The most boring spell and monster

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The most boring spell and monster
Warrior
Member # 4971
Profile Homepage #0
Slow spell and Mung demons
And you?
Posts: 65 | Registered: Wednesday, September 15 2004 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
I found the Slow spell very useful at times, and Mung Demons are near the top of my list of challenging/annoying creatures (along with Doomguards and invunerable Hill Giant Chiefs).

I'd say Terror and Eyebeasts/Gazers.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will not strike a bargain with a demonic being then attempt to double-cross it simply because I feel like being contrary.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
In the avernum series, I found the spray acid spell to be near useless in any difficult situations where the usual offensive spells are ineffective. Summon beast and shade are of course pathetic.

The most boring monster has to be the wizard. He is pretty tough for low level parties, but after a while his constant lackluster Arcane Summoning puts you into an autopilot type of coma.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Hm... most boring spell for all of the Trilogy? Terror in A3. In A4, it was almost useable. In BoA, it has some value. But in A3 it was pathetic.

Most boring monster? I'm tempted to say either chitrach larva or Alien Beasts. I mean, with the Beasts, you're at the end of the game, so you expect something really tough, right? And then you get to Tinraya, and find out that they're just a bunch of melee-focused monsters. I mean seriously, Slow will take them out of a battle.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
In A2, Bind Foe at level 2. What's the point of putting something to sleep if attacking it will just wake it up? Bind Foe at level 1 was more effective for me. Of course, Sanctuary was a pretty useless spell as well.

Dikiyoba is still thinking about the most boring monster part. Ogres in A2, maybe?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Of course, Sanctuary was a pretty useless spell as well.
I disagree. Avernum has never offered a better way to either:
1) Escape a fight that's too difficult
or
2) Buy a lot of time to shield/bless/haste/heal.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Well, I never found it useful. My party blesses/hastes/shields itself before going around every unexplored corner. (And then they go wander outside for a while after going around several unexplored corners.) I don't use it. Then again, I don't use exactly half of the spells in the game.

Repel spirit (level 3) is probably one of Dikiyoba's favorite spells. With it, haste (level 3), and a good line-of-sight, Dikiyoba's party can hit anything undead eight times in a single round.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #7
One spell that I never though very highly of was smite. It is relatively expensive to cast, doesn't do much damage , and doesn't hit many targets. I usually end up wishing that I hadn't wasted my priest's time with it.

I liked it a lot when haste level 3 affected the whole party. That really came in handy.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #8
At high levels Arcane Summon was one of my favourite. An opportunity to summon a Drake or any sort of magic-using creature is rather nice. Slow in pair with haste is rather helpful at low level, when you need to do more damage before your opponent can strike back.
I think, I'll agree that mage's Bind Foe and priest's Terror (no such in A1) or priests Smite in A1 come to me most boring.
As for the monster, I cannot figure out, which one standalone creature in the most annoying, except Doomguard. All I remember, that I hated to meet at low level with a dozen or couple of dozens Gremlins.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #9
In A2 Arcane Summon was a bit odd. At the level one the guaranteed vampire was nice, level two guaranteed a demon, which was quite useful, but then level 3 always gave an eyebeast, which may technically have been a more powerful spellcaster than the demon, but had fewer hp, and lacked the melee capability. I found once I had level 3 that I wanted level 2 back.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
I always hated Call Beast, because the choices were so bad at low levels. At least with Summon Aid you got multiple monsters to distract your enemy.

Doomguards were just boring hack and slash. Spells didn't do much so it was just haste, bless, and fight. In A2 you also had to make sure they didn't swarm the spellcasters. But it was just a half hour I'll never get back. In Exile they were so pitiful in attacking that even my spellcasters could kill them and almost never take damage.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #11
It'd have to be spray acid and those bloody gremlins for me. Both useless and annoying.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #12
Now I've understood, that Spray Acid is really a borin one.

And the monsters: how is that wyrm called, shooting spheres of darkness, taking almost 150hp at a time? That was annoying with not-so-high party level. I used to send one prey to fight them hand-to-hand, and others somewhere behind the corner casting healing and protecting spells.

P.S. I always wondered, how on earth does the healing in Avernum work, when one can be REALLY far from the healer, including several walls between them?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Apprentice
Member # 6428
Profile #13
call beast and shade.slow is also boring.i haven't figured the moster part. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
I'd have to say the most boring monster is the doomguard.

