Geneforge features in Avernum 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge features in Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #0
What features first found in spiderweb games in the Geneforge series do you hope are used in Avernum 4? How about hope are not used?

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=VaiSlWPSilob"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=VaiSlWPSilob"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Huh. There wasn't a single thing on that list that I actively wanted to see in A4, but I had to choose one anyway, so I said non-combat alternatives, because it seems like it has the most promise.

The first three and the last one are a few that I hope we DON'T see, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I actually don't mind #3. Anything that makes travelling from place to place take less time and effort is A-OK by me. Which is what makes the realtime walking in Geneforge so puzzling, really. At least in Fallout you could run.

[ Friday, June 24, 2005 18:44: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #3
I'm not a fan of any of the Geneforges so I don't want to see most of that ruining Avernum 4 for me. The only thing from that list that would be a good addition would be item crafting but it's not really that big of a deal anyway. I don't think that things from the Avernum series and the Geneforge series should be mixed at all because theres a lot of people who like one series and not the other.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #4
Geneforge > Avernum Argument over :P :P :P
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #5
You're not going to win any arguments with a statement like that.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Especially since you're in the minority here.

None of the Geneforge traits bowl me over, but item crafting has some potential. A little bit of it appeared in A3, too, so it's not all that unlikely.

Real-time exploration, no outdoors, and character classes are on my death list.

—Alorael, who would rather see a Nethergate-style game with two almost entirely different plots based on factions than Geneforge-style cosmetic factions.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
The weight/AP thingy in the poll. I like the idea of being able to carry more junk around. But I should suffer for it by having it all shed from my inventory when I start combat, plus the pain of not being able to act until the 2nd round.

Now that would be realistic.

*this message is wavering on the screen like a mirage*

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
Although I like many of the Geneforge elements, I'd prefer Avernum 4 to remain as Avernumy as possible. I like both engines for different reasons, and each has its advantages and disadvantages. Oranges and apples.

But there are a few things that would cross over well—how weight is handled, item crafting, and character types, for instance.

Reputation in the Avernum games works similarly to leadership in Geneforge (even though it's not a trainable skill) inasmuch as you have to have a certain level of it in order for people to react to you differently and let you do things.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #9
Most of the decent things are already in the Avernum TrSeries.Geneforge series and Avernum series are too difffrent from one anotehr to really work properly.

Sorry if my post is a bit weird and garbled, but I can;t actually SEE waht I'm typing (I'm havg computer problems)

SO yeah, I went for leadership (which could influence rep maybe somehow, and what i definitely don't want is to take the outdoors away. It;'s an intregal part of Avernum.Exile, and NEEDS to reamin.

- Micael
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #10
I personally would LOVE to see a completely new game series.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #11
I'd personally like to see more Nethergate(although I haven't had enough money to register the origional).
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #12
I can't say I really want any Geneforge features in Avernum 4. Since I had to choose, though, I said the ability to complete most quests without combat.

The features I would most not like to see are numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5.

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by xxo:

I can't say I really want any Geneforge features in Avernum 4. Since I had to choose, though, I said the ability to complete most quests without combat.
This pretty much sums it up for me as well. "None of the above" would have been a good option.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #14
The only things in that list that I would really like to see in A4 is an item crafting system, and maybe real-time exploration.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #15
Don't want: lack of grid system, which leads to blocked routes for no good reason; the combat action point system, what exactly are you supposed to do when your turn comes round, and you only have 1 or 2 APs, it's insulting.

Do want: some of the creatures and spells (e.g. steel skin) could be transferred into Avernum. Plus the special effects for essence orbs and aura of flames are cool. Also, it would be interesting to add a personality penalty to your party for learning L3 spells (similar to the effect for canisters in GF).

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
I want to play on the Empire side in A4. Crush the wormz.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
I believe Geneforge uses a hexagonal grid, underneath the usually rectangular floorplans, and this explains most of the odd features in Geneforge movement.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #18
Why not just go the whole way and use Penrose tiling?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

Also, it would be interesting to add a personality penalty to your party for learning L3 spells (similar to the effect for canisters in GF).
That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard in my entire life!!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #20
Ouch :)

However, I don't see why you should continue to get something for nothing.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
By that reasoning, you should be penalized for every skill you boost, every spell and recipe you learn, and so on. Sometimes fun has to reign over morals.

—Alorael, who thinks finding those level 3 spells can be punishment enough. You don't need to be penalized for finding secrets.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #22
For normal training you have to expend skill points and/or coins to improve your PCs. Whereas L3 spells are typically found "lying around" in dungeons.

It really is very similar to GF2/3. You can obtain up to 2 levels in each spell/ability by paying a trainer. You don't need any more than that, but if you wish you can further boost the skill by seeking out and finding free magic books/canisters. It seems reasonable to suggest that there should be some consequences for making that choice.

On occasions A3 has already done something similar - in order to get dispel barrier L3, you must commit a crime.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #23
Actually he says you are free to look through his library, just don't take any of the books out of the library so it wouldn't be a crime if you read the book then leave it there. The crime part is the guy who asks you to steal it for him for a quest with the reward of 2 points of resistance.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
That's also not the only way to get Dispel Barrier level 3. You can also learn it in the Cavern of Screams, I think.

—Alorael, who wholeheartedly supports theft from Ernest. How else will you get two points of resistance?