romans so much, why do you always play the Celts?". I have no answer.

As I have already said, Avernum 3. It was amazing to me, and always left me with a feeling of playing a true gaming masterpiece. Besides, above the others, I love the way A3 was set up. Nethergate is a VERY close second, and after that I don't really care.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Warrior
Member # 6975
Profile Homepage #61
this is not the most interesting thing ever is it so y dont you just crawl in the darkest hole you can find and stay there!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ Wednesday, April 19, 2006 17:43: Message edited by: lord llama ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #62
Um, the next time you feel the urge to spam, don't.

Just a friendly reminder from your moderating staff.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #63
Hypothetically, do the words "burn in hell" break the CoC?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #64
quote:
Hypothetically, do the words "burn in hell" break the CoC?

Technically they might, but if you apply an FCC type interpretation then in would depend upon context.

quote:
From the CoC:
+ Using vulgarity and/or obscenities in any language (whether it's in the open, masked, or abbreviated)

I guess it's up to the mods, or as their now called protectors.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #65
Too late.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #66
Why do Spiderweb topics inevitably degenerate into fights over the epistemic status of "Burn in Hell"?

I first learned about Avernum in 2000 I believe. I read a review of Nethergate which sounded interesting, and I went to Spiderweb's website to download the demo. While I was there, I also downloaded the demos for Avernum 1 and Avernum 2.

I tried the Nethergate demo and loved it, so I went back to Spiderweb and registered it. While I was registering it, there was a sale of some kind, so I also bought the Exile trilogy CD and Blades of Exile without having tried them. When they arrived, I loaded the Exile I game and suddenly had the horrid realization that I'd played this game before. And hated it just as much before.

Back in 1994 as a freshman college student with a brand spankin' new Quadra 605, I tried out Exile. And hated it. The interface was crude. The graphics (the old ones) really sucked. The "guess-a-word" chat system annoyed the hell out of me. I didn't even make it as far as asking for supplies from Tor before I quit and threw the offending digital turd down the virtual toilet. Words cannot express how pissed off I was, 6 years later, for having just bought not 1, but 4 games I couldn't stand.

However, Nethergate rocked! I loved it. So much so that I decided to try the Avernum demos I'd downloaded and found they corrected all of the things that annoyed me about the Exile series. I duly bought Avernum 1 and 2.

I actually liked Avernum 1 and 2 about the same amount. I think Avernum 2 starts much better than 1, but Avernum 1 seemed to drag less toward the end.

I bought Avernum 3 but never got into it. I got as far as killing the slime machine and then stopped and have never turned back.

I bought Blades of Avernum and never got into it either. I don't know about the quality of the included scenarios except for VotDT, because that is the only one I ever played (I found it dull). I tried a couple of user-created scenarios, and found them okay, but nothing super interesting.

I bought Avernum 4 and the less said about it, the better... To paraphrase Kel, it ain't no Galactic Core.

Looking back at my experiences with Avernum, maybe I shouldn't buy Avernum 5. But I probably will. Do I ever learn from my mistakes?

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #67
Avernum 3 is all right once you get used to it. But it's annoying that if you don't destroy the monster plauges all the towns get destroyed :mad: .
So i just eliminate all the monster plauges at the biggining and do all the side quests in the middle and finish the game.
Although it gets boring when you play it 12 times in a row like i did.

--------------------
I hate you all
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #68
quote:

Although [Avernum 3] gets boring when you play it 12 times in a row like i did.
Dear God! I got bored after playing through it once. It was OK, but I'm not in a hurry to play it again. Why in the name of all that's good and holy would you play it 12 times?!

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #69
Because it was the only game i had registered at that time.

--------------------
I hate you all
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #70
How did you first find Avernum?
I got a games CD with the oldest versions of Exile and Exile 2 and when I got internet I went to the Spiderweb Software website and I found Avernum. :)

Exile if you are talking about Spiderweb Software,
Avernum 1 if you are talking about the avernum series. ;)

Why did you play it?
I was curious about it. :confused:

What is your favourite game?
It was once Avernum 3 but now it is Avernum 2 which I won on the 26th of April 2006. :D
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #71
How did you win A2?

P.S: A2 Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

--------------------
I hate you all
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #72
quote:

How did you win A2?
By completing the game.

—Alorael, who can be a little more specific. He undertook all the steps necessary to complete the game as well!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by Aussieavernum:

wINDOWS xp 2003 hOME eDITION SERVICE PACK 1
Why in the world are you bragging about that?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #74
I would assume from the context of the rest of the sig that it is a parody of the sorts of people who do brag about that kind of thing.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages