Legendary Creatures In Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Legendary Creatures In Avernum
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
Hi, all,
A new conceptual topic. There are a lot of legendary creatures from mythology in Avernum. How do you think so many legends from earth ended up in Avernum. Also what is your favorite legendary creature floating around in Avernum?

The following creatures peaked my interest:

Dragon
Griffon
Naga
Pixie
Raksashi
Vampire

What new creatures do you think will be added soon.

Some which would be cool to see would be:

Tengu
Werewolf-- I think you could script a man to turn into a wolf.
Roc
Chupibaraca
Manticore
Sphinx (perfect for riddles)
etc.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #1
I want to see Minotaurs, Sirens, The Furies, Pookas, Nature Spirits, Shadows, Dire Animals, Blood Ravens, and some others I can't bring to mind just yet.

EDIT: Giant Blue/Green/Red Chickens

[ Saturday, September 11, 2004 14:36: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #2
By "Chupibaraca," you meant "Chupacabra,"  right?

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #3
The furies, as in the ones in battlezone? :P
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #4
Hey aren't there unicorns in A3? If there are thats one more. I think that it would be cool if there were some type of water monster- if only this was possible- like the leviathan or unspeakable horror.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #5
Yes, chupacabra-- "goat sucker" the livestock eating monster. Of course we have to a few jackalopes around too. :P

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #6
No, I mean the Furies as in the 3 Furies. What is BattleZone?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #7
How about the Four Horseman? You know, War, Pestilence, and the rest.

They'd be kind of fun, as the ultimate evil that you have to destroy (in a scenario).
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #8
Then again there's jack o'-- winged horses/ pegasus, pheonixes- more eastern wyrmy dragons, centaurs, and a whole lot of undead. A Greek god scenario might be interesting if you wanted the furies :) Don't know how you would relate it to Avernum though :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh dear- last post as Apprentice. How horrible :eek:

[ Saturday, September 11, 2004 17:43: Message edited by: macrsp ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #9
The Furies deliver the Justice of the Gods. Judge, Jury, Executioner. No need to be Greek. How about 3 self-willed demi-gods?

Hmmm. Famine, War, Pestilence, and Death.

Ah. Another monster: Chaos Lords/Beings

EDIT:
Can you even kill the Four Horsemen? They are personifications of nature. I don't even consider them evil, but as just regular Joes doing an honest days work for an honest days pay. :cool:

[ Saturday, September 11, 2004 17:48: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #10
Well, maybe you can banish them or something. You obviusly can't kill parts of nature, like you say, but you might be able to banish the symbols of that nature.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
In a move of unprecedented liberalism, I hereby illegalize the letter "W".

The three Fates are the seamstresses of life, revered even by Wotan himself. (They are also the reason of Wotan's sadness, as he often consulted them.) The first fury makes the string, the second weaves it, and the third cuts it.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2099
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by EternalSpearman:

How about the Four Horseman? You know, War, Pestilence, and the rest.

They'd be kind of fun, as the ultimate evil that you have to destroy (in a scenario).

You could have that as the beginning of the scenario, the PCs killing the four horsemen, and then go off on a tangent about how destruction and disease are actually GOOD and NATURAL, because without them, pesty animal populations would skyrocket.

So having killed them you'd have to slag your way through the scenario, killing thousands of easy-to-kill rabbits, coping with the all pests.
Then HAVE the 4 PCs realize that dealing with the consequences of killing the 4 horsemen, they have TAKEN THEIR PLACE!!!!

NOBODY READ THE TOPIC ABOUT EATING MEAT
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
But if it weren't for starvation, disease and death, population increases wouldn't be a bad thing, would they? Okay, so after a couple of dozen generations we'd all have to start standing on top of each other to make room, but still... :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
Looking through the Louvre-- There are already graphics for dryad, faery, harpy, and satyr. I think in the Arcane summoning spells you can get a centaur. Looking through the default creatures in Erik Westra's Blades of Avernum Cookbook we have unicorn, imp, ogre, pixie, salamander, witch, hydra, centaur, centaur chief, basilisk, demon, dragon, drake, drake lord, naga, efreet, giant, giant chief, raksasha. If you use the graphics from Nethergate you can expand this get more fairies, formorians, and other stuff. Also if you take the "Speres" from Emerald Mountain you have a set of tribesman to go with a legendary scenario.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Uh, those tribesmen were taken from Nethergate too. :P

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #16
Nethack has the Four Horsemen. Three of them (Famine, Pestilence and Death) are in the endgame, and they all come back to life when you kill them, bastards.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #17
Of course there are also a variety of hoax animals that might be fun to put in--
giant riding rooster, fur bearing trout, hodag-- horse dog, jackalope, skvader-- flying hare, and woofen-poof-- flying metallic looking bird.

