A3: The first party of explorers.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A3: The first party of explorers.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #25
Yes the larger teleporter was not yet functional, however it would not be too difficult to send a single soldier through at a time. It would be easy to send thousands through within a couple hours.

Hmmm, maybe we killed all their forces when they were sent to Avernum. They possibly didn’t help their citizens because they had barely enough soldiers to hold on.

Just for the sake of saying it, it would not have been very difficult of over through the throne. I wonder if the common folk would have supported that, seeing as we were their protectors.
:P
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #26
I think the rationalization for the Empire's responce (or lack thereof) to the plagues was that Prazac was concerned about maintaining an effective quarantine. Presumably, if there's a way for soldiers to get in, there's a way for monsters to get out.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
Besides, Avernum 3 wouldn't be half as much fun with huge armies of Empire soldiers tearing apart the plagues. What would be the point of the game?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Apprentice
Member # 4119
Profile #28
There is nothing to suggest that the 1st group were a bunch of incompentant amateurs. They may well have been an elite group of highly trained killing machines. However they are not the prodigously gifted folk of legend that our parties quickly prove themselves to be, then who is?

We wipe out hideous, plagues that have over-whelmed the combined efforts of entire continents; destroy beasts of darkness they have reigned with terror for decades and uncover long lost mythical treasures than many have spent thier entire lives searching for, in futile.

Don't be so hard on the 1st party (God rest thier souls), we're just different class.

[ Wednesday, March 02, 2005 14:57: Message edited by: Eldritch_Cadillac ]
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #29
The first party of explorers were probably well equipped, but too careless. They thought they were the best of the best, the creme of the crop, but they went their different ways, and died one by one.

Either that or there was a plauge of Dragons and the dragons killed all of them and framed cochroaches and slimes.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Apprentice
Member # 5488
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Holy Toenail4.333333....:

The first party of explorers were probably well equipped, but too careless. They thought they were the best of the best, the creme of the crop, but they went their different ways, and died one by one.

Either that or there was a plauge of Dragons and the dragons killed all of them and framed cochroaches and slimes.

yeah i really like that. The first party never had the Avernum editor! MUAHAHHAHA! Anyways, wow...

--------------------
I wonder how the people can live in some games without using the bathroom commonly or drink any water? They don't change their clothes much, even if they get wounded... Life is a mystery...
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #31
Maybe they would have done better had they remained a group.

While on the topic of their equipment, how long did everyone carry the Xian Scull around? That thing spoke up at some really bad times.
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #32
They would have probably died by Dark Wurms or Empire assasssins

--------------------
Trouser Snake.
Mustakrakish.

Infiltrators? No. Agents? YES!!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

Maybe they would have done better had they remained a group.

While on the topic of their equipment, how long did everyone carry the Xian Scull around? That thing spoke up at some really bad times.

That thing could well have been their doom...

*cue 4 adventurers silently sneaking through a dark tunnel*

Elsner: (whispering) Don't make a noise, or the Ogres will hear us and we're dead.

Xian Skull (loudly yelling): HEY FOLKS, I'M A TALKING SKULL, AIN'T THAT GREAT?!

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #34

Well, that could be one reason, but the fact that they split up was propably the cause of their unsuccesfulness. Seriously, play the game trough with a singleton without dying and reloading even once, and then call the first party amateurs.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #35
Why did X create the Xian Skull, or the Xian Plant, for that matter? What's really the point of either of them?

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
X has a tenured academic position. He's not required to be useful anymore. He has time, resources, and immense magical powers, and he can make magical multiplying plants if he pleases.

—Alorael, who would really like to know what Xian items Tucker still has. Could there be an Xian Wand of anvil flinging?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
Certainly it must be something good if it was able to make up for the rest of the crap they got and allowed him to survive...

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #38
I didn't equipped any of the Xian stuff (except the scull, I kept hoping it would say something useful eventually.) It all seemed to do more harm than good. X made it all sound like great stuff. He was very powerful, surly he could have created things that would not diminish the wearer.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 19:52: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #39
X has a weird sense of humor, if I remember correctly.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5627
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Daryl Mycroft [Arancaytar:
]
X has a weird sense of humor, if I remember correctly.
The kind only the most talented and demented of wizards can muster. 20,000 volt handbuzzers, anyone? Anvils above the door, mayhaps?
Warrior
Member # 497
Profile #41
Actually, the fact that no one seems to make it through the game without dying a couple times raises a good point.

You can't cast Raise Dead on yourself.

Splitting up was the worst thing the party could have done. Maybe they would have done alright in pairs, but going each his own way was a stupid thing to do.

--------------------
Evil comes in many forms. I am but one of them.
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #42
I always thought the lack of troops was particially due to the Empire lacking an "adequite" leader in the eyes of most of the nobles and other high ups, it seemed like Empress Prazac was struggling to maintain power and control after the death of Emperor and the failed war with Avernum, I suspect there was alot of serious political whatnots going on in the background.

As for the why the first expedition was slaughtered, the following conversation may explain why.

Solberg "hmm, I can't remember, did we tell that first expedition not to stare directly into the sun?"

X "hmmm ... well ... we taught them about trees ... and how to get hit by a fireball .... no, can't say we told them that"

Solberg "Uh well, maybe next time eh?"

[ Friday, July 22, 2005 12:23: Message edited by: Mortimer ]

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #43
Valorim was a backwoods continent, and there were not many troops there to begin with. And with the destruction of the Keep of Tinraya, they decided that they would basically just abandon Valorim to its fate unless/until they could find out what was creating the monsters and how they could stop it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages