A3: The first party of explorers.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A3: The first party of explorers.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
In Avernum 3, the first party of adventurers sent to explore the surface never returned. The player's party is sent as the second one.

I don't have the time right now to play all through the game and find out about these characters, so could someone please tell me what were their names, and where did they each end up? I know one was lying dead in the slime pit somewhere, but I can't remember the others...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Erin is in the slime pit. Elsner is in the Filth Factory. Gwost is in the Golddale Mines. Tucker is (alive!) in Softport.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
And Erin was a woman, and the other three were men?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I believe that is correct.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #4
What about Sandra in Sharamik (The one who talks about the bunker).

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Apprentice
Member # 4001
Profile Homepage #5
She's not part of the first exploration party, but a covert operative of Anaximander. She's intended to be there. Unlike the explorers, who just got lost and never reported back I think.

--------------------
I may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
I must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
I must protect my own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Not lost, exactly. Three of them got dead, which severely inhibits reporting ability, and one is injured but planning to return as soon as he recovers, I believe. He doesn't do it in the first 500 days of A3, but maybe he's just a bit moribund.

—Alorael, who bets he put on the Xian Boots. That's probably the reason for all his foot dragging.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5498
Profile #7
Actualy, tucker reports back as soon as you find him. And why don't the first parties corpses have anything worth while on them?

Of course, we all know why they were unsucsessful and we(teh second party) win, we stick together and join the ANAMA, then turn around and slaughter them all! Followed up by training soly in magic except for one idiot who sticks with prietly magic.

Wow, I have an unhealthy habit going here, i think.

--------------------
He who giggles for joy everytime he hears the talking skulls voice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #8
There are 3 people I know of from Avernum on the surface; Dwaine in Lorelei, Sandra (eitherin Sharimik or Lorelei), and someone in Porter's Retreat, who weren't in the first group. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by TakenName:

Wow, I have an unhealthy habit going here, i think.

You do indeed. It's called spamming.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #10
I bet that the guy in the Golddale Mines wasn't killed, he was killed by insanity from listening to X's "little friend" (AKA The Xian Skull) for too long. :D :D :D

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
I do wonder why the first party failed so miserably when the player party is, after all so successful. The only conclusion is that the first party considered of a bunch of lousy imbeciles, which makes one wonder why Unspec. Services chose them.

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Daryl Mycroft [Arancaytar:
]
I do wonder why the first party failed so miserably when the player party is, after all so successful. The only conclusion is that the first party considered of a bunch of lousy imbeciles, which makes one wonder why Unspec. Services chose them.
Or they knocked out all of the tough monsters before you even came up.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Or maybe they were literally the first four men and women that Covert Ops (Unspecified Services was a better organization...) could get their hands on. And don't forget that they were equipped with Xian items. That could ruin anyone's day.

—Alorael, who also suspects that they couldn't save and reload. Honestly, how many times have you made it through A3 without dying once?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
There's also the fact that the first group up were basically scouts, not fighters. The monster plagues weren't anticipated, and they certainly weren't going to be fighting the Empire in any case.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #15
if i remember correctly, there is a guitar-playing woman from avernum in kriszan.

the first group was actually much more powerful in the beginning, only they were too arrogant.

im wondering... there are some problems concerning that whole first-group-thing. as an example: anaximander got some early reports from the first exploration group (he knew in which directions they went after they split up), but he apparently doesnt know that fort emergence (and valorim) is quite much the middle of nowhere.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
Yes, a logical paradox left by the switch between Exile and Avernum and the addition of the first party. I suppose you could make up a funky conspiracy theory to fill that plothole...

On the other hand, it does make sense if they really *never* reported back, not even after first reaching the surface. Which, again, would make them rather incompetent operatives. Or could there have been sabotage?

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #17
Well, it seems like they all split up, resulting in their bodies and equipment being scattered around Valorim. Facing monsters by yourself when you were just expecting to scout can be a shock. And besides, their armor may have been trying to kill them.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
It's possible that they were sent to do some very serious and long-range reconnaissance before reporting back. Little things like traitorous equipment, monster plagues, and hostile crowds of people who lost relatives to the Worms could have impeded proper debriefing.

—Alorael, who would also like to point out that most player parties probably don't return to Fort Emergence all that frequently. Who's to say a bunch of hot shot heroes would be more prone to reporting?
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #19
So three guys and one girl. The guys dumped the girl dead in a pit, covered with slimey oozes. Then one went off ended up in a pile of filth, the other was a money mad, and the last preferred softport. I think I overestimated Anaximanders prowess in choing a group.

[ Monday, February 28, 2005 17:05: Message edited by: whitenightever ]
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #20
The first group could have easily been amateurs. The second group (player group) was entirely inexperienced. They recommended taking care of the Avernum’s minor problems that children with sticks could have fended off, but I was able to go to the surface whether they ware dealt with or not.

Alexander probably just wanted the first group to look around and make sure the surface was still inhabited. Of course once you get out in to the sun and meet all the nice tan people there is a lot to do. There is also the possibility they just didn’t want to go back.

I may be over analyzing, but how is it that no one else in the world could solve these problems but our group? The Empire was willing to send thousands of soldiers down to Avernum to avenge their king, but not to protect their surface home. If four or less of us could fix these problems surly 50 of them could have before so much death and destruction resulted.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

The first group could have easily been amateurs. The second group (player group) was entirely inexperienced. They recommended taking care of the Avernum’s minor problems that children with sticks could have fended off, but I was able to go to the surface whether they ware dealt with or not.

Alexander probably just wanted the first group to look around and make sure the surface was still inhabited. Of course once you get out in to the sun and meet all the nice tan people there is a lot to do. There is also the possibility they just didn’t want to go back.

I may be over analyzing, but how is it that no one else in the world could solve these problems but our group? The Empire was willing to send thousands of soldiers down to Avernum to avenge their king, but not to protect their surface home. If four or less of us could fix these problems surly 50 of them could have before so much death and destruction resulted.

Ouch. Anaximander. Emperor, not King.

Someone check it, but I'm pretty sure thousands were never sent down to Avernum. The teleporters would not have sufficed for that amount of troops.

Also, the teleporters to Avernum were in the established parts of Ermarian, where a lot of soldiers can be mustered rapidly. Sending these soldiers over the mountain ranges to defend Valorim would have been very tricky. Although they have, in fact, managed to do so: A huge host of Empire soldiers is camping in a small valley southeast of Blackcrag.

Well, the player group are the heros. If heros were as mortal as Non-Playing Characters, this wouldn't be called an RPG, right? :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
It is a bit strange that the Empire is willing and able to teleport troops into hostile territory in Avernum but can't set up a similar system in Valorim, where the troops are needed and wanted and the locals are probably inclined to be helpful rather than murderous.

—Alorael, who doesn't have any explanation for why Anaximander sends out a bunch of wet behind the ears level 1 bumblers. Sure, he says that he needed someone urgently before the military botches everything, but... padded resumés, perhaps?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #23
There definitely were thousands of soldiers in Avernum - the party kills hundreds of them by themselves.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Mourning Account #21:

It is a bit strange that the Empire is willing and able to teleport troops into hostile territory in Avernum but can't set up a similar system in Valorim, where the troops are needed and wanted and the locals are probably inclined to be helpful rather than murderous.
With the tongue firmly in cheek, I might briefly explore the possibility of an allegory to real world politics. Always take into account the views of the author. :P

After all, Avernites could be described as terrorists...

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 14:00: Message edited by: Daryl Mycroft [Arancaytar] ]

--------------------

Pages