Also there are various cryptozoological creatures that may be interesting-- chupacabra, yeti, ozark howler-- a big cat with glowing red eyes and horns, Russian Wooly Mammoth, Nandi Bear, Thunderbird, wolperdinger, and Giant Gorilla. These should be hard to find and hard to kill.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4833
Profile Homepage #18
Perfect adventurer's logic:
1. Find a rare monster.
2. Kill it!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #19
I don't know maybe you could save it from other adventurers or help it out in some way. But the usually job of adventurers is looting and pillaging anyone we decide is bad.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

Three of them (Famine, Pestilence and Death) are in the endgame
You know very well that all four are. One just isn't as obvious.

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #21
Well, true. By the time you get in the endgame, there are four Riders there. But you only get to fight three of them.

EDIT: Although it's generally thought that Death, War, Pestilence, and Famine aren't the horsemen.
There's the white horseman, who carries a bow and conquers (Conquest); the red horseman, who wields a sword and makes men kill each other (War); the black horseman, holding scales, who causes dearth (Famine); and, of course, the rider of the pale horse, called Death, followed by Hades.

The only way I see that the Four Horsemen could include Pestilence is for the white horseman to be Death and the pale horseman to be Pestilence, since thanatos is sometimes, rarely, translated as plague.

[ Monday, September 13, 2004 07:24: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #22
Cockatrices are neat. Some kinda chimera-like critter would be neat, y'know, snake-tail, lion-head, maybe some wings and talons and horns and tentacles and whatever.

Styrofoam Golems that make miniature ozone holes try to give your characters sunburns would be cool, or cursed food items that try to eat PEOPLE!

ChuCullain's(spelling?) Warp Spasm ability was neat. He turned into some kinda freaked-out, warped, ogre-like guy that could kick all kinds of ass. Forget The Incredible Hulk, buddy.

The old-school fairy critters like Redcaps and banshees are interesting.

Here's some critters from Earth legends.

Redcap - is one of the most evil of the old Border Goblins. He lives in old ruined towers and castles, particularly those with a history of wickedness. He re-dyes his cap in human blood.

Anthropophagi - a cannibal faerie. He has no head, but his eyes sit atop his shoulders and a mouth may be found in his torso. His lack of a nose allows him to eat human flesh without gagging.

Bean-Nighe - (ben-neeya) Similiar to that of the Banshee. The Washing women is the type of Banshee who haunts the lonely streams of Scotland and Ireland. Washing the blood-stained garments of those about to die. It is said that these spirits are the ghosts of women who died in childbirth and that they are fated to perform their task until the day when they would have normally died.

Bodach - also Bugbear or Bug-A-Boo. They slide down chimneys to kidnap naughty children.

Roc Roc are gigantic birds, often referred to as 'the Great', and capable of carrying off elephants for food. They are found in various stories of 'The Thousand and One Nights', and are also mentioned to by Marco Polo on his travels. Their eggs, according to Sindbad the Sailor, could measure up to 50 paces in circumference.

http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast80.htm

That picture of a "Legendary beast" makes me laugh lots.

The site that contains that image is also a good resource for finding weird critters. I like it.

[ Friday, September 24, 2004 17:55: Message edited by: Captain Uglyhead ]

--------------------
Fly beyond the ocean, over the mountains, past the moon and across the face of the sun, never to come home again.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #23
Wasn't ChuCallain a blacksmith?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #24
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%FAchulainn

I may not have gotten his name down proper. Oh well. I don't see much mention of him ever being a blacksmith. Perhaps he had dealings with one.

--------------------
Fly beyond the ocean, over the mountains, past the moon and across the face of the sun, never to come home again.

Pages