Why?

If you've slain one, you've slain it a hundred times! HAHAHA! :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Whan Aprill with his shoures sote:

I'd have to say the most boring monster is the doomguard.

Why?

If you've slain one, you've slain it a hundred times! HAHAHA! :P

If you really want to fight a Doomguard one hundred times, try using Cloud of Blades on it. So...many...Doomguards...make them go away!

I think Spray Acid, Call Beast, Summon Spirit and Terror are all boring. All the other spells have their uses.

There are several monsters I consider boring...like goblins, NORMAL golems and Guardians.

So what? You're an invisible melee-based demon. I'll just haste and bless myself and go Demonslayer on you. Or, at least, they were demons in A2.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
Doomguards are tough... until you get an Ur-Basilisk in your Soul Crystal. I'm not sure whether Doomguards being vunerable to stoning was intentional or a bug. Either way...

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
Before employing any captured artifacts or machinery, I will carefully read the owner's manual.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Forcecage is the most boring spell. Its only purpose is to drag out fights even longer! Bolt of Fire is also pretty boring, though. Deal some damage to an enemy. Huzzah! So original!

As for boring enemies, well, the Avernum trilogy doesn't have many monsters that are engrossing. My vote goes to any of the hundreds of monsters that exist only to charge you, miss a few times, and then die horribly.

—Alorael, who doesn't think Dark Wyrms are boring. Annoying and pesky, yes, but not boring. At least a frontal assault isn't guaranteed to take them down painlessly.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
So far, Dark Wyrms (upward of 4-5 of them) are the only thing besides TM-created monstrosities that are still a challenge for my highest-level party. Once it gets to 7, I need to restore a few times to get all my characters to come out alive.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by The holy blisful martir for to seke:

So far, Dark Wyrms (upward of 4-5 of them) are the only thing besides TM-created monstrosities that are still a challenge for my highest-level party. Once it gets to 7, I need to restore a few times to get all my characters to come out alive.
This reminds me of Nephilim Mystery... or more specifically, one of the few novel parts of Nephilim Mystery. Also, I recall one town in Tinraya in A3 which had a few of these monstrosities.

I hate them, as I hate anything that all but requires downing an invulnerability potion or protection brew in order to kill.

EDIT: And once they've been installed in a Soul Crystal, I find that summoned Wyrms never do their darkness-breathing ability. Quite a letdown, though they can still pack a moderately-sized punch in melee.

[ Friday, March 31, 2006 13:35: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #20
Most boring moster goes to vapor rats. They constantly breathe curse on you, even well after you are cursed and it has no more effect. This is kind of hard when they are summoned by your enemies and the curse makes you susceptible to stronger attacks, but when they are alone they waste their time with cursing and never attack. I've noticed the same from spiders overusing web, (although this strategy is hell for a singleton.)
Most boring spell.... Exile had plenty of pretty boring spells, but also plenty of intersting ones (quickfire was always a rush, lets see if I can get out of town before I have to spend hours listening to every townsman being burned.) Avernum's spells are more functional, and its useless spells have been pointed out already (terror, acid), but the question is which are boring. I'll say heal or cure poison, I probably cast them the most, and each time it is progressively less interesting.

[ Friday, March 31, 2006 15:34: Message edited by: Lazarus ]

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #21
Most boring spell? I'll go with summoning - when the monsters cast it it drags the combat out for longer, while when you cast it it costs a lot of energy and potentially stops you gaining experience.

Most boring monster? I'd say guards, actually. Very tough with lots of health but without any interesting abilities to make it challenging. In E2 I remember you sometimes met entire parties of guards and it took AGES to kill them all, without being any sort of threat.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 4971
Profile Homepage #22
Thanks all for posting, but many didn't understand "the most boring spell"... not the spell to be used for you but the spell used against you(I think that slow is the most boring because the enemies atacks you 2 times and when they're hasted, 3 times which gives you greater chance to die...)
Posts: 65 | Registered: Wednesday, September 15 2004 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
You just said "most boring spell and monster." That can be taken many, many ways. Besides, more general questions can get a better response.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by That hem hath holpen:

—Alorael, who doesn't think Dark Wyrms are boring. Annoying and pesky, yes, but not boring. At least a frontal assault isn't guaranteed to take them down painlessly.
Sorry, mixed up "boring" and "bothering". And I didn't call'em boring, btw.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Pages