How did you discover Avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How did you discover Avernum?
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #0
How did you first find avernum?
What game did you first play?
Why did you play it?
What is your favorite game?

--------------------
I hate you all
Warrior
Member # 6875
Profile Homepage #1
I remember first playing Exile years back, when I was still in elementary I think. Avernum, on the other hand, I only picked up a year or 2 ago.

--------------------
Your mom's face! XD
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #2
1997-1998 i got a disc with some demos BoE was on it. I absolutely loved it. I got lost in other games later on (half-life, Diablo’s) but for some reason non of those games gave me such a long lasting impression as VoDT, I even bought the exile trilogy by mistake thinking it had blades of exile in it (not SW exile trilogy may I add, but its cool I sold it for more than I paid for it on ebay) anyway in 2003 or so I got BOA and then shortly after Avernum3, G3 and recently Avernum4 (I am on fire lol) I even thought about getting A1 and A2 but I couldn’t get used 2 the way characters moved (BIG SHAME)

Kind of sad that it all started with BoE and i only own the demo :(

Wow I did not mean for this to turn out this way…oh well. My fav game so far is A3 but I think I’d love the exiles a lot more if I had them…a little 2 late now.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #3
From 1991 I was playing Darklands by Microprose. It was then the most interesting and peerless game I've seen. I even copied all the riddles and puzzles from it. But since I've finished that medieval adventure I started searching for something to look like and there I found Exile I: Escape from the Pit. As for the Avernum, I came to it about two years ago.

Edit: Forgot about the last question. My favorite game, I guess, is King's Bounty. I'm inclined to think the same favor from me can be spread over the Warlords I.

[ Monday, April 10, 2006 01:10: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #4
I founf it by looking at the Spidweb Website. After playing Nethergate.

Something to do with chucking my food wildly around when I was 2 or so. Oh, so you meant computer games... Probably Minesweeper or Solitaire.

Why did you play it?
Because.

Hmmm... At the moment, GF3. Or Nethergate.

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Since this is in the Avernum Trilogy Forum, Dikiyoba assumes that all questions are about Avernum.

How did you first find Avernum?
Shareware CD.

Avernum 2.

Why did you play it?
Because it was on the CD and Dikiyoba was bored.

Avernum 2.

Edit: Typo.

[ Monday, April 10, 2006 07:55: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #6
spidweb.com

Exile 3

Why did you play it?
Because I was 10 (I think) and that was the only game my brother had downloaded onto the computer.

Nethergate.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I found Avernum because I already liked Exile and Nethergate, and I played them in order. A2 is my favorite, both because it is the best and because I am a mindless sheep that follows popular opinion.

—Alorael, who does not have any deep psychological insight into why he does anything, much less why he specifically plays Avernum.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Since this is in the Avernum Trilogy Forum, Dikiyoba assumes that all questions are about Avernum.

I hope it is quite discussable. Still, while no special comments are made by the thread's author, I guess it is for the one answering to decide, Dikiyoba included :)
BTW in my lang "Dikiyoba" should be translated (homophonically) as "both are wild". A coincidence? :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Originally by Meeshka:

quote:
BTW in my lang "Dikiyoba" should be translated (homophonically) as "both are wild". A coincidence?
What is the name of your language? I'll make note of it on my list of names.

Dikiyoba's name can be transformed in many ways. Now it can be translated in many ways as well. (Human) nature abhors a vacuum and attaches meaning to the meaningless.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
Hm... got A2 on a MacAddict CD, and things proceeded from there. My favorite is naturally A2.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #11
I found Avernum 2 when I stambled across www.spidweb.com in summer of 2001. As for Spidweb games in general, I first found Exile II when looking online for sharewere in whatever year it came out. I think it might have been on AOL games. I played it because I like RPGs and because I wasn't allowed to buy computer games at the time. When I found A2, I've registered that, and a couple of later Spidweb games as well. My favorite computer game is Civilization 4, but if you are talking about Avernum games, it's A2.

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Meeshka:

quote:
BTW in my lang "Dikiyoba" should be translated (homophonically) as "both are wild". A coincidence?
What is the name of your language? I'll make note of it on my list of names.

Dikiyoba's name can be transformed in many ways. Now it can be translated in many ways as well. (Human) nature abhors a vacuum and attaches meaning to the meaningless.

I think his language is Russian. I'd translate it from Russian as "wild Oba". "Dikiy" is male form of adjective "wild" and "oba" means "both", but to make it gramatically correct it would be "Dikiyeoba" (using plural form of "wild"). I guess Dikiyeoba could go on your list as "botharewild".

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

... but to make it gramatically correct it would be "Dikiyeoba" (using plural form of "wild")

I think you wanted to say "Dikieoba" then. That is why I specified only homophonical similarity without changing the original. I like the spelling of Dikiyoba.
And yes, my first native language is Russian.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #13
this is getting off topic...meeshka my russian is rather rusty but arent u supposed to say oba first and then dikiy???
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #14
Word order in Russian isn't as fixed as in English, so either is fine. Although oba dikije, does sound better than dikije oba. Which word goes first determines emphasis: "Oba vi dikije" emphasizes "both", while "Dikije vi oba" emphasizes "wild".

And to try to get this discussion back towards the topic of Avernum, how did people come up with Vahnatai language? It seems to appear in only a few places in the game, but Drakey has a whole dictionary.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
He made it up.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #16
I found Spidweb's website when I inherited an old mac from a family member, hooked it up to the internet (my first computer - freedom was MINE) and googled something like "download free games mac". So then I got the A1 demo, and played it ad nauseum. A while later the A2 demo came out, so I played that to death too. Then I explored the website more carefully and played more or less all the demos, including E1-3 and BoE, and after about a year I managed to persuade someone to let me use their credit card (didn't have my own one then) to register A1 and A2. I've also got A3, BoA and Nethergate now.

I don't know which game is my favourite, but I think I enjoyed playing A1 and A2 best, since I'd played the demos for so long that it was a huge relief once I finally got past the registration barriers. Haven't played any other computer games in the last ten years or so except for Myst and Riven.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by rantalot:

this is getting off topic...
Not for the first time on this boards, as I have understood. :)
To make it back on topic, all newcomers should just answer the first questions. :D
And for homophone names I suppose there is a place somewhere on general board for a new thread, isn't it? ;) Sorry for a sudden offtopic

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
Originally by Meeshka:

quote:
And for homophone names I suppose there is a place somewhere on general board for a new thread, isn't it? Sorry for a sudden offtopic
It's better just to leave it here and keep several discussions in this topic going at once. And you don't have anything to apologize for. It was highly enlightening.

It would be great if Dikiyoba is an account run by two hooligans. Unfortunately, Dikiyoba is an account run by one well-behaved individual. Or at least mostly well-behaved.
Apprentice
Member # 7019
Profile #19
I found Avernum after GF1, which I found by doing a Google search for "shareware and Mac".

First Avernum game: A2

Favorite game (in the trilogy): A2
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #20
I discovered Avernum four years ago. I had been playing the Nethergate demo to death since 1999 and found the trilogy when I went to find out how to buy the full version of Nethergate.

First Avernum: A1
Favorite Avernum: A2

[ Wednesday, April 12, 2006 09:23: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 6975
Profile Homepage #21
i first found avernum through my friend bomber he told me abought it and well here i am a member of the software boards...so ty bomber ;)

if my spelling is bad i dont care dont post abought it :mad:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #22
Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
I discovered Avernum 4 years ago.
Really? It's been out for years? I thought it was more recent than that. :P

Originally by llama:

quote:
if my spelling is bad i dont care dont post abought it
Obviously, you do care. Just type your posts in Word or some other program with a spell check and then copy and paste them into your reply. It won't take too much effort and will make you and everyone else much happier.

Dikiyoba has been trying to persuade a friend to download a Spiderweb Software game for months. The lack of Internet at said friend's house makes this difficult.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #23
The computer my dad bought when I was 7 or so came with a lot of games on it for some reason (I think we got it used…). They were all those old classics like Civilization and Ultima III, and among them was the demo version of Exile 1.1.3. I had no idea how it worked (after a couple years, I found the instruction menu and found out that you don't talk in complete sentences), but screwed around with it a bunch, off and on. Then something odd happened and I apparently lost the actual application. (Don't ask me how…) I searched for Exile online, found Spiderweb Software's site, and redownloaded it (although it was 2.0.1, the graphics of which are vastly inferior, at least IMO). I had no idea there were more games. I played through the demos of Exile 2 (which, I found out, actually WAS named "Crystal Souls", not "Hordes of Monsters Ripping AT YOUR FACE!!!" or whatever the other title was =D=D) and 3, then Nethergate, then this weird "Avernum" business. (Huh?! A remake of Exile? So it was.) I don't know which I like better. Exile is classic, but Avernum has more quests, therefore character development… meh.

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Warrior
Member # 6975
Profile Homepage #24
hay bomber your back on..ty agaion for putting me onto avernum and u got a pm in your box :P

Pages